Brand new BC leaking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

21isfun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So whats the deal?

I just bought an Aeris Contour BC form Scubatoys back in June for a trip that was supposed to be in July-well the trip got pushed back until recently, and so after getting all my gear I had just checked it out in fiance's pool and then put it back in the box until the trip. It had seemed fine in the pool, but since its only 5 foot deep I couldn't do much checking and didn't have someone else checkin me out while I was in the water.
It held air and all my other new gear was working so I thought it was a-ok!

Well on the trip we get out on the first dive and my buddy notices a very slow but steady stream of tiny bubbles escaping from where the inflator hose attaches at the shoulder. My BC was doing ok, it wasn't affecting my buoyancy all that much, I added 3-4 puffs of air over the course of the dive and decided to get it fixed after surfacing.

Once topside, I checked to make sure the hose wasn't just tweaked in the fitting and then I took it to a local shop (in Moorea French Polynesia theres only a handful of dive operators, and only one that was willing to take a look at it since all the others are hotel based operators). He took it apart and to both of our surprise it wasn't going to be an easy O-ring fix as we thought. I guess this system is a "direct system", and it doesn't use an o-ring, but a direct connection between two rubber surfaces? Between my lack of french and his lack of english that's what I got out of the conversation. He was an aqualung and scubapro dealer, so he didnt' want to void any warranties or mess it up. So he cleaned it and checked it and it was still leaking. Since there were no aeris or oceanic dealers anywhere to call, he used some silicone grease and some sort of crazy tape to seal off around where the inflator hose screws on. He was sorry he couldn't do more and refused to charge me anything. I tried to give him money but he refused-a truly nice guy. The fix he concocted held up 100% and allowed me to dive the rest of the trip, albeit carefully watching the situation.

What do you think the deal with it is? Could a brand new BC have a bad inflator hose like that? I know Scuba Toys checks all their regs and everything before they ship them, but do they check BC's? I'm totally satisfied with my gear, and the service I got was amazing. I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue with this BC or other Aeris BC's, and did it happen again? How do you fix it?

So whats the deal?

I just bought an Aeris Contour BC form Scubatoys back in June for a trip that was supposed to be in July-well the trip got pushed back until recently, and so after getting all my gear I had just checked it out in fiance's pool and then put it back in the box until the trip. It had seemed fine in the pool, but since its only 5 foot deep I couldn't do much checking and didn't have someone else checkin me out while I was in the water.
It held air and all my other new gear was working so I thought it was a-ok!

Well on the trip we get out on the first dive and my buddy notices a very slow but steady stream of tiny bubbles escaping from where the inflator hose attaches at the shoulder. My BC was doing ok, it wasn't affecting my buoyancy all that much, I added 3-4 puffs of air over the course of the dive and decided to get it fixed after surfacing.

Once topside, I checked to make sure the hose wasn't just tweaked in the fitting and then I took it to a local shop (in Moorea French Polynesia theres only a handful of dive operators, and only one that was willing to take a look at it since all the others are hotel based operators). He took it apart and to both of our surprise it wasn't going to be an easy O-ring fix as we thought. I guess this system is a "direct system", and it doesn't use an o-ring, but a direct connection between two rubber surfaces? Between my lack of french and his lack of english that's what I got out of the conversation. He was an aqualung and scubapro dealer, so he didnt' want to void any warranties or mess it up. So he cleaned it and checked it and it was still leaking. Since there were no aeris or oceanic dealers anywhere to call, he used some silicone grease and some sort of crazy tape to seal off around where the inflator hose screws on. He was sorry he couldn't do more and refused to charge me anything. I tried to give him money but he refused-a truly nice guy. The fix he concocted held up 100% and allowed me to dive the rest of the trip, albeit carefully watching the situation.

What do you think the deal with it is? Could a brand new BC have a bad inflator hose like that? I know Scuba Toys checks all their regs and everything before they ship them, but do they check BC's? I'm totally satisfied with my gear, and the service I got was amazing. I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue with this BC or other Aeris BC's, and did it happen again? How do you fix it?

Why don't you call Scubatoy's and let us know how it goes. Sounds like it may be a manufacturing defect to me.

yah I may have to give them a call- i just didn't think that they would deal w/ manufacturers defects- plus I was hoping someone would have run into this before and would know what needs to be done to fix it so I can dive in March w/ it instead of having to send it in to Aeris for repair and having it gone forever.

...give Scubatoys a chance, don't assume the BC will be 'gone forever'.....one way or the other they WILL take care of you and make things right....give them a chance!

Back
Top Bottom