Question Buying a too-warm wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orestis82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I found a good offer on a barely used Waterproof SD Combat semi-dry 7mm, and I'm thinking about it. But I don't know if it's going to be usable in the summer as well. I would prefer to have only one wetsuit to worry about, so getting a warmer one makes intuitive sense, as I like being warm. Would that be a terrible idea?

Clarification: I don't want to get into drysuits.

Context: I'm diving mostly Greek waters, that have great variability. Even in the summer, one place might be 28C, while another might be 21C. In winter the temps will will reach 12-18C depending on time and location. They pick up from April/May onwards.

I have only dived with 5mm rental wetsuits, which were comfortable enough (when the fit was good) up to 21C, with a hood. I always use 7mm boots because that's all I have :) - I don't like the cold so I will usually err to the side of being warmer, if I can.

My thought process is that if it fits well I could definitely use it for Spring/Autumn, and if it doesn't get too uncomfortable topside, why not even in the summer - but we do get 30-40C topside temperatures with a very hot sun so I'm not sure about it.

Thoughts?

How strong is your Viking blood? The stronger it is the worse idea it is. Mine runs very strong and I couldn't do it.

It MIGHT be tolerable without a hood in 28c but that's heated pool/skin temperature so you are going to roast. You'll be flushing water thru the neck seal often and it has nowhere to really go.
21C is cave temperatures for Florida and if you are doing long exposures it will be perfectly fine but for short dives, shallow dives, and the surface it is going to be uncomfortably warm.

Winter temps it will be fine.

I can't imagine there's a way to have one suit that keeps you comfortable in 28 C water and would also work for waters 21 C never mind going colder... all the way to 12 C?

Not even considering the topside temp.

So, I just had a few dives in Greece now, wearing a 5.5 mm fullwetsuit, which worked fine for two ~1 Hour dives in the 28 degrees water, a lot longer dives and I'd want a hood.

Now, the DM/Instructor/Crew all wore 5 mm's PLUS a hooded vest, so I wouldn't be concerned of it beeing to hot in the water. So, how quick can you gear up after putting the suit on? If boatdiving, can you prepare everything, put on the suit, and then put on the BCD in the water? Or just jump into the water, and then gear up later on?

You need at least 2 suits to cover all seasons. Dry for the winter and spring and 5mm for summer and autumn. 7mm falls in the middle, it might work but at times you will be too cold and at times it will be hassle to sit in a thick suit when it is cooking at the surface. A lot of people also use 5mm full suit and 5-7 mm second piece on top. That is most versatile.

I currently dive a skin. 3mm, 5mm semi dry and a drysuit to maintain all year comfortable and warm diving in the UAE.

We can have surface air temps of 45C and at 30m it's 23C. The current thermocline off our east coast (Fujairah) is at 5m where it drops from 27C to 23C.

The bottom line is that you need more than one suit to cover your seasons.

To add a thought to what @Ucarkus and @Searcaigh said, if you decide to buy that 7mm semi-dry, I am willing to bet you will buy another suit before too long. And then another suit, or at least an additional layer.

Thank you all for your responses. My Viking blood is non-existent, I'm raised in Greece and really love the hot. I froze my a$$ off when living in Denmark :)

Since I don't want to get into drysuits, I think perhaps I should get a 5mm now, and then when water temps get lower, add another layer (hooded vest perhaps?) - I'm sick of rental suits, they never fit well and they stink.

I currently have only one wetsuit, and the research I did ahead of buying it resulted in choosing a 5mm. Several sources agreed that for an all-around suit, that was a good thickness. I wore it for a few 45-50 minute dives over the weekend in 83 degree (28 C) and never felt overheated. I have 3mm gloves and a hood that should (hopefully) keep me warm enough as temps go down. We'll see as summer turns to fall here in N. Texas. I don't think having a single wetsuit for every situation is practical, but a 5mm seems to be a good compromise.

I also don't want to get into drysuits, and figure that if the 5mm isn't cutting it over the winter with gloves and a hood, I'll probably end up getting a semi-dry.

The trick is to layer.

Long sleeve rash guard. Hooded vest. Another thin hood over vest hood actually works (I’ve done it). Neoprene socks. Wetsox has a 1mm insulated version that comes far up your calves.

Recommendation for good 3mm gloves - Fourth Element. They are warm with hood dexterity. I did Great Lakes wreck diving down to 42F with all this and a good Bare 7mm. I used a Lavacore hooded vest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom