Blasted Ears - Infected again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used the 1/3rds "recipe" ever since I saw the thread last year on it. The I use white vinegar, distilled water and alcohol, and throw a couple drops of peroxide in for fun. I mean, sheesh, a 2 oz bottle will last me a year! I use it at the end of my diving day, not between dives.

simbrooks:
The only thing i can see is that you would create a buffer solution by mixing the mildly acidic alcohol with the alkaline vinegar...
Vinegar (acetic acid) would not be alkaline. You want to create an acidic environment anyway so buffering it would just diminish the effectiveness. Also, chronic use of hydrogen peroxide in the ear will strip the natural waxes which are your first line of defense. Occaisional use probably would not cause a problem but everyday on a dive vacation would not be wise.

liberato:
Vinegar (acetic acid) would not be alkaline. You want to create an acidic environment anyway so buffering it would just diminish the effectiveness. Also, chronic use of hydrogen peroxide in the ear will strip the natural waxes which are your first line of defense. Occaisional use probably would not cause a problem but everyday on a dive vacation would not be wise.
Doh silly me, forgetting my chemistry again - oh well, i will go get some vinegar and only add a dash of peroxide. Thanks for the correction, i thought it sounded strange to make a buffer, but thats what you get when you dont touch this stuff in a while..... :wink:

Simon,

I've never used peroxide in my mix. Have to agree on the harshness on the ears. Ever since I was a tad pole I was attracted to water like a labador retriever. My mom used to put 1/2 alc, 1/2 vinegar mix in each ear every night before bed and I still use this formula today.

Wildbill:cop_2:

The vinegar is supposed to help restore the proper pH to the ear canal, while the alcohol has a drying effect. I swear by this mix, it has prevented many a case of swimmer's ear, with my children, since learning of it. I haven't had any ear problems since beginning diving, either. I use it after every dive.

Foo

It is my understanding that most of the ears infections experienced by divers are caused by bacteria that are already resident in our ears taking advantage of the inflamation of the ear drum that can result from diving. The following video has helped a lot of my dive buddies to reduce that inflamation and gives a good understanding of the mechanism. This, together with a mixture of vinegar and alcohol as an ear rinse have reduced my frequent infections to zero.
http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=789

Glenn

Hi Simbrooks. I've had the same problem with ear infections several times over my years of diving. Having seen my Internist and three different ENTs this is what I've found that works. Pure alcohol after EVERY dive in the ear canal. This was told to me by the second ENT I saw. She said that it drys out the ear and thus leaves no medium for the bacteria to grow. The third ENT told me to use a 50% alcohol and 50% white vinegar (if it matters he was at Hopkins). I use this mix after getting my after-dive shower. The vinegar (acetic acid) is an antiseptic that prevents infection and the growth of microoganisms. I make this an important part of my diving--equally important as equipment maintenance. It has worked and is darn cheap. After two trips to the emergency room during my dive trips because of ear infections I take this very seriously.
As for the first ENT I saw, he didn't think it was funny when I told him I thought there was a starfish in my ear.....

simbrooks:
Well tomorrow is the final day of anti-biotics. Seems to have cleared up the ache and no more discharging stuff, so thats good. However my ear is still a little sensitive - at least when swallowing i get more pressure in my ear than i am used to, trust me it seems kind of different. Hoping this has all cleared up, and whilst i would like to dive this weekend, i am thinking it might wait a little longer to just be safe and also it will be after my follow up appointment on tuesday (i hate paying for these services!).

I to have ears that tend to infect if not taken care of. I use a 50/50 mixture of distilled vinegar and de-natured alcohol after each dive.

As previously stated, the alcohol displaces the water retained in the ear canal. the vinegar, being slightly acidic works on bacteria / germs that may be present.

I keep a small squeeze bottle in my dive kit for this purpose.

It works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom