Question Buying a too-warm wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think perhaps I should get a 5mm now
I'll recommend the Waterproof W7 5mm with additional neck seal.

It's a very flexible suit too, easy to don and doff.

I've never worn semi dry or drysuits. At times I have just worn the top to my 7 mil farmer john wetsuit if say the water temp. was 65-70 (18-20C).
What about using the semi dry for the colder water temps. and just a body suit or shorty for the 28C? At about 33C (91-92F) you won't get cold in water due to the physics of it-- 28C isn't that far off.

A month ago, I spent a whole week in Mexico doing 2-4 dives per day. Air temps around 29c-32C, ocean temp a consistent 29C with no thermocline. I just wore a T-shirt and swimming trunks on every dive, and never got cold. On a different trip to Bonaire, we did 20 dives in a week, the temps were 25C-26C, I wore a 3mm fullsuit with no hood/gloves and that was fine for 20 dives in a week.

Locally, air temps are typically 15C-20C, sometimes as high as 25C, with water temps in the 8C-13C range. I see people in 7mm full suits, some of them happy, others not -- I would be too cold. So I wear an 8mm semidry on some days, and a drysuit on other days.

I don't believe a wetsuit exists that would be useful for the full 12C-28C range you mentioned. A drysuit shell with 2 different sets of undies would work, but if you don't want to do that, you're gonna need at least 2 wetsuits. Whatever you do, shop around and try a bunch of different ones on, because you really do want an excellent fit. If you cannot find one that fits you perfectly, consider having one made custom, it's not as expensive as it sounds.

Our shop sells wetsuits used for courses every year or two when they are replaced. Might be something to look into where you are?

The trick is to layer.
True. I don't know how, but my Viking blood is quite strong. Northern European ancestors, but south of Scandinavia. I was raised in FL.

I tend to get away with wearing a lot less, and being plenty warm than most other divers I see. I can get away with a thin 3/2 or maybe just 2 pretty much year round. FL waters, though. I'm sure I'd freeze my butt off in colder waters. However, this works for me. When it gets a bit colder, I add a 1mm rash guard/vest over my torso.

I have the Combat SD suit and can say that if the fit is good that you should be fairly dry inside...as I have posted on other threads, if I tuck the inner ankle cuffs, I can't descend as the air won't escape. I am convinced that I can put an inflation valve on the chest and a dump valve on the upper arm and dive my Combat SD dry....that being said, I only use when the water is cold and the air temp is warm as I can dump water over myself before putting my arms in, if the water is cold and the air is cool then I just use my drysuit. I typically switch to my 5mm wetsuit when waters are above 15c (59f).....The max water temp I would recommend the Combat SD for is 20c (68f), beyond that it would be uncomfortably warm.

Hope that helps.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom