black vs. colored fins--opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two pair of Apollo Bio Fins; one black, one blue. The black were the original pair bought before starting OW. The blue pair were bought (on sale) because they match my gear color. Most of my gear is blue because I want to be blue. (my lips match at the end of a Monterey dive!)

When diving on a cattle boat, my fins are easy to find in the pile. When rinsing in a community rinse trough, they are easy to find.

And they are blue.

I doubt that I have introduced any significant risk by using blue fins.

Besides, when I wear my horny hood, no one even notices my fins.

Wristshot
DIW - DIB

Let me get a bit geeky here... Black fins are black because one of the additives used in the elastomer is carbon black (powdered graphite, essentially). Carbon black is a great additive in elastomers (think car tires) because, among other things, it improves UV resistance. No other UV inhibitor works as well as carbon black. (Of course, my info is a bit dated, as I haven't done plastics in a few years).

That said, some depth of salt water is also a great UV inhibitor :D

you know, it's too bad they don't make fins in those Scottish tartan colors...

you could be McHere today and McGone tomorrow

In low viz or at distance they are easier to see. Sometimes that is good.

kidspot:
Has anyone tried putting a yellow stripe down their black fins with some of that rubber tool handle coating liquid?

I hear that just like cars with speed stripes, you'll go faster with a stripe on your fins! :wink:

I haven't tried it but the rubber tool tool is designed to encase a tool. I'm not sure if a flat surface will allow proper adhesion for any prolonged period of them... but I've got a red can and will try it this weekend. Who knows, you may discovered a new tip and may to post that in the DIY thread.

hey all

Good collection of thoughts so far. I definitely didn't expect to hear anything about pink fins.

I went ahead and ordered the black ones, btw. They're Cressi Frogs, if you're interested. I trust they'll be considerably better than the Dacor Pursuits (one of which is lost) that they are replacing, which of course were blue.

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
The enduring popularity of the eminently black Jet Fins aside, is there any substantive disadvantage to having fins be black, with regards to visibility, finding them if lost during a dive, etc., and would you choose them if other colors are theoretically available?

Regarding Scubapro Jetfins, they are actually available in many different colours in Japan. The non-black Jetfins are made from a slightly different compound though, and feel different (softer—similar to Gull fins). I’ve seen blue, white and orange. The black Jetfins are certainly superior, IMHO.

Uncle Pug:
It would really stink if we were diving in low light conditions single file and my HID was reflecting back into my eyes from my buddy's *pink* fins.

That said, if I could find a pair of pink XL Jets I'd buy 'em just for the fun of it. :D

I would be all over those!!! To go with my hot pink backplate, spool and lettering on my doubles! (-;

Kimber

According to a Science News article by S. Perkins where fish researchers analyze the science of what lures a fish,

"Many species that live primarily in clear water, such as those that inhabit coral reefs, have photoreceptors that are sensitive to red, green, blue, and even ultraviolet wavelengths of light."

Obviously any color other than black is ecologically harmful to the marine environment. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom