Big Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

some of this thread resembles the "whack a mole" game...just when you think you've hit em, they pop-up in another hole...

My buddy for the dive was not one that I normally dive with.

Neither my buddy for the dive nor my buddy that I normally dive with are DIR divers. <bracing for impact>

My buddy that I normally dive with said to me, "Hey SeaJay, how much air you got," the moment my head was above water. He appeared to be relatively angry, but that's nothing new. He's always ticked at something, so I've learned to ignore it. I replied, "200 psi." He was silent.

When I got back on the boat, he said to me, "I didn't know whether to send down more air or what." He and his dive buddy had gotten in the water after us and had gotten out before us. (I was buddied with the out-of-stater.)

"Yeah, I blew my tables, and had to decompress. Sorry to have made you worry."

Then my "regular" buddy and the captain gave me a lecture about WHERE to deco. I was literally 10' down, and right off the ladder (my buddy and I were the only two in the water). Apparently that wasn't popular because it could have been possible that they would have needed to start the engines to come get us or something... And therefore would have preferred to have me near the bow of the boat rather than near the ladders, which were near the stern.

I just said, "Sure, man." Next time I'll be at the bow during deco. I don't see that it was really an issue, since the water was clear and everyone obviously knew exactly where I was. I never got near the engines or props... But that's not how they saw it. Whatever. Next time I'll do deco on the bow.

My dive buddy didn't say much. He didn't have to say much. He got his answers pretty much from that conversation. I had told him that I needed deco under water, and told him the amount of time... So he wasn't clueless or confused. I apologized when we surfaced, and told him my mistake. He simply brushed it off and said, "Yeah, I thought you'd overstayed a bit. I'd have been pretty surprised if you HADN'T needed to deco. No problem." Of course, that said, there was a simple understanding that next time I'd work a better dive so that unplanned things didn't happen. :D

bwerb once bubbled...
some of this thread resembles the "whack a mole" game...just when you think you've hit em, they pop-up in another hole...

:::COKE ALERT!!!:::: Now THAT was funny!

Fair enough thanks!

I guess my other issue is what was it that made you decide to go from 70 feet back down to 98 feet? I have trouble believing that you descended because your computer said you still had no deco time left on it. I am not familiar with the dive site you were on Wreck, reef, otherwise and if you covered this and I missed your answer I apolgize.

Derk

ok, i give up, after reading this entire thread, and being a completely new person to this board, my very first post will ask two burning questions:

what's a troll, and what's a sockpuppet?

Lesseee... Looking for an answer... Stupidity? Curiosity? Brain fart?

Okay, that's a little harsh. :D

Seriously, that "hump" you see in the middle of my dive profile was caused by the terrain. I was cruisin' around the ship, and went down the deck of the boat, which required an ascent from 98 feet to 72. When the wreck fell again in depth, I simply followed it.

As I was following and decending, I thought, "Check gauges again," and saw a 3 minute NDL. I waited another 30 seconds or so and began my ascent while simultaneously checking for my buddy and for the upline. I sorta gathered all of that together and headed up... Apparently very slowly. I do remember another team putting a lift bag on the anchor and taking it to the surface. Perhaps me watching that slowed my ascent to the 8 ft/min that got me in trouble.

By the time I hit 35 feet, where I could begin offgassing, I'd already overstayed my NDL. In fact, I watched it all the way up, while I ascended horizontally... And I remember watching it go to 18 minutes while seeing the ASC flag.

I also remember thinking, "WTF??" I had never seen my 'puter do that before... And I didn't quite "get it," since I WAS ascending. I kept thinking, "Am I reading this wrong?"

Nonetheless, I did a stop at 15 feet, just as I knew I should have anyway... And that gave me enough time to really think about everything. I also saw my ASC time decrease... And I knew that it was counting deco.

I also knew that deco should be eight minutes, max, since I was not down there more than five minutes past NDL... And I thought I'd tack on a 3 minute safety stop for good measure. So I checked my pressure gauge and thought, "I might not have enough."

THAT was the only real "emergency."

...So in my head, I had about 11 minutes to stay at this depth, and according to my 'puter, I had 12. No biggie... I'll do 12. I signalled to my buddy to stay level, and he signaled, "okay." At three minutes, I told him nine minutes, then gave him a signal at five, at four, at three, and so on.

Other than that, the deco was relatively boring, save for the school of jellyfish that came by. They look like clear bulbs filled with electricity! :) There were thousands...

Oh, and the waves... I avoided the upline, since it was jumping up and down quite a bit, and simply hovered, with an eye on my gauges and the other on the wildlife.

It's a very strange feeling just hovering in nothingness, going by a gauge. We could not see the bottom.

At zero, I thumbed my buddy, and we surfaced.

Whirling Girl once bubbled...
what's a troll, and what's a sockpuppet?

Troll = someone that posts something intended to just bait heated discussions. E.g. someone that comes in and posts about how great deep air is specifically to get the fur flying. See also "Jepuskar"

Sockpuppet = a second account created by an active member. Often used to troll without effecting their reputation.

Search for "troll" and "sockpuppet", and you'll find plenty of examples.

He posted that he made a mistake. When we discussed what happened and the fact that the last training he had taught him very important ways to closely estimate how much time he would have had for the dive plan it gave him the idea to post what happened to help himself and others learn from this. That is the importance of this post.

There has been a lot of educational information posted here today and a lot of crap. Many harshly judging haven't even read the information completely or even accurately. Point in case was Red Dog Diver posted "When you expose your mistakes to others and ask that people critique them..." He simply stated he made a mistake and what happened. He didn't ask for any criticizing. Many jumped right in to diagnose and crunch numbers to help others learning from this mistake. Another point where a poster just isn't reading everything completely correct is Nanook's "Do Not learn diving skills and knowledge on the internet." There have been many that have said they learned a lot from this post today. There are many of us who learn a lot here and from other places on the Internet. The problem with here is that some of what people learn is not the correct way. However, the Internet is a great source of learning and knowledge. It is putting to use what you learn in practice that makes the difference and that's where the skill comes in. You can learn a lot and still not be able to put it to use.

My point in posting is that this post and others like it here is meant to be helpful. Posting insults and attitudes that are driving this now aren't constructive. They aren't helpful. Let's get back to the intended purpose and off the insults. Or just walk away and go to another post.

Not everyone is going to agree on everything but I would bet that many would agree that the attitude and tone here is out of hand and it all started with insults.

Let's not be mean.

As for the currents here, they are rippin' and you are most certainly welcome to come dive them when they are fast to see for yourself. I have a guest room and we can hook you up.

I also have Jello!!! :D

SOME INFO FROM SUUNO!!
Safty stops are a widely considered "good diving Practice"
the stops labelwhen in the depth range 10-20 ft,
REcimended safty stop
with every dive over 10 meters the instrument has a three min countdown for the recomended safty stop the recomended safty stop as the name inplies is recomended , if ingnore there no penality

manatory safty stop
when the ACENT rate exceeds 12 meters /MIn (40) ft min
the micro buble build up is predicted to be more than allowed for in the decompression modal , the suunto RGBM calculation modal respons to this by adding a MANDATORY Safety stopto the dive.
The time will depend on the severity of the accent rate excess!!!!
the manatory safty stop will also include the 3 min recommended safty stop.

DECOMPRESSION dives
when your no deco time becomes zero your dives becomes a deco dive , ie you must perform one or several deco stops on your way to surface
also check your settings SeaJay
check to see if the mode is set to PO , or P1 or P2 I dive with mine in PO as P1 and P2 mode are just too concertive .
also I think there a way to decress the sampling time a litle bit just little bit of info and yes the suunto are very conservative but remember dive your plan but also remember your totoal underwater time also includes your accent time too !!!
as far as i can see only thing was your computer was more concerative than your plan !!! and the close call to being out of air !!!but most important to me any way is your ok and safe !!!
and maybe some of us and others learned fspmething from this .

Back
Top Bottom