Big Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To everyone EXCEPT seajay for stooping to his level of personal attacks.

That was wrong of me to follow his example.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I must have missed that part. :rolleyes:

I was referring to the debriefing and analyzing of the dives. Several people have pointed out very good and pertinent information regarding the dive profile, the SAC rates, errors in data input regarding tank sizing/working pressure, etc.

If nothing else, this has been a good exercise in that regard.

As a frequent reader but infrequent poster to this board I have some thoughts after reading this thread.

1) I need more training. I am not the most experienced nor the most skilled diver, but I am more than willing to learn at any opportunity.
2) There are a lot of very smart people on this board who know a whole lot more about diving, decompression, SAC rates, and computer algorithims than I do. I am thankful that their advice is free!
3) When you expose your mistakes to others and ask that they critique them, be prepared to take it from all sides and when those real tough questions come, sometimes you just have to sit back and eat it because you're the one who brought it up.
4) Diving is a team sport, not a competition sport. I believe that choosing a dive buddy is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. One point I don't think I read here in relation to SeaJays dive buddy was what did he say to you after the dive? I would have been some kind of pi**ed off and would have voiced that. After all as you admit, you blew the plan and you put him at risk as well as yourself. I have made mistakes in the water, so has my buddy, when the dive was over we have talked (yelled) it out. I am interested to hear your buddys comments.

SeaJay, I am thankful to you for initiating this thread as I have learned quite a bit as I do from most posts on this board. I am glad that you weren't injured as a result of your error. That being said, it is my impression of your original post and subsequent replies that I feel you have left some points out or have been deliberately vague in your answers, and when questioned on those points I have found you overly defensive, or giving other reasons not previously mentioned to back up your statements. As I was not there, I cannot say certain things did not happen but some of what you say just does not have the ring of truth in my opinion. It is also my opinion that you learn the most when all the cards are on the table. And for Nanook, we all need more training!

Dive Safe
Derk

Mike Ferrara once bubbled...
I must have missed that part. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was waaay back on page four or five or something. I've lost count.

Nanook once bubbled...
I have no experience.

I have no DIR experience.

I have no diving experience.

You've got to be kidding, right?

I learned all my skills by reading your posts.

And you wanted to tell ME not to "learn from the Internet?" C'mon... You're kidding, right?

I do have common sense, which you lack.

Breathing underwater has nothing to do with common sense.

I think the lack of red meat has thrown your electrolyte levels out of whack.

Oh, jeez... There ya go again, spouting off about something that you know nothing about.

Dive within your training.

Duh. Yes, I see it. Okay, I'll validate it. If I say it aloud will you go away? Yes, yes... We all dive within our training.

Look, let's call a truce. Nanook, give it a rest, will you please?

I've brought it up, and I've eaten it. Simple. I knew I would. (Although I didn't know it'd be this bad.)

Derk: All of the answers are there. I've provided painfully accurate testimony. If you have a specific question that's not answered yet, ask; I'll be thrilled to answer it for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom