Buddy diving beyond training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Davetul:
If the information is out there, and someone wants to use it, why not? Just because someone doesn't have a card that says they have been to some overpriced class and purchased the overpriced materials doesn't mean they haven't learned the information. Just as someone who has a pocketful of C cards doesn't necessarily know anything useful. To automatically write someone off as unqualified just because there's no classroom or outgoing money is a little extreme.
Just guessing, but that's not something you plan on saying to your students when you get that Instructor cert you're shooting for, right?

Davetul:
Plenty of diving occurred prior to the establishment of certifications and the various diving agencies that 'certify' us to dive. If the information is out there, and someone wants to use it, why not? Just because someone doesn't have a card that says they have been to some overpriced class and purchased the overpriced materials doesn't mean they haven't learned the information. Just as someone who has a pocketful of C cards doesn't necessarily know anything useful. To automatically write someone off as unqualified just because there's no classroom or outgoing money is a little extreme.

I do not think that what is in question is anyone's right to do what they want to, to themselves. Sure, this diver can start doing all sorts of things he hasn't formally been trained for. That's his business. But the issue, as I see it, is a matter of being able to trust this individual when he is diving with someone else. You need to be able to trust your buddy. Trust in that he has the skills to do the dive you've planned on. Trust in that he will actually stick to the plan. If there is no trust, you're diving solo.

Is it possible to be qualified to do certain types of dives without formal training? I suppose so. But I would sooner trust someone with training than to not trust someone without, and that is my choice to do so.

Trust is the issue...If you do not trust your buddy do not dive with him/her. Forget the c-cards tech training what ever...if you do not trust your buddy...you do not dive with them. Simple. Info is out there but what make you think he /she is doing it right??? with out learning or refining skills and knowledge it is just blind skill sets which can render a dangerous situation. Cards mean nothing, skills and proper mind set are more important than a C card.

Davetul,
Not flaming your response, but just adding a thought. While many don't see a need for a card to "prove" their training, their buddies may be of a different mind. After all, if one is going to be a diving buddy, there is an implied agreement that each member of the buddy team will look out for and protect the interests of BOTH members. One might wish to KNOW that their buddy is trained and prepared for the plan they have made. It's also implied that if one buddy does not have as much training and experience as the other, it is HIS level that defines the limits of the dive. That's what the OP is referring to. He is uncomfortable with the unspoken pressure his "buddy" is putting on him to test or exceed his personal limits. The fact that his buddy does or doesn't have a card is irrelevant. It's simply a matter that HE (the OP) doesn't, and that makes it a clear cut case.
The OP is right for feeling uncomfortable.

To clear things up a bit, I have definitely become uncomfortable with diving with this individual. I have stopped diving with him & until he can accept my limitations & I will not dive with him again until that time. His attitude during a dive was, "OK, if you don't want to do what I want to do, then I'll just do it by myself". I am not one to normally abandon my buddy, but neither will I risk my safety or life. I guess my delima comes from the fact that I did my rescue class with him as my buddy & we became decent friends. I worry about him & his ambitions blinding him to the dangers of what he's doing. I do think that there are some divers that can self train, & I'm not against it. What worried me was this individual would take the information he wanted & ignore the rest (basically he would read or hear what he wanted & disregard what he didn't want to read or hear). From what I'm reading, I should basically accept the fact that he's not going to change his mind about what he's doing & go on. I guess, for me it is just the concern of a friend. However, I just found out from another source the other day, that he finally did decide to obtain training for what he wants to pursue. That is a great relief to me. Some others that I dive with (& who have dove with him also & were also worried about the path he was taking) talked a Technical diving instructor into discussing the potential dangers of what he was doing. I give the instructor kudos for tactfully explaining why some of the things he was attempting, in the manner he was going about it, was not good. Hopefully this training will help him grow into a safer & better diver. I thank you all for your thoughts & suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom