Buying first dry suit - need some insight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rico68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need some help on buying a dry suit. I’ve searched the forums, and there’s so much out there, but I’m not sure I’m finding an answer. I've never worn a dry suit, so this is all new to me.

First- fit…. Everyone agrees fit is important. I can go into one of any of the shops around here, and they will be licensed dealers for 2, 3, or 4 brands of dry suits, but only 1 model or even none in the store. How is someone supposed to get the right fit without trying it on? I’m skeptical of just ordering from the sizing charts. I’m 5’10” and according to the sizing chart for my wetsuit I should be between 6’ and 6’2” for it to fit me right. The thing fits like a glove. So much for sizing charts.

I’m losing weight, and have about 15 pounds more to go before I get to where I want to be. That made a significant difference in my wetsuit. Should there be enough flex in a dry suit that I’d be alright buying at this weight?

Second – construction…. Brands I’m seeing that are available and in the price range are Pinnacle Evo (tri-lam) and Viking Extreme (coated fabric) and Dive Rite (bi-lam, rubber). Assuming I’ve decided against neoprene, do any of these manufacturers/constructions have clear advantages over the other? And is it worth the added cost to go with vulcanized rubber?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

I have 2 drysuits, both Viking. I have the older sport model which is vulcanized rubber and the newer Viking Extreme. I like both. The rubber suit is heavier which affects weighting.

I don't dive in things which require rubber so the advantages are lost on me. IMO go with what you find locally which fits your budget. Or if you find an online dealer you trust like Bob3 PM him for a deal and ask him the questions you need to. You don't state your weight or build, those things affect fit a lot.

IMO go with a drysuit which does not have thousands of punctures in it, i.e it's stitched together. That limits your choices, but I've found those types of suits have fewer leaks over time. I think they'll all leak eventually no matter who makes them.

Thanks. I was kind of wondering if the Dive Rite of Viking were better choices due to no stitching. But that still leaves the fit issue....

I'm 5'10" and 230 lbs, 48-50 inch chest. I don't fit neatly into anyone's sizing chart. When trying to pick brand and model, it's all about fit, fit, fit... everyone recommends "try them on before settling on a brand and model. Pick the one that fits best."

Local shops don't keep stock so you can try them on. You're left having to pick from catalog, pay for suit, order suit, suit arrives but is too (short, long, fat, skinny, etc.), send back for different size or alteration, suit is returned......

By the time you get to try it on you've already paid for the suit and waited for shipping. Only to find out you don't like the way this suit feels at all, let alone sizing, and would really like to try a different brand from possibly a different dealer.

How does everyone else do this? Are there dealers that have one of every size in stock for people to try on? If not, how do you know what you like enough to buy without ever trying one on?

rico68:
I don't fit neatly into anyone's sizing chart. When trying to pick brand and model, it's all about fit, fit, fit... everyone recommends "try them on before settling on a brand and model. Pick the one that fits best."
Go custom

rico68:
How does everyone else do this? Are there dealers that have one of every size in stock for people to try on? If not, how do you know what you like enough to buy without ever trying one on?
At some point you have to make a leap of faith.

The only thing you can do is rent suits that don't fit you especially well, but use the experience to try to figure out what you like and don't like in a drysuit.

Then take a deep breath, buy custom, and be prepared in case there is a round or two of fine-tuning before it really fits you well.

I wouldn't worry about the "sewn" aspects of suit construction. Rubber suits have their advantages, but thousands of people per day dive quality drysuits without problems from the stitching.

Buy from a reputable manufacturer, and you'll do fine.

I bought my first dry suit used. It gave me a chance to see what I liked/disliked for about 25% of the cost (I have a LDS in town that features used dive gear). Then when I went to buy my own suit, I knew what questions to ask.

Oh, one thing--make sure the feet fit snug!

Hey, Jar-Head . . .

Don't buy a wet suit until you have lost that weight.

Your body shape may take directional changes that you may not be able to predict.

One thing is a given . . . if your wet suit works properly now, it will not work as well when you lose that weight.

If you were to have a loose fitting wet suit and gained some weight, the opposite would be true.

If you try to buy a wet suit now that will fit you when you lose 15 pounds, it will be too tight and restrict proper breathing. Breathing, as you may recall from your basic biology classes, is a necessary function to support human life as we know it.

Rent until you get to where you want to be with respect to weight, and then buy your suit.

the K

(By the way, I use the term "Jar-Head" with the greatest of respect)

K -

I know the weight makes a huge difference in a wetsuit, but would 15 pounds make that much difference in a dry suit?? I've never worn one, so I don't know. If it does, I really should wait.

Hi there,
As someone else said, I'd reccomend renting a couple of different drysuits to see at least which features you like (and if you like diving dry at all -its a huge investment to make if you find you don't like it!). Once you've figured out what sort of suit you want (material, front s rear entry/rubber vs soft boot etc) you might want to consoder custom fit, as other posters have suggested. Like you, I don't fit neatly into any of the sizing categories, and recently purchased a custom fit suit, which I'm really happy with. The custom fit option was "only" an extra 150 (canadian) for a Bare trilam, not sure about the price with other manufacturers, but in my case it was well worth it. Make sure you get measured up properly though! If nothing else, the experience with rentals makes you appreciate the luxury of having your own (properly fitting, non-leaking) suit!! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom