Blasted Ears - Infected again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
Well tomorrow is the final day of anti-biotics. Seems to have cleared up the ache and no more discharging stuff, so thats good. However my ear is still a little sensitive - at least when swallowing i get more pressure in my ear than i am used to, trust me it seems kind of different. Hoping this has all cleared up, and whilst i would like to dive this weekend, i am thinking it might wait a little longer to just be safe and also it will be after my follow up appointment on tuesday (i hate paying for these services!).

This has been discussed many times on the board but I'll throw in my 2 cents again. I dived pretty much every day, multiple dives/day in 99, in the tropics. I saw many people get multiple ear infections and they tried all sorts of cleaning procedures...cotton swabs with alcohol, vinegar etc etc. Here is what worked for me. Do NOTHING to your ear except maybe use a moistened, flat toothpick to gently clean the larger pieces of wax every few days. Do NOT use cotton swabs as this cleans off the protective oil and wax coating. After applying this method I never had another ear problem. This method was confirmed in a book by a German doctor who said divers who dive daily should do nothing to their ears. They take care of themselves but most people are hung up on the perceived grossness of a little wax. IMHO. Hank

OMG. I'm sorry but I just can't imagine sticking toothpick flat or not into my ear canal. I too do nothing special to my ears after I dive and have had no problems. Guess I've been lucky.

I was once told by a Doc to "stick nothing smaller then your elbow in your ears". I have not had infection issues but sometimes water will stay there and I use the swimmers drops to help clear that out.

Hey, if you have ear problems like that, get a set of the Doc's Pro Plugs. I only used to need ear plugs for long distance lap swimming, but now I need them in the ocean too. But get the vented plugs please.
Plus I figure if I get a brain squeeze, maybe the plugs will keep my brains inside long enough to get back to the surface. Although at this point in my life, my brain is purely a vestigial organ.

Its been a fairly rare thing for me to get ear infections, so i am treating this as a one off, i guess it is just my sensitivity i feel about my ears regarding their unwillingness to equalize sometimes etc.

Went back to the doc, even though i had finished the course of anti-biotics i was feeling some fluid in behind my eardrum (could hear it drain at night - nice), no deafness, could still equalise from swallowing, so didnt think it would be too bad. So i have gotten back on the sudafed and will see if that clears things out, otherwise i will sit out this weekend's diving as well - i really hate being dry, particularly 3 weekends in a row!

I will go on to use some 50/50 alcohol/H202 mix after diving just for insurance once i do get back in the water. So if i dont dive this weekend, i should hope next weekend!

Anyway, from my experiences, if the doc does not give me both oral anitbitoics and hydrocortisone drops - I'm asking for both, begging, threatening, whatever it takes.
So much better with the HDC drops... :wink:

For those who care to know the 3 dives and near 4 hours i spent UW this weekend went pretty much without a hitch - a little tough on my ears equalizing after 4 weeks dry, but nothing i couldnt get over. A little alcohol mix in the ears afterwards just added some extra security :wink: Lets hope this doesnt happen again, between this and the 3 hurricanes i have missed out on at least 50 dives in the last 4 months - i cannot allow these kinds of disruption to keep happening! :wink:

Obvious a lot more than one way to skin a cat.

But if you are looking for a cheap way to prevent another infection then I agree with Mechdiver and the others only my recipe is different.

Use a one third mix of hydrogen peroxide, surgical alcohol and white vinegar. Use it before and after diving if you like but more important that you use it after than before.

Got the recipe from a Cave Diving Instructor in Mexico who was diving freshwater (more chance of infection) caves day in and day out. He swore by it and it worked for me while I was there.

If you have the beginning of an infection I swear that you will feel/hear the peroxide fizzing in your ear as it kills the nasties.

but, don't take my word for it try it.

That 1/3 1/3 1/3 mix is the ticket. I have been prome to such ear infections where my entire drum swells and I can't hear a thing. My M.D. also prescribed the hydrogen peroxide and alcohol for an after diving swish. The vinager must be added for good cleaning properties. I Don't dive or swim without it! [/COLOR]

I got the part about thirds :wink:

The only thing i can see is that you would create a buffer solution by mixing the mildly acidic alcohol with the alkaline vinegar, which might be nicer on the ear in some way. So far i have only used H2O2 and alcohol, but i can mix in some vinegar for the next dives on thursday-saturday (so good to be back in the water again).

Thanks for the help y'all :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom