Burning mask with lighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to note, I burned my mask 3 times in total, and there is no more releasing agent. On top of that i washed inside of lenses with toothpaste.

Three words - Johnson's Baby Shampoo

Do you use mixture of shampoo and water (50:50) or just shampoo alone? Also do you do quick rinse in water after applying it?

Shampoo is a cheap anti_fog agent but it doesn't do anything to remove the 'new mask' coating as it is not abrasive. I usually burn my mask and then toothpaste it to get in to the hard to reach places. I have also successfully done only toothpaste, but you must:

use white toothpaste,
leave toothpaste inside for at least 24 hrs.

Personally I use a 50:50 mix and don't rinse. Drop in a couple of drops, smear it around with two fingertips, I'm good.

Do you use mixture of shampoo and water (50:50) or just shampoo alone? Also do you do quick rinse in water after applying it?

Just to note, I burned my mask 3 times in total, and there is no more releasing agent. On top of that i washed inside of lenses with toothpaste.

One other point to add for anyone joining in is DO NOT use this technique on a polarized mask lens. Either burning or toothpaste/softscrub. I used the softscrub method on a ScubaPro polarized mask and scratched the crap out of it. I got lucky and my LDS swapped it out for me because they were the ones that told me to use softscrub. They later found out that ScubaPro started putting polarization inside the lens somehow but I would not risk it without knowing for sure.

I use a couple of drops straight out of the bottle and rinse.

Works on brand new masks straight out of the box

First I've heard of this. I watched the video--If all the silicone is burned off the first time why would you need to burn the mask multiple times?

Just to be clear, you are NOT burning off silicone. You are burning off manufacturing mold release agent residue. The skirt on your mask is made from silicone, a lighter won't hurt it unless you are specifically trying to. Silicone is used for baking, pot holders, hot-pads, etc. and it takes a lot of heat very well.

I used the toothpaste method. Just scrub the mask with a gritty toothpaste rinse and repeat 3 or 4 times. that with a bit of anti fog predive worked well for me so far. Toothpaste is also a good way to clean you mask and remove water spots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom