Bubbles from my neck...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMom1927

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, Every time I am vertical in the water ( which is often ) the air leaks out my neck seal. I have a tiny neck. I have never cut my seal. It is latex. I just ordered a bio-seal to put under the latex to see if it helps.... Any other suggestions. Please remember that I am going to school as a commercial diver as well, so sometimes I do not wear a hood. Let me know...

Stating the obvious but....Get a smaller neck seal put on. They come in lots of different sizes from children up.

A neoprene neck seal may be a better option for you. It folds over so the smooth side is next to your skin after you slide your head through it.

The beneficial side effect of this is that when you are vertical, if air tries to leave, it tends to seal tighter as the air will balloon in the fold and presses he seal more tightly against your neck. In contrast with a latex seal, there is nothing other than neck seal tension to keep air from burping out so even a snug fitting latex seal can let water in when you are vertical and tilt your head forward. If you get the seal tight enough to prevent this 100% of the time, it is then usually too tight for comfort.

A neoprene neck seal may be a better option for you. It folds over so the smooth side is next to your skin after you slide your head through it.

The beneficial side effect of this is that when you are vertical, if air tries to leave, it tends to seal tighter as the air will balloon in the fold and presses he seal more tightly against your neck. In contrast with a latex seal, there is nothing other than neck seal tension to keep air from burping out so even a snug fitting latex seal can let water in when you are vertical and tilt your head forward. If you get the seal tight enough to prevent this 100% of the time, it is then usually too tight for comfort.

Ditto....I persl. use a neoprene neck seal and just love it....better fitting and more comfortable and a bit warmer.

Well, I think Im gonna try this Bio Seal... If it doesnt work... Im selling my Whites Nexus and buying a Northern Diver....

whites nexus suit, found your problem. I had issues with that suit.

Real advice, when leading dives I bring a large selection of neoprene rings that have been cut out of an arm of a old wet suit. When we have a neck seal issue I throw on a ring on some times it works like a charm, some times not

I have a feeling if you get a neoprene suit it may help, I think the neoprene is more comfortable, just my opinion

Jumbo

I have a latex neck seal (non-bellows shaped).

Here is what I did last week. My neck seal is getting loose and burps now and then (lets out air). I folded it in about 1 to 3/4 inch just like a neoprene seal and I was very surprised it worked. As dry as its ever been. I couldnt believe it. Its worth a try on a shallowish dive.

Well, I think Im gonna try this Bio Seal... If it doesnt work... Im selling my Whites Nexus and buying a Northern Diver....

:confused::11::confused::11::confused:

Easily the largest waste of money ive had to date in diving. ND Cortex suit. Bulky, heavy, inflexible, uncomfortable, badly designed seams, shoulder dump in a places thats ineffective and leaks like a tea bag. Add that to their world class "dont give a ****" support and its the one thing guaranteed to stop people diving for life!

Plus a new neck seal is about £30.......If the seal is leaking air, its too big for you. Just replacing it with a smaller seal that fits will solve the problem. No need for bioseals or things like that especially when a replacement seal isnt expensive.

So, Every time I am vertical in the water ( which is often ) the air leaks out my neck seal. I have a tiny neck. I have never cut my seal. It is latex. I just ordered a bio-seal to put under the latex to see if it helps.... Any other suggestions. Please remember that I am going to school as a commercial diver as well, so sometimes I do not wear a hood. Let me know...

What jumbo said....

whites nexus suit, found your problem. I had issues with that suit.

Real advice, when leading dives I bring a large selection of neoprene rings that have been cut out of an arm of a old wet suit. When we have a neck seal issue I throw on a ring on some times it works like a charm, some times not

I have a feeling if you get a neoprene suit it may help, I think the neoprene is more comfortable, just my opinion

Jumbo

Good idea, Jumbo!

I made some 3mm neoprene neck bands about 2" wide by sewing the overlapped ends.

Those bands snugged up and stopped the burping and leaking of the neck seal on a used suit I bought.

That neck seal was brand-new, but had been trimmed by the previous thick-necked owner. My homemade neck bands made it work fine for years. And they kept my neck warmer, too! :D

Now I use them routinely just for the extra warmth in the winter! :D

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom