Blue Shift when diving nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've noticed that when I dive nitrox that I see a slight blue shift on items (the color blue appears to radiate to one side of he item like when you change the convergence on old big screen TV's) ... no I have not violated any MOD's, et. al. :) ever ever ever so please don't mention that as a possibility. I'm also not considering oxtox because it happens almost from the minute the dive starts regardless of the % > 28 that I am diving. And no I'm not on mushrooms, lsd, etc... :)

This happens almost immediately during descent and continually throughout the dive. I'm not on any medication. I do wear contacts and have a slight stigmatism but thats about all.

Is this just me or are there other divers out there that experience this?

BTW - I am aware that visual abnormailities are a symptom of oxtox but given an extremely short dose, low PO2, and depth I can't imagine that it is related to O2 toxicity.

zboss:
Hi Folks,

I've noticed that when I dive nitrox that I see a slight blue shift on items (the color blue appears to radiate to one side of he item like when you change the convergence on old big screen TV's) ... no I have not violated any MOD's, et. al. :) ever ever ever so please don't mention that as a possibility. I'm also not considering oxtox because it happens almost from the minute the dive starts regardless of the % > 28 that I am diving. And no I'm not on mushrooms, lsd, etc... :)

This happens almost immediately during descent and continually throughout the dive. I'm not on any medication. I do wear contacts and have a slight stigmatism but thats about all.

BTW - I am aware that visual abnormailities are a symptom of oxtox but given an extremely short dose, low PO2, and depth I can't imagine that it is related to O2 toxicity.
You don't see the effect on air?
You see this blue shift say on 30' on 32% nitrox?

Is it always the same side that is bluish? Do both eyes see it or one? Has it always been like this on nitrox? How long have you noticed it? Have you seen this any other time?
Lloyd

zboss:
Hi Folks,

I have never knowticed such a shift even with 100% oxygen use for many hours.

Saturation:
You don't see the effect on air?
You see this blue shift say on 30' on 32% nitrox?

almost immediately upon descent... even at 15 to 20 feet, and it happens EVERY time I dive nitrox, since my training. Yes - the bluish tint is seen to the right everytime.... I don't quite remember if it happens to both eyes or one. Next time I will pay more attention. This does NOT happen on air.

Please keep in mind though that this is only apparent on extremely white objects like a shot line, new anchor line, etc...

I am thinking that it may be related to my contacts...I wonder how saturated eyes get during a nitrox dive... or how quickly they reach saturation. I dive with unique lenses that are almost 90% water. I am wondering if the lenses absorb any O2 from the eyes... I have no clue.

Luckly - I have a eye doctor appointment coming up and my doctor is a retired navy doctor... maybe he will know.

zboss:
almost immediately upon descent... even at 15 to 20 feet, and it happens EVERY time I dive nitrox, since my training. Yes - the bluish tint is seen to the right everytime.... I don't quite remember if it happens to both eyes or one. Next time I will pay more attention. This does NOT happen on air.

Please keep in mind though that this is only apparent on extremely white objects like a shot line, new anchor line, etc...

I am thinking that it may be related to my contacts...I wonder how saturated eyes get during a nitrox dive... or how quickly they reach saturation. I dive with unique lenses that are almost 90% water. I am wondering if the lenses absorb any O2 from the eyes... I have no clue.

Luckly - I have a eye doctor appointment coming up and my doctor is a retired navy doctor... maybe he will know.
Thanks, zboss. It does not sound like oxtox but l don't know what it could be. Lloyd maybe able to help as he is an eye guy.

Not an eye doc, but do you have astigmatism (spelling may not be correct). This and/or contacts to correct this may produce these results. People with high power corrections on the eye glass sometime see this as do photographers with mpvarious lenses and camera combos (like almost all the new 8mp prosumer digital cameras).

Could be that the higher oxygen content may be making your eyes more sensitive. Just a thought a medical expert may have a better answer.

Back
Top Bottom