black vs. colored fins--opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanQ:
Jonnythan: Sure, but you wouldn't ask a sales clerk for the fins with the maximum visible light absorbtion.
I will *ask* the sales clerk for her number, and *hand* her the fins I'd like to purchase.

Who asks a sales clerk for advice?? :wink:

jonnythan:
I will *ask* the sales clerk for her number, and *hand* her the fins I'd like to purchase.

So how many pairs of fins do you have?

jonnythan:

BTW, assuming the sales clerk is a woman isn't very PC these days.

Moogyboy,
I think the answer to your question depends on what you want from them. If you are going DIR, then based on the previous posts it sounds like black. I have a pair of black and a pair of bright green. I like the black ones best but my wife likes the green ones. Her eyes do not focus too well in low light and the green is easier for her to spot me quickly. I worry more about her loosing sight of me than being blinded. Just because I can see her, doesn't mean she can see me. In 5ft-10ft vis the difference in our ability to focus is obvious. I see an obstruction, fish or diver a few seconds before she can. I'd think about what diving you are doing and then decide based on that.

zboss:
They are easy to see, which makes it easy to distinguish me from other divers, and they would (if I ever needed them) make a good signaling device.
Homer Simpson commented once about those bright orange balls that go on your car antenna so you can easily find your car at the mall. He stated they worked so well that everyone should have one. (For the slower Homer like divers out there, that is funny because if everyone had one, your car would no longer be unique and easy to find.)

Your comment reminded me of that for a minute. :crafty:

But I digress...

I like my Black Jet fins because they are Jet Fins, not because they are black. My spouse really liked the Plana Avanti's I tried for a while as the neon green was much easier to see in low visibility. As a matter of fact I often ended up with several divers following me because they saw my fins go by in the distance. In that regard they were sort of like the brightly painted war weary bombers used by WWII bomber groups to help the group for up over Great Britain prior to departing to bomb targets on the continent.

Also, the color difference in the same fin from the same manufacturer sometimes has to do with the buoyancy characteristics of the fin. ScubaPro's Twin Jets for example, the black fins are negatively buoyant while the pink or bright yellow fins are nuetral to positively buoyant.

To each their own, my fins are black.

IMHO, if you need bright fins to see your buddy in low viz, then you're too far apart.

Mel

actually there are a number of west coast DIR divers who are going with the "Pink" gear motiff these days... so it's not really important. If I remember correctly it was explained to me that black is a color least likely to fade due to sun exposure, so it makes it a very durable dive color...

Hey U.P. I remember seeing a pair of Pink Jets on Ebay a while back... none now, but keep your eyes open... there is also the Bicentenial version in red,white & blue - very patriotic fins over here http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96022

I have my black ones for when I start my cave diving. I have my yellow split jet fins for when I caribbean dive with my fiance. Not losing my baby is more important than being DIR compliant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom