Burning mask with lighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I burn the lenses in my masks once then give them one light rubbin' with thoothpaste, works like a charm on all my maskes.
My experience is that some resedue on the edges of the glas dosen't interfere with your vision under water, but that probably is related to the volume of the mask.

As others have said in this thread, the long BBQ lighters works best, it is easier to control the flame.
And make sure the lenses is made out of tempered glas and not plastic.

I normally use a combination of the lighter trick and follow up with toothpaste. I've found depending on the brand of mask sometimes once is enough, sometimes a few more times to completely get rid of any fogging effect from leftover residue.

Why buy anti-fog or baby shampoo when a decent burning and/or toothpaste scrub will get off the release agent and a bit of human spit smeared round the inside (before each dive) then rinsed out will deal with any fogging (once the release agent is gone)?

Why buy anti-fog or baby shampoo when a decent burning and/or toothpaste scrub will get off the release agent and a bit of human spit smeared round the inside (before each dive) then rinsed out will deal with any fogging (once the release agent is gone)?

Agreed! That is what I do and if I fog at all, I just crack my mask a bit get some water inside and swish it around then clear my mask again. Voila! Problem solved. It makes for good mask skills refresher also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom