Building a free online diving log - need input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't realize that the Shearwater app also sync'ed to this new online logging software.
It doesn't ... But we might add this to our App if / when this online log becomes available

Love the ideas from everyone. I'll be working on the site all weekend. As for the phone apps - at the moment that is well beyond the scope of the project and another beast altogether. In the future at some point I think the ability connect your DC to your phone and upload directly to the site would be a great addition though. I know I would use it.

I'm looking into the ability to allow users to customize their log entry/edit forms. IE: show/hide fields depending on what they use or don't, etc... This won't be in the first version of the site but it's definitely slated for a future revision.

Ok, so not using an online log the first thing I think about is the site not being available to me. It might be down, or worse yet gone. I would be looking for the ability to bring in a dive log catalog of all my dives in one pdf for a backup or something.

Also, perhaps exportable into JSON or XML in case I need to push it into another system at some time as well. As long as you are writing API's you could add that one pretty easy :wink:

Also, having the logbook printout no be so cluttered. Group things together as it should be, but just leave off the things that are not selected when printed.

You planning on this being a completely free deal or something people will pay for? Being able to pull some reports would be good but if you have the get method I mentioned above in the API I would be fine, just throw it into a db and do some work myself.

Some reporting would be: Air Consumption trends, weight trends, depth change charts, and more I am not thinking of... I will just add more scope later.

I plan on this being completely free for users and sponsored (hopefully) by dive equip manufacturers.

You could throw me into the list of people willing to be the beta testers.

Just finished adding spatial relationships to the locations / users db so we are now able to pull current conditions and dive site sorted by the closest to farthest from the users location! ... It took me 2 days of banging my head on the wall and many many MANY cups of Caribou to get my head wrapped around it, but we finally got it! :coffee:

Next on the list is updating the site to allow for a user to select imperial/metric and bar/psi and have the results output accordingly.

---------- Post Merged at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:46 PM ----------

If you don't mind me asking, What backend are you using?

PHP/MySQL/Javascript

What I'd include is a Dive Proffesional specific section.
There are a lot of free electronic logs out there, just to name a few:
- http://yourdivebook.com/
- divelogs - Online Dive Logs (using this now... good feature set)

But none of them have a section dedicated to the dive teaching community, that is:
- Possibility to list the students (or people you guided) with some contact info
- If they are registered to your log, link them
- Exercise Specifics of the dive (skills, certification)
- Notes
- Data Will always be private to the DM/Instructor, unless the student is linked and he allows it to be public.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Hoping to have some functionality to play around with for those interested in beta testing within 2 weeks :) ... the browser plugin isn't finished yet so you will have to manually add some dives for the time being but it's looking hopeful to have that ability within the next 2 weeks.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom