Breathing Technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a tip as I started diving from and instructor I work with: 2 seconds in, 3 seconds out. Works pretty well so far (I've only got 30 dives). My SAC is consistently between 0.7 - 0.75 now.

OE2X: I have a feeling I'm far far away from 0.35. That's pretty scary :)

Bjorn

jeckyll:
I got a tip as I started diving from and instructor I work with: 2 seconds in, 3 seconds out. Works pretty well so far (I've only got 30 dives). My SAC is consistently between 0.7 - 0.75 now.

OE2X: I have a feeling I'm far far away from 0.35. That's pretty scary :)

Bjorn

My OW instructor says four seconds in, four out... Unfortunately that tends to mess a bit with buoyancy as you will rise and fall a bit if really doing that long, however it does work and I know it does after getting an hour and fourty minutes on a LBTS shore dive... granted max depth was likely 30ft, but whatever...

My SAC rate tends to get worst when I do photography as well...

I do not have a ton of dives under my belt... then again a LOT of my dives have been an hour or more, and most that were not were 80-90ft at 45 minutes... so do I get to count more dives due to BT? :D

Relaxation is the key and dive more......

Cheer
Jason

I will agree with OE2X.
1 Relax! The more comfortable you are in the water the better.
2 Don't move. If you have to move your hands or fin constantly to hold position, then you buoyancy is off.
3 Keep Warm!!!! Even in the tropics you loose heat. The warmer you are the less gas you use.
4 Breath slowly, but completely. I breath 3-4 times a minute under water.
5 Fitness. Exercise to keep in shape.

My SAC is in the .3 to .4 range also, and I'm a big guy.

Experience is huge!

V

I figure everyone covered all the major ways to get better gas consumption.

I can hang with any guy on the same size tank, but have made dives with one or two experienced and well conditioned ladies that beat me bad!

So I learned a few ways to cheat! :D

1. Whenever possible pick a higher plane in the water column than your buddy, as high as the visibility will allow.
2. Only drop to the bottom when there's a good reason, such as pulling yourself along rocks when in strong current, (non-coral covered of course.) You can do this in sand as well, with a knife or even with your hands... kick forward and drag for a short rest, then kick forward again.
3. Always use the anchor line or down line, to descend and pull down with your arms, even if the current doesn't seem very strong.
4. Never volunteer to carry the float line or the team lobster bag. Make your buddy the pack mule.
5. In currents always shadow structure like wrecks, or bridge pilings.
6. Keep your head down in current, don't let it lift you into a bad trim position.
7. If a dive requires a back track, such as to an anchored boat, plan to do it along the top of a reef line. This will help cover more new ground as well if you are hunting fish or lobsters.
8. Get a good compass and learn to navigate with it, and also navigate naturally. Nothing wastes more gas than being lost or taking the long route.
9. If you still can't beat or keep up with a buddy, or get a bigger tank... admit defeat and have them wear a long hose and leach off of him/her! Do it in the middle of the dive or on the deepest part. Don't wait until you are low and have to ascend on the long hose. (That's also when it will make you look bad!) :D

Chad

you forgot number 9

Exercise, 20 - 30 mins a day (its like having an extra tank when you go diving)

Prudent_Rabbit:
you forgot number 9

Exercise, 20 - 30 mins a day (its like having an extra tank when you go diving)

Viscya covered that and most of the usual techniques one post above.

Chad

Chad Carney:
1. Whenever possible pick a higher plane in the water column than your buddy, as high as the visibility will allow.

Chad
The only thing I would like to comment on here is that in warm water and with many recreational divers this technique may not be appropriate. I have been in places where the visibility often exceeds 100'. There have been times when doing rec. dives in vis. such as this where I have seen buddies be up to 50' apart. The visual depth of field is deceiving in clear water. Should anything happen to one or another, that can equate to a very long swim during an emergency..

If you choose to use this technique then IMHO I would keep a max distance of 10' between you and your buddy. This distance can easily be made up in two strong kicks or just a couple of seconds at the most.

I am a huge hoover, but I know my problem, I am fine for the first half of a dive when I can almost ignore my air consumption but from the time I start to monitor my air consumption it doubles, I need to stop worrying about my consumption rate. And the only way it can be fixed is to dive more and more and more. So I will very happily practice it until I use hardly any gas at all.

I guess what Dave is trying to say is to pause your breath by holding your diaphram open during exhale. By holding your breath you close your diaphram and that is where the problem lies. For me I like the big deep breath, pause, then a slow and gradual exhale. It has really made a difference for me ove rteh years.

The other point he makes is so true, relax! That is why I enjoy diving so much because it is the most relaxfull thing that I can do.
You basically just try to slow all body functions down.

I hope that this helps. Dave

Dave Zimmerly:
After you are suited up and waiting to get wet, stop for a moment and clear your mind. Relax. Take some deep long breathes and relax.

Once in the water try this: Instead of breathing continuously in and out, try inhaling normally and exhaling in 3 short breaths. Spread out the exhales. Do this 3 times then take a normal inhale and exhale (to get rid of any dead air) then back to inhale, 3 short exhales.

I AM NOT SAYING TO HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Just inhale in normally and exhale in 3 spread out short breathes. Think in cycles of three.

After awhile it will become second nature. Above all, relax your mind and your body will follow.

For what it's worth.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom