Building underwater attractions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking a modular design, something that can be broken down and easily reassembled on shore, in pieces on shore, or assembled completely underwater.
In general it takes three times longer to do a job underwater as it does to do it on land. It would be faster and easier to built something on shore and float it into place. As for securing the object that will depend on the type of bottom you are working with but current in a quarry should not be an issue. The maze sounds like a bad idea to me, there is just too much that could go wrong with a panicking diver in there. Maybe an obstacle course using floating rings the divers can swim through would be of interest if there is enough visibility. Maybe a dart board made of PVC pipe floating on the surface and divers could use their SMBs or plastic soda bottles as the darts.If there is a hard bottom somewhere in the quarry you could sink a boat there that is meant to be salvaged by the more advanced divers. Same idea on a smaller scale, a 50-100lb object that could be moved from one platform to another in midwater with a lift bag.

You could cut the top out of one of these, suspend it on a corner of your training platform, full of air so an instructor can talk to a student. There is a built in valve at what was formerly the bottom that can be used to vent old air out so it can be replaced with fresh air as needed.

FXSL_FXUL.jpg

Last edited:
How about an upside down tractor trailer tank truck, filled with air so you could crawl up inside and talk. I always thought that was pretty cool. Down about 25 ft or something. they had one of those in a quarry in PA when I was a kid..

Back
Top Bottom