BP/Wing Throwing your head forward???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman:
I am just starting out and my DM instructed me against the BP/Wing saying that when you surface it wil constantly throw me face first into the water and I'll be fighting it. Is this true? I noticed he didn't sell them so that got me thinking hmm....

Not true generally UNLESS its a big wing with a lot of lift relative to tank size, example a single tank wing. Even then it only does it a bit if fully inflated.

If its an issue at all the solution is simple. DONT totally fill it on the surface. Its not needed.

With twinsets etc this is a non issue.

Scuba_Jenny:
Hmm...interesting.
I have been sitting motionless on the surface with my BP/W and I will go face forward. Have been working on the configuration, but so far not much luck. I am thinking that I am assuming that it will keep my head out of the water more like a BC will, but right now, the waterline is at my chin. Have tried removing some of the air, but then I just sink. Yes, I am slightly overweighted as I dive pretty shallow (under 20ft.) and have been taking into account surge and current.

Thought about putting a bigger wing on??

Hmm. Well, it is a 30lb wing, and should be plenty. The last time I tried this exercise I was wearing skins. Have a 4lb plate and carry 5lbs on the weightbelt. Yes, I tried this with an AL80.

Scuba_Jenny:
Hmm. Well, it is a 30lb wing, and should be plenty. The last time I tried this exercise I was wearing skins. Have a 4lb plate and carry 5lbs on the weightbelt. Yes, I tried this with an AL80.

Hi Jenny,

It's most likley the overweighting. With too much weight, you need to add too much air to the wing. Now instead of having a small "bubble" right behind your head and shoulders, you have started to fill the wing further down along the tank.

Try it with less on the belt.

Tobin

robbcayman:
I am just starting out and my DM instructed me against the BP/Wing saying that when you surface it wil constantly throw me face first into the water and I'll be fighting it. Is this true? I noticed he didn't sell them so that got me thinking hmm....

I dive a Sherwood Avid BC and did try a few back inflates in pools before buying,

With moderate inflation I was not thrown forward at all by the back inflates and if I made it a point to lay back they went into "raft mode" and I could rest peacefully.

For various and sundry reasons I went with the Sherwood Avid (a jacket style bc) and while I really like the thing after 54 dives so far I don't find it to be the relaxing armchair that some tout it as being. I do need to maintain my position to remain plumb or a little laid back on the surface.

When the time is right I expect that there will be a BPW in my future. The bottom like is to try before you by and buy what you will be able to dive securely and comfortably. What works for you works for you.

There are some shops that refuse to deal in back inflates for the single tank recreational wetsuited diver, I know of one as well.

Pete

Scuba_Jenny:
With the large bubble in your wing (to counter being overweighted) and the aluminum tank, your center of gravity is going to swing forward. Try moving the weight as far toward your back as you can as a counter-balance.

I agree with you - you've got plenty of lift, a larger wing isn't going to resolve this.

If I'm in singles, I have a slight tendency to go forward on the surface with an Al80. It sure as heck doesn't throw or force me forward.

The solution? Very slight fin movement to keep me vertical, or just lay on my back like I'm in a Lazy Boy.

cool_hardware52:
Doesn't that make your navel scream out in pain? eyebrow

Seriously, I applaud you testing thing for yourself, a regular myth buster.

Tobin

Busting business can certainly make body parts squeak if not shriek occasionally. I'd say experimenting with weights has been one such 'gymnastic' event for sure :)

When none of the nearby shops carry any plates, and after reading this board, I was not going to let this back inflation thing go with a shrug. I gave that one and only BI-rental several good sweaty runs before deciding to 'disobey' the advice from my OW course.

EXACTLY!! What worked for me was to take 70% of the weight on my belt and place it directly inline with my spine. This acted as a counter balance and allowed me to me to float comfortably on my back or, in a positive upright position.

I agree, take a boyancy class or spend some time in a controlled environment finding out what the minimal weight you can carry is.

reefraff:
With the large bubble in your wing (to counter being overweighted) and the aluminum tank, your center of gravity is going to swing forward. Try moving the weight as far toward your back as you can as a counter-balance.

I agree with you - you've got plenty of lift, a larger wing isn't going to resolve this.

My BP/W force me to perfect horisozontal trim below the water??? I find that I use much less energy to propel myself forward with the frog kick. What shall I do???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom