Between two wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Extreme does not have the tabs, but the tank cinches down very securely if I remove my STA. Contact Patrick at Oxycheq. I do not think the tabs are critical for a properly cinched tank. No need to buy the STA with initial purchase unless it is a special deal. I use the STA for added weight (cold water) and stability for when hiking down cliffs. There is a thread on ST that discusses STA or STA-Less. Ask the non STA users their thoughts - you will get a positive response.

I am a recreational diver on the Pacific Coast. The only times I have seen divers in need of a heavier duty cover for their holed BC were being slammed into rocks or reefs by a rouge wave, or crunched by a GWS (Just kidding only the wetsuit and skin was pierced). See the Mach V Extreme threads on ST and post questions there. Get good advice from diverse divers that actually use Oxycheq to see what they think. PM Patrick at Oxycheq. You will be more than satisfied and confident with your decision if you decide for $30 more. No GWS in the Atlantic so no need for the best? Too bad there are no local shops to compare before purchasing.

Check out SCUBAStud16 for excellent pictures of Mach V wing
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hogarthian-diving/213998-new-rig.html

Some good advice has been given by posters above regarding a wing for single and double setups...

Get the Mach V Sig...no need for the "Extreme" unless you plan on doing some serious wreck diving (prob wouldn't use a single setup then anyways)...I got one a few weeks ago to replace my OMS 32# wing...the Mach V is one of the best dive products made hands down.

Cheers.

-J.-

I own a Mach V Sig in 30# and it's pretty rugged already. I can't imagine needing a tougher wing for my purposes (recreational diver).

The diverite recwing tries to do both and as a result does both fairly poorly.

I disagree strongly.

The DiveRite Rec wing is by far my favorite wing for single tank diving, and it also does a great job for a majority of my doubles dives.

I will add, though, that the single tank diving to which I'm referring is mostly with drysuit and large volume steel tank. For the occasional diving I do with Al80 tank in warm water with wetsuit I find a back-inflate BC to be ideal.

theskull

I disagree strongly.

The DiveRite Rec wing is by far my favorite wing for single tank diving, and it also does a great job for a majority of my doubles dives.

I will add, though, that the single tank diving to which I'm referring is mostly with drysuit and large volume steel tank. For the occasional diving I do with Al80 tank in warm water with wetsuit I find a back-inflate BC to be ideal.

theskull

Hey TheSkull,
Check out SCUBAStude16 with Oxycheq Mach V wing. It looks like he has a HP120. I have HP130 on my 40# Mach V.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hogarthian-diving/213998-new-rig.html

There is also a new 55# Extreme for doubles. OxyCheq Vertex Extreme Series Wing, DIR and Technical, OxyCheq, OxyCheq Vertex Extreme Series Wing

The recwing wouldn't be on the market if performed fairly poorly. Why make generalizations without the experience.

There is no way to really use a Mach V with doubles since it is more narrow than the tank set.

I have many dives on the Mach V Signature and it is very durable and shows no wear, looks like new. Hand to hand comparisons now with a popular and well known similar product reveal the Signature to be heavier, thicker and more compact and all around more rugged looking. The "other" is very nice however as well.

N

I disagree strongly.

Try it on a 10l steel or even a 12l steel tank instead of the enourmous american aluminium tanks. Tank wrap is a major issue then.

It was "ok" but hardly great on a 15l steel tank.

Then when putting it on twins it just lacked enough lift to be comfortable with twin-12s.

Its a nasty compromise rig that can't really do either job as well as a dedicated wing.

String:
To save time i believe in:
(i) Primary donation (ii) Weight belt under crotch strap
(iii) Wing not suit for buoyancy (iv) Snorkels are pointless
Love it!! Great signature.

Also is there a wing that is excellent for singles and will do doubles in a pinch? I don't see myself doing doubles any time soon, but would like that option.
I think you've probably gotten the answer to your specific question - 'No', but a lot of additional useful insight as well. The wings that are intended to serve both purposes are OK, but not great, for either. Personally, I like the Rec Wing (and have 2 of them) but readily admit that 51lbs is overkill for singles, and there are other, better, wings for my doubles (Halcyon Explorer 55, Oxycheq Signature 50, many others listed in responses). So, focus on a singles wing to start (there are more than enough recommendations in the posts to drive you to distraction), and deal with doubles down the road. Two other points that comes out of this: 1) your diving conditions (salt/fresh, cold/warm, current/calm, etc), beyond the number and composition of tanks, play a role in determining the 'best' wing; 2) there are probably a number of wings that will do double duty and, while not optimal in either case, are functional for most diving scenarios.

Try it on a 10l steel or even a 12l steel tank instead of the enourmous american aluminium tanks. Tank wrap is a major issue then.

It was "ok" but hardly great on a 15l steel tank.

Then when putting it on twins it just lacked enough lift to be comfortable with twin-12s.

Its a nasty compromise rig that can't really do either job as well as a dedicated wing.

Why would I try MY wing on a little English tank instead of the enoromous Italian steel tanks that I prefer to dive (108 or 131 cu ft Faber)??

And when I put it on my Italian steel doubles (95 cu ft Fabers) there is plenty of lift to be comfortable. No idea how big of a tank a 12 is, or what buoyancy characteristics.

So not surprisingly, this wing may be a nasty compromise for your gear and your dive conditions, but it is nearly ideal for mine. That's why there are so many on the market.

theskull

Back
Top Bottom