BP/Wing Throwing your head forward???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefraff:
I'd steer clear of the OMS wings, search for bondage wings for an explanation.

Another OMS trasher, all that BS about the OMS wings is just that, BS, I know this from personal experience.

Have you ever seen or tested an OMS bladder?
probably not.

Mandy3206:
Another OMS trasher, all that BS about the OMS wings is just that, BS, I know this from personal experience.

Have you ever seen or tested an OMS bladder?
probably not.
Yes, I've seen them (heck, they're hard to miss) and actually used the dreaded Bungied Wings of Doom. So, there, nya, nya. :wink:

Capsule review: if your diving consists of paddling around in shallow open water, they are probably acceptable. Most anything is in those conditions. Based upon MY personal experience, they should not be taken inside a wreck or deep. They're too snaggy and using a properly sized wing is a better idea than crimping up one that's too big.

I can't figure out the angry tone of your post - it's not like I said anyone who dives bungeed wings is an ignorant fashionista or compared that rumpled look they have to your mother's butt in a thong... :11:

It sounds like DIR-F class. :)

mikswi:
EXACTLY!! What worked for me was to take 70% of the weight on my belt and place it directly inline with my spine. This acted as a counter balance and allowed me to me to float comfortably on my back or, in a positive upright position.

I agree, take a boyancy class or spend some time in a controlled environment finding out what the minimal weight you can carry is.

I heard the 'face forward' studd when I moved from a jacket to a back inflate BCD, and then when I moved to a backplate. I never found it to be true.

I have one of Tobin's rigs from Deep Sea Supply - I can really recommend it for a number of reasons. He's innovative and it has some very nice subtle touches you start to appreciate very quickly.

reefraff:
Yes, I've seen them (heck, they're hard to miss) and actually used the dreaded Bungied Wings of Doom. So, there, nya, nya. :wink:

Capsule review: if your diving consists of paddling around in shallow open water, they are probably acceptable. Most anything is in those conditions. Based upon MY personal experience, they should not be taken inside a wreck or deep. They're too snaggy and using a properly sized wing is a better idea than crimping up one that's too big.

I can't figure out the angry tone of your post - it's not like I said anyone who dives bungeed wings is an ignorant fashionista or compared that rumpled look they have to your mother's butt in a thong... :11:

You're entitled to your opinion, but I find OMS wings of one of the highest quality out there, that is in materials and crafmanship, those wings are bulletproof in my opinion.
I got Dive Rite wings too, but I find them of lesser quality,just my opinion.

I didn't tried to post in an angry tone, sorry my bad if thats what was transmited, but you should be more careful and not project yourself, comparing that rumpled look they have to your mother's butt in a thong is because I gave your mother the thong, stop sneaking and peeping your mom pervert

Nothing wrong with OMS wings, besides the pull dump. The issue is with the [unnecessary;entanglement hazard; drag creating] bungges.

Mandy3206:
Aside from the possibility of snagging, the only thing bad I've ever heard about the OMS "BWOD" is that in the event of a puncture, the gussets will help to ensure that all of the gas is quickly squeezed from the bladder, even if the hole is on the underside.

In your experience, what's BS about that assessment? If it's true, it's a pretty good reason not to use them for deep dives around sharp, snaggy, puncturing things like you might find in a wreck, isn't it?

OMS?

OMS as a company and manufacturer of tech gear is horrible, IMHO.

But I gotta say that their single wing is top notch. In fact, I think that it blows away the Eclipse. It's sized right, the cordura outer cover is very stout, the inner bladder is OK, and it can be had with a proper length corrugated hose with no pull dump and a standard plastic...read non-stainless steel...dependable inflator. On top of that it even has cut outs for cam bands.

I put one side by side my Agir wing and with the exception of the inner bladder material, the two were very similar. If it wasn't from OMS I'd give it 5 stars.

Of course, you can't get a steel plate from them because of "the steel shortage". But you're gonna have that!

robbcayman:
I am just starting out and my DM instructed me against the BP/Wing saying that when you surface it wil constantly throw me face first into the water and I'll be fighting it. Is this true? I noticed he didn't sell them so that got me thinking hmm....

I switched to a Halcyon BP/W about 6 months ago...what your DM is telling you could not be farther from the truth!!! I had FAR more trouble going face down with my previous rig. With the Halcyon, you are in complete control of your trim at and below the surface. In fact, I was fooling around a couple weeks ago at the surface, and I found that just by moving my head around, I coupld completely control how I was positioned in the water.

I obviously feel strongly about the Halcyon, but I have never dove anything else, so I wouldn't know. However, I can tell you that the quality of the product is incredible, and their customer service is UNMATCHED.

Good Luck.

Ok guys, I've admited before that for wreck penetration I won't use my bungied bladder, but I recently bought a non banded bladder from OMS too and it works great, I got this new bladder 'cause I plan on some wreck diving.

If someone doesn't like or want to use a bungied wing, thats OK with me.

What I don't like is trashing a Brand gear for one product that some may not like, if you like non banded wings, you may find some bullet proof wings from OMS that are non banded.

If manufacturing banded wings was a crime, Dive Rite is guilty of this crime too since they have the gusset control system on some of their wings and I don't see no one trashing DR or steering away posible buyers from them.

Lets be objective, if the bungies is what bothers some, them stick to the bungies, not the manufacturer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom