Big Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

...you have piqued my interest.

Where is this exactly... do you have a location name... or hydrographic station name?

:D

Sure.

Check this link: http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/352.html

We're right up the river from Bluffton... About four miles or so.

That shows the tides here. They're averaging over nine feet today. Sometimes in the spring they go up to twelve.

I wish I had a way of showing the average current, but it varies widely depending on the lay of the land. Narrow rivers with a lot of water to pass (like our local Morgan River, 150' wide or less at some pinch points) can have a HUGE current... That's exactly why we find all of the fossils right there... Because the huge current tends to excavate them for you.

Of course, washing away all of that mud creates zero visibility conditions...

Which means you're diving in zero vis and LOTS of current (it's typically deminished to about half at the bottom... So... Two or three knots is common at depth).

It's for REAL MEN. :D And women, of course. Lol!!!

Of course, we think Y'ALL are nuts... No way I'd dive that cold water way up there in East Jabip...

Waterlover once bubbled...

He has better things to do than debate with a troll!!!!

Lol... Well, he never had better things to do before... :D

You still think this thread's just a troll? How can you feel that way when there's been so much great info passed around? Nine pages? :wacko:

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Maybe the wind was blowing your boat?

:confused:

Lol... Nope. The water was fairly calm that day... There was little wind.

Funny.

For the record, it's been checked - Nanook is a unique user, and is not posting from the same machine or IP address of any other user on ScubaBoard.

Hmmmmm...

Isn't it possible that they're just using different machines? If they're on dialup, then they'll have a dynamic IP address anyway... In other words, they'll always have a different IP address.

My bet is that my own posts always come from different IP addresses.

Even Uncle Pug mentioned that this person was definitely a sockpuppet. They've got sockpuppet written all over them.

SeaJay once bubbled...

Lol... Nope. The water was fairly calm that day... There was little wind.

Funny.

Hmmmmm...

Isn't it possible that they're just using different machines? If they're on dialup, then they'll have a dynamic IP address anyway... In other words, they'll always have a different IP address.

Even Uncle Pug mentioned that this person was definitely a sockpuppet. They've got sockpuppet written all over them.

Even with dial-up, where you don't have a static IP, the majority of the time the DHCP server will assign the same IP address to you.

Darryl

SeaJay once bubbled...
Actually your first and last posts in this thread have the same IP. The host is also logged.

Sure someone could log in from a different machine. Ask Nanook directly yourself.

SeaJay once bubbled...
We're right up the river from Bluffton... About four miles or so.
I must not be finding the right place... the most I can come up with in your area using my Tides & Currents program is Hilton Head with a highest value of 2.6 kts on 3-19-03 and 4-17-03 for the past year.

BTW... you asked Gearhead where we were from that we don't see 6 kt currents... well we do see them in places like Deception Pass and Agate Pass.

Friday Seattle will have a 15 foot tidal exchange... but that doesn't produce much current since it is a bay.

However Agate pass will hit 6.9 kts and Deception pass will hit 8.3 kts.

That's cookin'. I've heard about places like that. In fact, I think that Deception Pass was recently featured on the Discovery Channel or something, wasn't it?

The tidal charts I sent you have Bluffton right at the top of them, showing today's 9 foot swing of tides. There are times in the year that it's considerably more.

Do your tides come and go twice daily? That may sound like a silly question... But here, we have two high tides and two low tides in basically a 25-hour period. I understand that there are places in the world that only see one high tide and one low tide per day.

Certainly with a fifteen foot swing in tides, there are places where the currents run that fast near you. Like you said, in a bay or whatever, there's not much current... It takes a "pinch" land mass with a large body of water on either side to create current. Our "lowcountry" is a vast expanse of inland saltwater rivers, tidal in nature, and very fast flowing. Imagine the Mississippi delta, but without the Mississippi River.

That's why this area's so famous for fossils... Because they're constantly being exposed by swift-moving currents.

It's not uncommon to see local boats and ships high-and-dry.

SeaJay once bubbled...

Check this link: http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/352.html

Which means you're diving in zero vis and LOTS of current (it's typically deminished to about half at the bottom... So... Two or three knots is common at depth).

did you even look at the link you posted? It shows the local currents if you scroll down the page far enough. I think the max was around 2.6kts. The average was low 2's. This would be at max ebb and max flood.

And by your statement that the current diminishes to about 1/2 at the bottom, I guess you're diving in 1 kt.

You want to know who I am?

I am Nanook, the caller of BS wherever I see it.

I will give you a very serious piece of advice.

Do NOT learn diving skills and knowledge on the internet.

Get trained by a certified instructor by actually diving in the water. Reinforce your knowledge via discussion. You are trying to learn too much via the internet. There are too many things that you don't know. There are things you don't even realize you don't know.

Don't dive beyond your training.

Be safe.

Well then, all hail Nanook. :rolleyes:

Those currents are in the Charleston harbor, Nanook, about an hour and a half away.

The Charleston Harbor is a big, wide, open harbor.

Looking at those currents and making a judgement call on the speed of currents locally is effectively like looking at the relatively slow currents in the bay at Seattle and making a judgement call on the speed of the currents at Deception Pass.

Back
Top Bottom