BP/W...please explain what it is!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverite (and possible others) have weight pockets that you can attach to the belt of yoru BP/W setup SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Pockets.

These are dumpable weights. You can put ten pounds in them and carry the rest of your weight wherever you want it.

Jeff

Oh, nice! But what the hell is with the crotch strap I see on these harness'? I don't want that, I would like a harness with a chest buckle and stomach, but loose the crotch!

WOW! A lot of good information here, and yea...should be a sticky.

Now I am a bit of a minimalist as it is, and this BP/W things sounds nice, but I have one issue with it. I dislike weight belts, and I am a floater, always have been. In a Full 6.5m Farmer John I require 30lbs to sink. In a 6.5m Shorty 14lbs...this is in fresh water. I also like the idea of SOME dump-able weight, which with a BP/W sounds like it isn't that hard to add. I am not talking a lot of dump-able weight, maybe 10lbs.

So where do I start assembling a BP/W setup? Obviously I can check with my LDS, and I will, but is it a situation of all Back Plates fit everyone, just pick a Single vs Double? I imagine the only thing to worry about fit on is the Harness..which I take it is also called the Webbing.

One of the manufacturers that is consistently recommended here is Deep Sea Supply (DSS). Check out their website https://www.deepseasupply.com/ as well as their sub forum here on ScubaBoard Deep Sea Supply - ScubaBoard. The owner's name is Tobin and he can answer any question that you can think of as well as a great many that you won't think to ask.

Most manufacturers make one size backplates DSS has five different sizes for a more custom fit. One backplate can accomodate both singles and doubles (although you may need to get a single tank adapter for use with certain varieties. This is not an issue with DSS though).

With the wing you are better off picking the type that you will be diving; if you plan on doing both single double tank diving then you will get better results with separate singles and a doubles wings.

For the harness you can get either a Hog style (one long length of 2" webbing with hardware attached) which is completely adjustable or you can opt for more of a traditional harness variety (which isn't quite as adjustable).

If you find yourself needing additional weight DSS also makes bolt on weights that fit their backplates.

Jason

Oh, nice! But what the hell is with the crotch strap I see on these harness'? I don't want that, I would like a harness with a chest buckle and stomach, but loose the crotch!

The crotch strap is what keeps the rig from riding up around your chin. Remember, with this set-up you aren't wedged into a bunch of foam padding; therefore it fastens on differently than a traditional BCD.

Now I am a bit of a minimalist as it is, and this BP/W things sounds nice, but I have one issue with it. I dislike weight belts, and I am a floater, always have been. In a Full 6.5m Farmer John I require 30lbs to sink. In a 6.5m Shorty 14lbs...this is in fresh water. I also like the idea of SOME dump-able weight, which with a BP/W sounds like it isn't that hard to add. I am not talking a lot of dump-able weight, maybe 10lbs.

My weighting is correct and I use an Ali BP, 3mm full suit and need no extra weight. If I did need extra weight (sometimes when diving with multiple stages), I can happily put a few lbs on a weightbelt.

However, if you do need that much weight then the modular design of BP&W configurations will give you options.

You can buy ready made integrated weight pockets that fit onto the waist-band of harnesses...and also trim weight pockets that fit onto the cam band (if diving single cylinder). You can also buy weights that bolt onto the backplate or between double cylinder set-ups.

So where do I start assembling a BP/W setup? Obviously I can check with my LDS, and I will, but is it a situation of all Back Plates fit everyone, just pick a Single vs Double?

You can buy them ready made. Google for brands such as Halcyon (model: Eclipse), OMS, Dive Rite or Oxycheq to see your options.

The BP is universal - for either single or double cylinders, although they can be offered in varying sizes, weights and materials. Most people opt for a standard size made out of steel.

Harnesses come in varying designs. Some are more akin to conventional BCD systems...with adjustments, quickrelease buckles, fixed d-rings and padding....others are just a simple, single, piece of webbing threaded through slots in the backplate.

You choose what is most appropriate for you.... but most divers tend to gravitate towards the more simple webbing design. This is because it is easily (and infinitely) adjustable, simple, uncluttered and cheap/easy to replace. The option of one or two quick releases on the shoulders benefits some divers, although is by no means necessary unless you have mobility problems in your shoulders/arms for getting into and out of the harness.

Despite 'appearing' uncomfortable, the metal backplate does not require the addition of extra padding for most divers.

I imagine the only thing to worry about fit on is the Harness..which I take it is also called the Webbing.

As I mentioned, you can either buy a harness with adjustments and releases....or a simple webbing 'belt' that threads through the BP. You adjust that belt to fit you (as it is threaded through the BP). As such, the adjustment is infinite....you just get a sufficiently long length of webbing, fit it, adjust it to fit and then cut off the surplus.

There is no need for a chest strap on any type of BCD. It is a completely superfluous design element....added with the anticipation that customers expect a BCD to fit like a rucksack.....

In contrast, the crotch strap is a practical addition, that ensures you remain correctly fitted into the BCD when floating at the surface. With a weightbelt pulling you down, and the BCD floating at the surface...the end result is that you slip down inside the BCD. With most (bulky, padded) jacket-style BCDs, you are sufficiently enclosed in the BCD to prevent this becoming an issue. However, with a BP&W the crotch strap is essential to ensure your safe floatation on the surface.

The crotch strap is not noticeable or functional once you descend underwater.

Just keeps the BP/W in place. I absolutely never notice mine --and when I wear a drysuit, I have two crotch straps.

It's nothing to worry about.

Jeff

The biggest difference between the two is that a BP/W is modular. With a jacket or rear-inflation BCD you are stuck with whatever the manufacturer put on it;
This isn't true in general. I know my back-inflate BCD is relatively modular, not quite to the point of BP/W since the "Harness" and "backplate" equivalents are stuck together, however the wing, tank-bands, most of the straps and everything are modular. For now I like all the "bells and whistles" (integrated weight system, pockets, etc., but I think if I ever get into more technical stuff, I can probably use the same wing I have now and just buy a backplate system. It can also take doubles if I go that route at some point.

Zeagle has somewhat blurred the line between the two since their high end BCDs have a lot of BP/W features, although for a minimalist there is still too many extras I'm sure.

Actually I'm just about to purchase the crotch strap for my BCD, wetsuit compression combined with adding air at depth results in my rig not staying in position as well as I'd like on deeper dives. I'd consider it a good feature, it won't be as painful as you think :)

The crotch strap is a key element of the platform. If you're going to dive a BP/W, you need to use the crotch strap. After 2-3 dives you won't even notice it.

you guys should make a sticky about this...every new diver has this question.

Unfortunately that's not true, as the VAST majority of new divers can go an entire lifetime of recreational diving and never see or even hear of a BP/W. They go into a shop, take a course, and then happily buy or rent whatever that shop has on the shelf.

Don't confuse the relative handful of ScubaBoard members with "every new diver."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom