Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to disagree with you Walter. These guys were doing stuff with Sheck, experimenting with all kinds of mixtures at a time when no recreational divers outside the cave community were doing so. When they would show up on charter boats in the NE they would always being given a hard time for bringing O2 on board and for diving mix. No one in the rec community was diving mix at this time, except this tight knit group of cave divers.

They were right on the cutting edge and they both were gifted, talented divers. They made a mistake and paid the price.

It's been awhile since I read the book, and memory has faded, but I remember thinking the author did a piss-poor job of writing it. He could never decide whether he wanted to be a neutral observer or a man mourning his friends. So he mucked around doing both. He needed a plan, some discipline and a better editor.

It still wouldn't suprise me to see it turned into a movie. I think a good director could do a good job with it.

Who do yall think would play the principals?

TwoBit

It would make a great movie. I, for one, would definitely see it multiple times. Not sure who would be good for actors...might be good to get people who nobody really knows to avoid predispositions about actors and typecasting, etc. Mel Gibson as Chris Rouse and Jason Lee as Chrissy Rouse would probably work though :D

Regardless how one feels about the book, I think reflecting on the Rouses' lives and their accident is a good way to remember them and to force me to think about my own diving. Next weekend is the 10 year anniversary of the Rouses' accident, which occured on October 12, 1992. It is also Columbus Day weekend, and as usual, I have scheduled a dive trip. I will be diving 2 wrecks in the 100-130 foot range off Hatteras, NC and will be in the same ocean as the Rouses were 10 years earlier. I know many of my thoughts will be about them next weekend and how we shared an intense love of this sport and how we would rather be diving on a long, holiday weekend than doing anything else in the world.

Hey Eric, I have the Caverns, Measureless book you can borrow if you want. He is the hardcore of the hardcore.

It would be a good read on our trip down to Fla. in Nov/Dec.

As far a writing ability and keeping interest I think some of the chapters are really good and some a little slow, if you want a more in depth look at cave diving that is the one.

I was intrigued by Cave Divers as another of Robert Burgess' books on sailing was a big inspiration on me getting into sailing and choice of boat. He is quite a prolific writer and adventurer. Hung out with Hemingway I believe. Interesting guy, and very accessible via email.

I just love those stories/pix of them diving into caves with no wetsuit, blue with cold, flashlights filled with oil, wrapped in tape, little/no training... geez, here we are with drysuits and hids.

Tommy

.. and found it a very enlightening story of the evolution of both wreck and cave/cavern diving. I agree with divemistress that the writing style and editing were not great, with a lot of redundancy and repetition (didn't I just say that?!?) but the story of the Rouse's and other pioneers and intense divers is riveting.

I'm very sure that I don't want to dive much below the rec limits, but it's sobering to "hear" and "see" second-hand what happens when one pushes the envelope to or past the limits. His descriptions of the effects of the bends was frighteningly too real---I NEVER want to experience this personally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom