Bringing spare tanks to a wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if there's ever been an instance where somebody has taken somebody's staged equipment, thinking it was abandoned, and the diver was relying on this equipment to be there when he came out of the wreck. Seems dangerous. There must be some way to lock it.

I use Kryptonite bicycle locks to secure my stages and deco cylinders outside a wreck.

Sure there will be the odd boatmate that will carry liquid nitrogen and a sledge hammer to bash the tank locks out of the secured position but that is a chance I am willing to take.

Call me crazy but I still have faith in humaninty..

Sure there will be the odd boatmate that will carry liquid nitrogen and a sledge hammer to bash the tank locks out of the secured position but that is a chance I am willing to take.

Call me crazy but I still have faith in humaninty..

Dear Crazy,

If they pour liquid nitrogen on the lock won't it cause the ocean to freeze? Wouldn't they become encased in ice by their own evil doings.

take a read here

And They Said It Couldn't Be Done:

Several years ago, my friends and I decided to test a mix-on-the-go theory of ours. We figured that if we joined several stage bottles through a single manifold, as the first stage was drained, the others would compensate and fill in that stage. In other words, all the stages would balance each other out as the gas was drained. It would be like using a single stage. Only it would be eight of them, joined together. Imagine all that GAS!

But here's the beauty of it: if we used different mixes in each stage, and timed it just right, we could actually alter the mix. We could start with a normal bottom mix, but then as the stages re-mixed we could use them as ascent and finally as deco bottles. And we could do this without having a separate bunch of bottles to keep track of!

Well ... people laughed. But last week, we finally put this to the test. By we, I mean my two buddies; I remained as support diver on a separate gas supply. Sure enough, the whole thing worked, more or less. The fact that my buddies got totally bent and spent three hours in a chamber was really due to their inability to lift the joint stages as the gas was being used up. They gave it a valiant effort, but apparently there's something about exerting yourself underwater that both uses up gas tremendously and apparently contributes to getting bent because my buddies were only half an hour behind their dive profile when they ran out of gas and had to bolt to the surface. We've skipped more deco before without ill effects, but this time they got whammed.

Unfortunately, in all the mess of getting them out of the water and to a chamber, we lost track of the linked stages, so our next trial is going to have to wait until they can go back to work so we can buy new ones.

Doc, do not feed the trolls. Look at his profile. 6-10 years certified and a Dive Master asking these types of questions?

I thought it a valid question. I have never run out of air, but if I did, I would want to know if I could "plug in" another tank. :rofl3:

I thought it a valid question. I have never run out of air, but if I did, I would want to know if I could "plug in" another tank. :rofl3:

I am not sure what do you mean by "plug in", but this you don't do with stage bottles, unless you are using a rebreather (don't know all models, talking about the RB80), where you have a switch block to connect your stage bottles and be able to recicle not only your back gas, but stage bottles air as well.

Without a rebreather you just take the stages, each with their own reg and pressurized (I close them after pressurizing, but some folks might keep it open). When you need to use, you open the valve, deploy the reg and breath, no plug in...

I think the OP would benefit from some proper wreck training if he is considering conducting dives that may require additional, staged gas supplies.

A Technical/Advanced Wreck course would answer his questions and provide the skills needed.

I am not sure what do you mean by "plug in", but this you don't do with stage bottles, unless you are using a rebreather (don't know all models, talking about the RB80), where you have a switch block to connect your stage bottles and be able to recicle not only your back gas, but stage bottles air as well.

Without a rebreather you just take the stages, each with their own reg and pressurized (I close them after pressurizing, but some folks might keep it open). When you need to use, you open the valve, deploy the reg and breath, no plug in...

You are very kind. I am not the OP and my post was made with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. LOL.

Good info non the less.

Dear Crazy,

If they pour liquid nitrogen on the lock won't it cause the ocean to freeze? Wouldn't they become encased in ice by their own evil doings.

That would be the "Ice 9" effect you are refering to.

(And the use of that gas is highly classified.)

Please forget you ever read this thread.... Or, any thread.

Hell, I imagine "they" are breaking your door down right now.

Good luck.

/so it goes...

take a read here

And They Said It Couldn't Be Done:

Several years ago, my friends and I decided to test a mix-on-the-go theory of ours. We figured that if we joined several stage bottles through a single manifold, as the first stage was drained, the others would compensate and fill in that stage. In other words, all the stages would balance each other out as the gas was drained. It would be like using a single stage. Only it would be eight of them, joined together. Imagine all that GAS!

But here's the beauty of it: if we used different mixes in each stage, and timed it just right, we could actually alter the mix. We could start with a normal bottom mix, but then as the stages re-mixed we could use them as ascent and finally as deco bottles. And we could do this without having a separate bunch of bottles to keep track of!

Well ... people laughed. But last week, we finally put this to the test. By we, I mean my two buddies; I remained as support diver on a separate gas supply. Sure enough, the whole thing worked, more or less. The fact that my buddies got totally bent and spent three hours in a chamber was really due to their inability to lift the joint stages as the gas was being used up. They gave it a valiant effort, but apparently there's something about exerting yourself underwater that both uses up gas tremendously and apparently contributes to getting bent because my buddies were only half an hour behind their dive profile when they ran out of gas and had to bolt to the surface. We've skipped more deco before without ill effects, but this time they got whammed.

Unfortunately, in all the mess of getting them out of the water and to a chamber, we lost track of the linked stages, so our next trial is going to have to wait until they can go back to work so we can buy new ones.

I think I found a small picture of that one... :rofl3:

Attachments

• oito stages.jpg
    oito stages.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 84

Back
Top Bottom