Building underwater attractions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes - there is one of these set up in 60' of water at a dive site in Ontario - Cedar Hill (there are posts about this site here on SB). There is a lot of junk to look at at this spot - including a skeleton in a row-boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=347DPYAxQZE

Not sure if the dome is in this video; but there are many videos of this site online; one will have a picture of the dome; the last time I was there there was a old toilet in the centre of the dome.

MT

Yup that's where i did my open water :)

Several of the old iron mines in are area have objects placed for divers to find/see. One has a runabout boat, sailboat with the sail furled, skiff with a pirate standing in it, bicycle with a skeleton riding it pulling a burly with a little skeleton in it, a mermaid, a skeleton on a pole at an electrical box, Jason, a large porceline turtle, The F Bomb, and a large fully stocked bar with a skeleton bartender.
Another has 2 helicopters, 2 airplanes, a bus, a jeep, an old car, mining equipment, and mining speeders, cars to get the miners into the mine, plus some other things.

My favouite comment on that Cedar Hill YouTube video is from a 13 year old to the divers in the video.

"I'm only 13 I dive. I got certified at 10 and I don't wanna get in ur business or anything but u might wanna consider clipping ur backup regulator octopus or whatever you would prefer onto you. It's not a bad idea to do that to ur dive comp. to. Just saying"

The kid rocks.
That was my first thought when i saw the video.

this could be fun

Sort of along the lines I was thinking. I am thinking of a 5x5 rubix cube type design where each cube is about 4'x4'. Each cube would be hollow and have most of their skins in place to make the cube a penetrate able maze. The skeleton would be aluminum angle with thin aluminum sheet to act as the cubes skins. To make it even more fun the cube could be rolled occasionally to make the maze like new. If I get time I will try and draw up an AutoCAD file and post a pic of my idea.

---------- Post added April 8th, 2015 at 08:45 PM ----------

Here you have a series of articles about the construction of Nordhusia:

» Entstehung - actionsport-nordhausen.de

everything is in German though, so may the Google-Translator help you :)

Thanks this looks like some good information.

Sounds neat, just make sure it's not easy to get stuck in. Last thing you want is someone panicking and dieing in it.

this could be fun

attachment.php

We have one of those at one of our local sites. It's made out of 3" diameter PVC pipes, and was originally built as a memorial to a young man who died while scuba diving that site. Over the past decade or so it's grown quite a bit of sessile life, and some juvenile wolfies have found it makes comfortable quarters (till they outgrow it) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sounds neat, just make sure it's not easy to get stuck in. Last thing you want is someone panicking and dieing in it.

UnixMarine that has been the biggest concern from everyone i have spoken to locally. I'm thinking a hing system where all the exterior skins can be pushed on to "escape/exit" maze in case of panic or low air situation. As well as a maze path layout that ensures divers will always be within 12 feet/3 panels of an exterior wall.

Why build an artificial "attraction?" Isn't the marine life you see naturally enough of a draw?

So I can report that the toilet is on top of the geodesic dome at Cedar Hill, Wiarton, when I dived there today, the ice is off the bay.

absent the toilet, the geodesic dome is fun to do trim excercises by swimming through.

There are two lakes in Oklahoma that have dive parks. One has a school bus, coast guard helicopter, a couple of boats, training platforms, the other has training platforms, a couple of boats, a motorcycle, that's all I can remember. Some in Texas have submerged planes. A cheaper alternative would be to use large tinhorns to make swim throughs. Depending on the length, holes could be cut in the top for light and safety.

fish love the school bus and training platforms. There is a dive club at Lake Tenkiller that built the site. They might be able to help with advice on anchoring.

good luck with your project.
jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom