Brief Survey for Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I totally agree with you. In fact I am about to write an article on this exact subject. The major positive about feeding is that it relies on there actually being sharks so the value of a live shark to the local economy far outweighs the value of a dead shark, hence more power towards the movement to protect our sharks.

I don't mind the making of money, but part of diving is seeing the fish and other animals in their habitats and habits. It would be great if an operator knew of, and took divers to, a known *natural* feeding or prowling ground, but then they wouldn't be able to guarantee any sightings or encounters.

Of course, you're totally correct that these encounters add value to the live shark. Especially since I was more afraid of sharks before seeing them in the wild. Now they're just pussycats :wink: In fact, I might even be willing to do the Stuart's Cove thing for the experience, because I have to admit that it sounds like a good time. I'll disagree in principle, just not in practice. :wink:

I wouldn't purchase any shark teeth or skin or other artifacts though, just like I think those alligator souvenirs in Louisiana are morbid and, like you said, add value to dead creatures.

I have been on boats where they chum the waters to attract various predators, but it was never with divers in the water or for a particular species. Still, I have heard, for example, that most substantiated barracuda attacks occur because of spearfishing or feeding. I wonder if the same is true of sharks. Keep those hands close, and wear only black gear, I guess...

Good point, David.

--Peter

I don't mind the making of money, but part of diving is seeing the fish and other animals in their habitats and habits. It would be great if an operator knew of, and took divers to, a known *natural* feeding or prowling ground, but then they wouldn't be able to guarantee any sightings or encounters.

Of course, you're totally correct that these encounters add value to the live shark. Especially since I was more afraid of sharks before seeing them in the wild. Now they're just pussycats :wink: In fact, I might even be willing to do the Stuart's Cove thing for the experience, because I have to admit that it sounds like a good time. I'll disagree in principle, just not in practice. :wink:

I wouldn't purchase any shark teeth or skin or other artifacts though, just like I think those alligator souvenirs in Louisiana are morbid and, like you said, add value to dead creatures.

I have been on boats where they chum the waters to attract various predators, but it was never with divers in the water or for a particular species. Still, I have heard, for example, that most substantiated barracuda attacks occur because of spearfishing or feeding. I wonder if the same is true of sharks. Keep those hands close, and wear only black gear, I guess...

Good point, David.

--Peter

I agree with everything you say Peter, especially about taking tourists to areas where sharks naturally congregate. Unfortunately there are exceptionally few of those areas left on earth as the fishermen got there first :(

In regards to your last point, the vast majority of attacks on man by sharks are preceeded by the actions of the victim or individuals in his proximity. I'm not sure if you read about the recent fatality in South Africa. The victim was the second this year to be killed by a shark at the same beach and there have been another two recent attacks at the same location, interestingly on the same individual, the first (2004) non-fatal, the second (2007) fatal.

It was reported that shark numbers have increased at the beach, that sharks have a taste for human flesh, the sharks are becoming more aggressive etc...

What wasn't reported is that the beach has, for years, been used by "healers" from the local township whose ritual involves the lighting of candles and depositing meat and offal from dead livestock into the surf. On the morning of the recent attack, several "healers" were seen leaving the beach prior to the attack and burned out candles were also found in the vicinity in which they had been. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why that particular beach is so dangerous...

Good idea. I tried it though and it won't alloow me to edit the title...? I'm not sure how to do this :doh2:

Just put up another, seperate post.

DAVID ENGINE:
I see your point Walter, although q15 is addressed again in the "sharks you would avoid" question

I saw that and I ended up answering yes, but the question is still not a good one.

DAVID ENGINE:
which as an aside I would love to know why you wouldn't want to see the sharks you mentioned, I'd be very interested.

Because, in my opinion, Oceanic Whitetips are the most dangerous shark in the world. They are quite happy to actually eat people. Bulls, while not as likely to attack as Oceanic Whitetips are extremely aggressive and will attack.

DAVID ENGINE:
I agree that q16 could be a little more descriptive but I am trying to treat the shark as a single entity if that makes sense, not splitting sharks into sub species.

It makes less sense to lump all sharks together as a single entity than it does to lump Golden Retrievers with Tigers and Grizzly Bears. They are more closely related than some species of sharks are to each other. Sharks are not merely in separate sub species, they are in different orders, meaning they are as closely related to each other as we are to manatees, chinchillas and bats.

DAVID ENGINE:
It's purely for comparison between divers and non divers. Divers will more than likely appreciate certain sharks are different to others better than non divers and it is for this reason the question is worded as it is. Thanks for the feedback!

That makes no sense.

Kind of a fun survey. Love the comparision between us killing sharks, and them taking a bite, or two, from us every now and then.

I think when they bite through your gear, they go, "sure is crunchy!".

Especially if you use trilaminate drysuit, and if you are using thick fluffy undergarments then they have chewy as well. Now if they can only find cheesy part, they have taco bell :)

I think when they bite through your gear, they go, "sure is crunchy!".

Just put up another, seperate post.

Name changed...all one has to do is ask... which thanksforallthefish was nice enough to do.

We would have just merged them together...this is a cleaner way to do it.

Oh, been hit by an oceanic white tip... would be very happy to never see another one.

Back
Top Bottom