BP/Wing Throwing your head forward???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman:
I am just starting out and my DM instructed me against the BP/Wing saying that when you surface it wil constantly throw me face first into the water and I'll be fighting it. Is this true? I noticed he didn't sell them so that got me thinking hmm....

Not true at all....also add Dive Rite to the list of well known bp/wings.

--Matt

As everyone said before. It is not true at all. I love my BP/W and would not dive anything else. (Unless I have nothing else to dive with). one thing I love about my wing is that when i am doing a surface swim or just waiting for a buddy to get into the water I just lay on my back and the wing acts like a nice gentle pillow under me... but that is just me.

There are alot of good brands out there.

robbcayman:
Is Halycon the way to go with BP/W??? I don't care what my DM says I'm getting one.

If your rig is properly adjusted and not overinflated, it won't pitch you forward. Otherwise, it's possible, however that's the price you'll pay for not using the equipment properly. If your shop tells you differently, I'd start edging towards the door.

Halcyon is fine but certainly not the only option out there. The differences between most backplates are cosmetic, just be careful to buy one with finished edges or that you're prepared to smooth them over yourself. Wings come in greater variety, but I wouldn't hesitate to use wings from Halcyon (I own two) or Dive Rite or Deep Outdoors or even Zeagle. I'm sure there are more good ones out there (like the Apeks stuff) but I don't have any experience with them. I'd steer clear of the OMS wings, search for bondage wings for an explanation.

robbcayman:
I am just starting out and my DM instructed me against the BP/Wing saying that when you surface it wil constantly throw me face first into the water and I'll be fighting it. Is this true? I noticed he didn't sell them so that got me thinking hmm....

Well, if you've got an Al80 and a light backplate, the Al80s buoyancy may tend to push you head down. The issue there is not the BP/W, but the Al80. Either get a steel tank, or some tank weights or a weighted STA and this issue is easily fixed.

Putting a bladder around you that constricts your breathing (aka jacket BC) is an idiotic solution to this problem. Try diving a BP/W before buying one and figure it out for yourself. Your DM has probably never tried diving one before.

robbcayman:
Is Halycon the way to go with BP/W??? I don't care what my DM says I'm getting one.

As to your earlier question, since Hollywood allowed Jessica to use it (we wouldn't want to see her face down would we) it can't be all bad. :D

Seriously, Halcyon is one way to go. The beauty of a BP/W setup is the modularity. You can go for another manufacturer's BP (e.g., hammerhead, diverite, OMS, etc.), choose a wing with the proper hole alignment and even make your own harness (pink may match your avatar :wink: ) for a truly customized rig.

robbcayman:

My instructor was just as wimp, and by trying not to single out backplates alone, generalized, and casually mentioned that all back inflation versions tend to throw you face down on surface.

Stubborn as I am I wanted to rent BI because a squeezebox jacket felt awful (those 20 year old rentals maybe weren't the most enticing). I had to make the shop add a BI into their repertoire... So out to lake, and I tried every trick possible to get my face flying into the water when surfacing. No luck. I've only managed to do it later with a configuration where weight pockets can be moved so front (rental had integration) that all lead hangs on my navel - AND then blowing the bladder up so that it screams out in pain. Yep, I finally tipped on my face. This pretty much dispelled the myth for me. It's not something that WILL happen, and the maybe increased risk re: jacket can be reduced by fiddling with the combo.

piikki:
all lead hangs on my navel - AND then blowing the bladder up so that it screams out in pain.

Doesn't that make your navel scream out in pain? eyebrow

Seriously, I applaud you testing thing for yourself, a regular myth buster.

Tobin

piikki:
My instructor was just as wimp, and by trying not to single out backplates alone, generalized, and casually mentioned that all back inflation versions tend to throw you face down on surface.

Stubborn as I am I wanted to rent BI because a squeezebox jacket felt awful (those 20 year old rentals maybe weren't the most enticing). I had to make the shop add a BI into their repertoire... So out to lake, and I tried every trick possible to get my face flying into the water when surfacing. No luck. I've only managed to do it later with a configuration where weight pockets can be moved so front (rental had integration) that all lead hangs on my navel - AND then blowing the bladder up so that it screams out in pain. Yep, I finally tipped on my face. This pretty much dispelled the myth for me. It's not something that WILL happen, and the maybe increased risk re: jacket can be reduced by fiddling with the combo.
Thanks for posting this...I was about to type up a similar experience...too much weight in the front with a full BI bladder and empty AL tank and I found I COULD be pushed forward ... I interpreted that as 'somethings wrong with this configuration' NOT 'somethings wrong with my BI BC'.

Hmm...interesting.
I have been sitting motionless on the surface with my BP/W and I will go face forward. Have been working on the configuration, but so far not much luck. I am thinking that I am assuming that it will keep my head out of the water more like a BC will, but right now, the waterline is at my chin. Have tried removing some of the air, but then I just sink. Yes, I am slightly overweighted as I dive pretty shallow (under 20ft.) and have been taking into account surge and current.

Back
Top Bottom