buying first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccd79:
Thanks, Larry. Ya, I read "Larry's rationale on BC or Reg first" already. I think I will get BC, Reg and computer all at the same time, so I have no problem on renting at all. :)
My question now is: if u have to choose Atom 1 or Nemo, which one will u get?(btw which is more conservative?) I am new to dive so I guess they all have the basic functions I want. Or I should consider Suunto Vytec? I want to get the watch(computer) that I can wear to school (one of the reason I choose Nemo and Atom one because they look more like an ordinary watch)
Any suggestion?

The Nemo is more conservative... and more stylish looking, But it's larger too... but nor really too big - and the display is much larger, but it's not air integrated. I just got in some more of the Titanium Nemos... Pretty cool - they weigh almost nothing - but from a functionality standpoint - the atom is hoseless air integrated - the nemo is just a computer.

I've got them both here - and the nemo is almost 1/2 again thicker. Give me a shout if I can help!

Personally, I don't like computers on my wrist, so I'd get a computer in a console, and get a cool US Navy Seal Luminox watch to wear to school... but that's just me!

Larry, could you suggest some good computers in a console that have at leat Nitrox, , surface interval, temperature, depth, etc... (you know you more than me :11ztongue ). Price ranging from $250-$400. If I am buying reg, BC and computer all at the same time, kind of out of budge. So I am thinking to get a cheaper "wired" computer for now and in the future, save some money to go for the more expansive wrist one.
Correct me if I am wrong: If I am going to spend more than $400 on a computer, I'd be better off to get the wrist since they are more convenient to read and I don't need to run to my BC to check information while I am eating with my diving buddy.

RICoder:
... However, it has been my experience that while diving abroad, most divemasters will let you stay down longer and go on deeper dives with an air-integrated computer. I don't know if that matters to you, but it does to me.

It would matter to anyone.

Was there a logic offered for requiring what I take to be more conservatism with the non-air integrated computer? It makes no sense to me unless they are saying they don't trust analog pressure gauges to be correct within say 500 psi.

Henryville:
It would matter to anyone.

Was there a logic offered for requiring what I take to be more conservatism with the non-air integrated computer? It makes no sense to me unless they are saying they don't trust analog pressure gauges to be correct within say 500 psi.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you if it HAD to be air-integrated, just that everyone had air-integrated.

Personally (and this is like fighting religion and politics) I can't see any reason to have an analog gauge. Computers are going to take the entirety of the dive into account, and I would think, though I have no evidence to back it up, that they would take air consumption into account as well.

I don't want to take this thread in the direction of computer vs. analog, but I would strongly recomend getting an air integrated computer...and this is my number one reason:

My entire "official" log book is now printed 8.5x11 logs provided by Suunto Dive Manager 1.6. It captures EVERYTHING, and I religiously fill in the details of gear and notes. I can go back 3 years and see tissue saturation, air consumption, graphical dive profiles, every alarm (oops), bottom time, everything. There is just no way that a manual dive log can be as accurate or as complete. If for no other reason, I would argue that this is the single most important and best investment I made in diving...and the one I get the most out of.

RICoder:
Personally (and this is like fighting religion and politics) I can't see any reason to have an analog gauge. Computers are going to take the entirety of the dive into account, and I would think, though I have no evidence to back it up, that they would take air consumption into account as well.

I've thought that could be useful information. And have considered using AI just for that reason. But....can you still have an analog gage too? I don't want to rely on batteries and too many gadgets for my air, but I would certainly like to have the data feed from it.

pennypue:
I've thought that could be useful information. And have considered using AI just for that reason. But....can you still have an analog gage too? I don't want to rely on batteries and too many gadgets for my air, but I would certainly like to have the data feed from it.

I put the likelyhood of a computer failing right up there next to the likelyhood of an analog gauge failing. Suunto, especially, is quite experienced and makes extremely precise and durable equipment. Go look at their site and read their history.

The initial battery in my Cobra lasted well over 3 years, and was replaced ONLY because I personally felt it was getting old. Like all equipment, it requires maintanance by a professional, and I get it checked out anually with the rest of my gear.

I suppose, if you wanted to, you could drop an extra hose on your gear and bring an analog gauge with you to be super-safe, but I am not sure its necessary. I would be more likely to suggest spending that money on an inexpensive wrist computer for backup.

The word 'gadget' doesn't really do the dive computer justice. There is cheap-garbage equipment, and there is professional equipment, and that goes for everything from the wetsuit to the second-stage. I'd argue that serious computers (i.e. Suunto / Uwatec / et al) are very much more robust, durable and reliable than, say, your normal air gauge.

I say again, you cannot compare the amount of raw and accurate data from a dive computer to a manual log and dive plan. I still plan all my dives, but I also know at the end of the day that I'm going to have full details on what I've done, where I've been, and what kind of shape I'm in for my next dives. It's the silly things that get you too, like seeing regular occurances of going from 100 to 95ft and back during a deep dive...things that a graphical profile can show you that are interesting if not important. Air consumption is huge too, along with water temp...I could go on and on...

Here, look at this image...this is from a dive at Little Tunnels in Grand Cayman from 2000...I doubt I would have gotten so much info from a written log.

I know there are vets out there that will think I'm nuts, but I truly believe that dive computers are as big a jump in dive tech as the original SCUBA gear was compared to hard hats.

Hope that didn't come off as preachy.

---geeze I'm long winded---

so let me ask the dumb blond question.....on your computer info, you are only getting the tissue saturation because of the AI? Because that one little chart there just tickled me to no end!! I have not truly dove with a computer. I wore my instructor/dive buddy's on one dive just because he wanted me to become more familiar with it. (wrist mount, mares m1, i think) I truly loved it. I can never get enough information and I really don't think i want console mounted. i've already figured out that drives me nuts.

The Ni tissue loading indication is generated by the algorithm programmed into the computer. The computer, sampling the various depths based upon the rate you put in, determines the level of tissure saturation at any point based upon the current length of your dive and the average depth at that time.

The air intergration aspect serves to give you a real-time analysis of the amount of gas you are using at that moment and will give you a resulting dive time left, some with a reserve built in, based upon current breathing gas usage. The computer, once again, and based upon the sampling rate set by the user, takes the current pressure of your tank, the current length of the dive and approximates ho much breathing gas you have left at your current depth.

The two are separate functions.

I don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom