Brief Survey for Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You work with sharks? Cool! I do hope you get your funding and share your results. If you want to write a book, more power to ya!

However, as somebody said above, it would be good to ask why someone has purchased shark products. That's because I'd like to say why I HAVEN'T, of course ;-)

Also, I would have liked to see a question regarding those "staged" dives where operators feed the sharks or about feeding in general, because I consider seeing sharks to be a real treat that somebody should experience "honestly", if you will. I think feeding distorts natural animal behaviors and increases the potential for attacks, but of course I'm not an expert so I'm just guessing. Just thinking about the black bears in Great Smoky Mountain National Park or whatever...

Last edited by a moderator:
Add me to the done pile.

Whilst?

Some of these questions require a simple yes/no answer, yet there is no simple yes/no answer.

15. Would you like to see another shark?

Yes, but I don't particularly want to see Oceanic Whitetip, Bulls or White Sharks.

16. If you were aware sharks were present at an intended dive site, would you still dive? *

Depends on the species, their behavior and conditions.

Survey needs a little work.

I had similar thoughts as well Walter, however we do not know what information the OP is looking for so they may not be relevant

Also, I would have liked to see a question regarding those "staged" dives where operators feed the sharks or about feeding in general, because I consider seeing sharks to be a real treat that somebody should experience "honestly", if you will. I think feeding distorts natural animal behaviors and increases the potential for attacks, but of course I'm not an expert so I'm just guessing. Just thinking about the black bears in Great Smoky Mountain National Park or whatever...

I totally agree with you. In fact I am about to write an article on this exact subject. The major positive about feeding is that it relies on there actually being sharks so the value of a live shark to the local economy far outweighs the value of a dead shark, hence more power towards the movement to protect our sharks.

For example, on my last trip to the Bahamas, I went specifically for the sharks. I dived with Stuart Cove's so obviously he made some money out of the fact I was there for the sharks as did the hotel, taxi drivers, restaurants, takeaways, supermarket, bars, tourist shops, sole traders and public transport service. They would not have made that money had it not been for the sharks. There are a lot of arguments for and against and I get far more of a buzz out of seeing sharks in their natural state than a staged event. However if feeding events help protect our sharks, the positives outweigh the negatives in my mind.

Whilst?

Some of these questions require a simple yes/no answer, yet there is no simple yes/no answer.

15. Would you like to see another shark?

Yes, but I don't particularly want to see Oceanic Whitetip, Bulls or White Sharks.

16. If you were aware sharks were present at an intended dive site, would you still dive? *

Survey needs a little work.

I see your point Walter, although q15 is addressed again in the "sharks you would avoid" question, which as an aside I would love to know why you wouldn't want to see the sharks you mentioned, I'd be very interested.

I agree that q16 could be a little more descriptive but I am trying to treat the shark as a single entity if that makes sense, not splitting sharks into sub species. It's purely for comparison between divers and non divers. Divers will more than likely appreciate certain sharks are different to others better than non divers and it is for this reason the question is worded as it is. Thanks for the feedback!

Done...will the results be posted?

I'm new as well... hello everyone :cowboy:

PS - you may wish to re-post under the subject line "Brief Survey for Divers" or similar as you'll probably get more participation with a specific subject line vs "can you maybe help me" which most people will skip over.

Just a thought!

Yeah, I had to answer "yes" but elsewhere I noted that I've heard that Lemons, Bulls, and Whites are more aggressive. I've only seen nurse and reef sharks thus far in real life, but if the others were small enough, why not? :wink:

Done. I love sharks.

PS - you may wish to re-post under the subject line "Brief Survey for Divers" or similar as you'll probably get more participation with a specific subject line vs "can you maybe help me" which most people will skip over.

Just a thought!

Good idea. I tried it though and it won't alloow me to edit the title...? I'm not sure how to do this :doh2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom