buying first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I'd like to know what "moderately expensive" is too.

Personally, I am a big Suunto fan. Everyone at my local dive shop uses them, as do I.

There is one post against air integration, and I can appreciate the point of view. However, it has been my experience that while diving abroad, most divemasters will let you stay down longer and go on deeper dives with an air-integrated computer. I don't know if that matters to you, but it does to me.

I have a Cobra, right now, and am thinking about the D9 when it comes out...which may lead me to sell my Cobra, so if you are looking for something second hand, let me know.

Several of my dive buddies use the Suunto Mosquito and they are very happy with them. It has the features you are looking for except it is not Air integrated. It is wrist mount and is the size of a watch, one of my buddies wears glasses, does not dive with prescription lenses and has no problem reading it even at 120 feet. It is also Nitrox capable and has a reasonable price between $300.00 to $375.00. Good luck and welcome to one of the most expensive hobbies you will ever have.

RICoder:
...However, it has been my experience that while diving abroad, most divemasters will let you stay down longer and go on deeper dives with an air-integrated computer. I don't know if that matters to you, but it does to me..
Not intended by any means to flame anyone, but this leads me to a total noob question:

I don't understand why someone "flying" their AI computer would be allowed by a DM to go on a deeper/longer dive than someone who actually planned their dive in advance (with Dive Voyager, etc.) and was going to dive that plan? :06:

Hi Guys
I am also new to diving and also thinking about to get a "moderately expensive" computer. I set my eyes on Mares Nemo or the more expansive Atom 1, what do you think about these 2 computers, any good?
By the way, is copmuter the first thing we should buy? The reason is since we are just beginners, we always dive with a DM and he kinda take care of everthing. Is it a better idea to get a BC or regulator first?
Thanks in advance :crafty: :crafty: :crafty:

ccd79:
Hi Guys
I am also new to diving and also thinking about to get a "moderately expensive" computer. I set my eyes on Mares Nemo or the more expansive Atom 1, what do you think about these 2 computers, any good?
By the way, is copmuter the first thing we should buy? The reason is since we are just beginners, we always dive with a DM and he kinda take care of everthing. Is it a better idea to get a BC or regulator first?

Between the BC and the Reg... get the BC first... I wrote a whole rant about it on our pages if you want to read it: Which should I buy first, BC or Reg?

If you plan on getting your reg in the near future, I'd wait to buy the computer, or plan at least so you have to option of putting it in the console. If you get the computer first... your only real choice is a wrist unit... And the two computers you have mentioned are on opposite sides of the spectrum as far as deco calculations. One is very very conservative - one very liberal. I'd figure out what features I wanted... then find the unit that gives me those features.

stsomewhere:
Not intended by any means to flame anyone, but this leads me to a total noob question:

I don't understand why someone "flying" their AI computer would be allowed by a DM to go on a deeper/longer dive than someone who actually planned their dive in advance (with Dive Voyager, etc.) and was going to dive that plan? :06:

I certainly don't take it as a flame...
With Red Sail on Grand Cayman, and private guys on the Brac, we did 100ft wall dives, 2 teams, one with computers one without. My understanding of the logic was a computer will calculate your time at depth and no-deco times using each sample on the way down, as oppposed to just saying 'I hit 100ft...start the timer'. Plus it allows deco on the way up. I worded that poorly, but hopefully you get the point.

If I'm wrong, or the guys I dove with are, I'd certainly like to know.

RICoder:
I certainly don't take it as a flame...
With Red Sail on Grand Cayman, and private guys on the Brac, we did 100ft wall dives, 2 teams, one with computers one without. My understanding of the logic was a computer will calculate your time at depth and no-deco times using each sample on the way down, as oppposed to just saying 'I hit 100ft...start the timer'. Plus it allows deco on the way up. I worded that poorly, but hopefully you get the point.

If I'm wrong, or the guys I dove with are, I'd certainly like to know.

It is extremelly standard procedure for dive operators to say, "This is a 100 foot dive... We will work down the wall, swim east for 10 mintues at a depth of 100 feet, come up to the top of the wall at 60 feet, and work our way back to the mooring line. If you are on tables - at 20 minutes, you start your ascent - stop at 15 feet and do a 3 minute safety stop. If you are on a computer, and have over 700 psi in the tank, you can play around all you want under the boat... keep the boat in view at all times, but feel free to look around in the coral heads near the mooring line as you will probably find some lobsters, eels, etc. When your computer says you need to come up, or you are at 700 psi.. start your ascent and do a 3 minute safety stop."

In this situation, it does not matter whether the computer is an "ai" as the rule will be 700 - start up... but buddies diving with computers are normally allowed much more bottom time in these situations. Assuming of course they don't blow through their tank in 20 minutes...

I'm another noob, but after talking to a few divers that presented a few sides to each argument... I chose getting the computer first.

Mainly because I want to be able to be self sufficient in keeping track of what I do and where I go. It was a bit of a pain to constantly ask "how deep, how long, what was the surface interval... etc." I felt that I needed to be responsible for what I'm doing and keep track of what I'm doing because it's "ME" out there... During my OW dives, I noticed that there were times that I was deeper than my DM and vice versa, but I relied on his info as far as depth to log my dives. (all were within 35 feet, but it's the principle) and when I remembered to check my watch afterwards, was able to check my times!

I also held off of the BC and reg because I want to try a few more different types before I commit. The computer was a small investment to start off with, and since I hear a lot of talk of people with 2 units, and I figure that once I get a bit more experienced and know what I really want and NEED out of a computer, (well that's if what I purchased turns out to be less than I really need) I would have my back up already.

I do like Larry's rationale for the BC vs. Reg. I was leaning towards that end also (I'm a larger guy and figure that the BD would be the best next investment for me...so far I've been lucky, everyone I've dived with had larger units that were comfy...) If I have a reg set by this time next year I would be surprised (or found one that thoroughly impressed me)

It's a TOUGH task getting the equipment squared away! But I have some good (and experienced) advisors helping me (both here and locally, starting with some friends and the people at my LDS)

ccd79:
Hi Guys

Thanks, Larry. Ya, I read "Larry's rationale on BC or Reg first" already. I think I will get BC, Reg and computer all at the same time, so I have no problem on renting at all. :)
My question now is: if u have to choose Atom 1 or Nemo, which one will u get?(btw which is more conservative?) I am new to dive so I guess they all have the basic functions I want. Or I should consider Suunto Vytec? I want to get the watch(computer) that I can wear to school (one of the reason I choose Nemo and Atom one because they look more like an ordinary watch)
Any suggestion?

I was looking at the Mosquito and the Citizen Cyber Aqualand Nx. I bought a Sunnto Mosquito because its a good looking computer and was relatively cheap. You can wear it like a regular watch and it can be used with Nitrox. If you're thinking of buying your first computer and not concerned with mixing gases and other tech type diving, then you might want to check out these two. The Citizen looks like a regular watch that you can wear out to dinner and the mosquito reminds me of my old G-shock sports watch. You can sometimes find the citizen at a good deal on ebay, you just have to keep an eye out, or you can check out divetank.com for their deals on Suunto's. I think divetank.com might still have a sale on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom