Bringing spare tanks to a wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate feeding the trolls, but to be fair, I did not know it is possible to plug a regulator onto a tank at depth and use it. I have learned something new from this thread. Now I hope nothing ever happens to me whereby that knowledge is ever of use...

Doc, do not feed the trolls. Look at his profile. 6-10 years certified and a Dive Master asking these types of questions?

HE (she/it) could be one of those recreational divers who have a thousand dives, never gone deeper than 60 feet, never done deco, never used more than a rented AL80 (even w/ Dive Master rating)

Posted via Mobile Device

I use Kryptonite bicycle locks to secure my stages and deco cylinders outside a wreck.

Sure there will be the odd boatmate that will carry liquid nitrogen and a sledge hammer to bash the tank locks out of the secured position but that is a chance I am willing to take.

Call me crazy but I still have faith in humaninty..

But all you need is a Bic pen! YouTube - Kryptonite Lock Mayhem

ROTFLMAO :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry to get off topic...What exaclty does "troll" mean on scubaboard?

WIKI:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]

oops...

Last edited:
I wonder if there's ever been an instance where somebody has taken somebody's staged equipment, thinking it was abandoned...

Yup...we've got several wrecks here in NJ that go from 70-130ft so often a charter will have a mix of tech divers doing penetration and rec divers tooling around the outside of the upper levels. Doesn't happen often, but picture a new-to-wreck-diving diver coming up the ladder announcing "hey, someone lost this 40cf bottle down on top of the wreck" or "check out this strobe I found down there..."

:shakehead:

Never had it create an actual safety issue - yet - but you could see how that could happen.

Yet another reason to carry instead of stage when diving in open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom