black vs. colored fins--opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
i have been involved in three searches for missing divers with each one lasting a minimum 5 and max 8 hours.

All three time the missing divers were spotted by plane and it was bright green fins that were spotted! Not the orange sausages and everything else that was spread out, just a good ol pair of bright fins
Very glad to hear that.

Were these guys wearing their fins, visible (from the air, I'd assume) through a couple feet of water? Or were they waving them as signals, at a boat or aircraft?

And just a coincidence that all three had bright green fins?

Would other fin colors have worked, do you think? Yellow (like my Mares :D )?

--Marek

All 3 times was 6 to 8 people in a group and one or two in each group just so happened to have bright green or yellow fins. Whether or not waving or lying flat i am not sure, i was on one of the boats, not the plane. However, it was the same guy in the plane who found them each time. As you can imagine he is well known for his nudibranch spotting abilities!
I really think only bright green or yellow would work due to contrast but i could be wrong. Black, grey, blue definitely not

I love my yellow Quattros for the visibility thing. My wife and friends never have a problem finding me in low vis. It's nice to know they can be seen from a plane as well :D

*Note to self*

Don't dive with people who wear bright green fins. They get lost.

I also found it somewhat odd in this thread that there would be a discussion of DIR and black fins, insofaras DIR people considering that hi-vis fins might be more useful in dark or low-vis situations. Though I am only beginning to learn about DIR principles, it is my understanding from those who've taken the coursework, that there is a tremendous emphasis on working TOGETHER as a team, and as such, the idea that you'd swim away from a buddy, or that your buddy would lose sight of you is simply implausible.

While I've only been on a few dives, I couldn't imagine thinking something is so important that I'd lose sight of my buddy, even if I had to swim right behind him or her to not lose contact.

"Don't leave your wingman..." :)

Don't ever dive with a uw photographer then, at least not a serious uw photog.

My wife loves it when I wear my fluorescent green Quattros. I just got a pair of UDT's in marbled blue, which is a little different. I tore the strap on my last pair of UDT's in the early 70's which was after Voit stopped making them. These are from the original rescued molds.
In this case, retro is good.

I just bought some Mares avanti quatros in blue. Diving with a group with some color variety is helpful because you can identify someone with just a glance. I like it when a dive leader has colorful fins or some form of identifying article. Easier to follow

menemsha43:
I just bought some Mares avanti quatros in blue. Diving with a group with some color variety is helpful because you can identify someone with just a glance. I like it when a dive leader has colorful fins or some form of identifying article. Easier to follow

I would think that in a dive group where everyone's wearing snazzy blue, yellow, green, pink, whatever, the guy with the black fins would stick out like a sore, eh, toe. Follow him. :)

Update: not Cressi Frogs, they were indeed out of them. My new fins are gonna be Aeris Velocitys instead. In black.

cheers

Billy S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom