Big Point bay barrie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadude_eric

Registered
Reaction score
hey,

I did a boring dive there today. Anyone know how far/ deep the yellow line runs? I hit 100' then turned around, but the line kept going. Dam at least curiosity makes the site interesting. Who knows there may be a wreck like the arabia on the end.

I put those lines in there a few years back since it was quite dangerous for new divers going down that slope on compass and getting lost in the silt-outs. Pop-up in the path of a jetski is not that appealing either. Anyways, the large logs that are attached to the line were moved into location using liftbags and zero vis while working with them at depth. No wreck at the end, sorry. The lines now make a great scootering arena and are perfect for open water divers and advanced students down to the log at 80'. Beyond that, you had better have a spare tank or doubles.

Extreme out.

:)

Hi Extreme

Thanks for putting that safety line out at Big Bay point its been very helpfull to many. I noticed that every so often some idiot cuts the line from the dock out to the slope, why can't some people just leave a good thing alone.

D M I

The bottom levels out pretty much between 100 and 110. You may find a little bowl that will give you a bit more, but out there 110 is about as much as you will find.

Like its been said, its a good area to get in and practice skills such as shooting bags, reel work, black out drills and such. The line always insure that you have a link back to where you went in.

Silverback

Hi

Silver back is correct, the majority of the bottom levels out at 110" right across the channel but I have hit the 127' depth using my Mk 8 scooters, its way out there and its dark. Lake Simcoe is no lake to play around with it can paly games with your mind down at that depth because of the easy silt outs and coldness. I suggest Aga mask with coms and scooters with elfmun lights when exploring her depths plus being able to handle a compass is helpfull.

Have a great dive

D M D

dpvcanada.com

D M I once bubbled...
Hi

Silver back is correct, the majority of the bottom levels out at 110" right across the channel but I have hit the 127' depth using my Mk 8 scooters, its way out there and its dark. Lake Simcoe is no lake to play around with it can paly games with your mind down at that depth because of the easy silt outs and coldness. I suggest Aga mask with coms and scooters with elfmun lights when exploring her depths plus being able to handle a compass is helpfull.

One would hope that if you were cruising the bottom of Lake Simcoe looking for a shortcut to downtown Barrie you would be able to handle a compass.

Then again I guess there is nothing common about common sense. :)

Your correct about using a compass, but finding a diving compass of good quality is tricky, I have about six in my collection because they all din't work very well. Any suggestions

Amobeus

In what way did they not work very well? My wife was complaining about hers mid summer. I swapped consoles with her and she's been fine since. Same compass's in each, but differently designed consoles and she just wasn't holding her original console correctly and thus the compass wasn't level and therefore not turning freely. I've only ever seen a couple of brands of diving compass, with Suunto seeming to be in the majority.

Hi

I have three sherwwoods were the arrow has come off its pivot and two scuba pros that seem to stick. I've been doing this for 20 years and only ran into this problem with in the last two years with newer models. Compasses for sale.

Amobeus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom