Blackbeard's Trip Report June 3-9, 2006 Page 1 of 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you so much for the review bennedc! You made me long for the bahamas once again. I've done blackbeard's twice this year (March & June) and absolutely LOVE it! I love everybody down there, I agree with you, Drew is just hilarious! He was actually the instructor at my school until last year & I love him to death! He & JZ were on my boat both times. I haven't met a single crew member that wouldn't go out of their way to do anything you need to make your stay memorable. Capt. Mike is wonderful, and if you ever get a chance to go when he is in Freeport- GO! I have had many wonderful memories with blackbeards, it's pretty simple living, but for anyone who enjoys diving without all the distractions of everyday life- it is heavenly!

I actually had a question about Blackbeard's.... I called them to get some info, and the lady on the phone told me it was pretty rare for any of the Divemasters to get in the water... is that true, or was she unclear of what I was asking? Me and my wife were looking into a trip with them in December (another question... Bahamas in december good?), but we're both beginner divers and her statement turned me off to them... anyone have input??

jasondcrawford:
I actually had a question about Blackbeard's.... I called them to get some info, and the lady on the phone told me it was pretty rare for any of the Divemasters to get in the water... is that true, or was she unclear of what I was asking? Me and my wife were looking into a trip with them in December (another question... Bahamas in december good?), but we're both beginner divers and her statement turned me off to them... anyone have input??

I'll let you know when I get back on Sept 15th. I've only logged about 50 dives so far & still consider myself a beginner.

My son and I just did a Blackbeard cruise in July. We had fun and yes the Dive masters only go into the water once. Now for diving in Dec I don’t know.

Typically, unless you are doing a drift dive, the dive master stays on board to help people get on/off the boat.

jasondcrawford:

I did Blackbeard’s in late January and the water was a consistent 72. Changing on deck was fairly cool at times. The dive master stays on the boat.

The divemasters and crew dive when they feel like it. They will dive the shark feeding dive and the drift dive and at random times in between. Somebody's got to stay on board and take care of the goings-on, so they can't all have fun...it is their jobs! Don't be fooled, they do their share of diving in their off shifts. (They sort of take turns in shifts).

Most of the dives don't require divemasters. They will pick dive sites which suit the skill level of the passengers. If you want them to go with you, they will. They don't have a problem going with divers who need a buddy or helping hand.

Our group that week were mostly advanced. You can check out the depths and sites in the report.

I just got back off my Blackbeard's cruise Fri. everything you wrote was so true. I was on the Pirate's Lady. We had captain Ron, Karen as the first mate,Tom as the engineer, Drew as the DM/ comedian, Seth as the deck hand & Katie as the cook. There were only 9 passengers (8 divers & 1 non- diver). It was perfect. It was raining when we left port & when we got back, but the skies cleared just before the first dive and stayed perfect through out the trip. I was lucky enough to buddy up with an instructor who was an excellent buddy, not that I needed a baby sitter, but it was certainly comforting to know that he had more experience than I. I was very impressed with the way the crew addressed my concerns about drift diving & diving in currents, as I have never had to deal with currents, diving in quarries. I had an absolutely fabulous time. I made 19 of the 20 dives (had to sit out the last one because of no fly time limits, just wanted to be safe). I will certainly be back for a second round.

Back
Top Bottom