BUYING FROM LEISURE PRO vs. THE LOCAL DIVE SHOP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The parts price is inconsequential, the labour cost....!

Inconsequential! INCONSEQUENTIAL!!!! I'm paying about a nickle each for hockey puck LP seats and most o-rings. Over a couple dozen regulators, that starts to add up to a good 6-pack. What are labor costs?

Inconsequential! INCONSEQUENTIAL!!!! I'm paying about a nickle each for hockey puck LP seats and most o-rings. Over a couple dozen regulators, that starts to add up to a good 6-pack. What are labor costs?

You'd need a lot of nickles for a weeks supply of six packs for you, I'd reckon.......

The parts price is inconsequential, the labour cost are the most of it anyhow, be 10% of cost the parts. Most of the time, you'll get a better, cheaper service from a service only operator, who works out their home and doesn't have all the overheads of a full blown retail store like rent and wages to make a PROFIT!

The "service operator" concept doesn't work well in the US market. To purchase factory parts you need to be an authorized dealer or know someone that will sell you parts. Granted for most second stages a tech can put together a kit but for most first stages it is much more difficult.

As for parts cost, they are much more than 10% of the cost of the service. In the US, the labor cost is usually $25 to $35 a stage. Parts are roughly $10 for a non-balanced second, $20 for a balanced second, and $30 for a balanced first stage. So parts can easily add up to 30 to 50% of the service cost.

The cheapest regs for parts costs are Sherwoods where the price is about $15 for a first and second kit.

Going back six years to the original poster's question. Anything big, and anything that will need regular service, I buy from a Local Dive Shop. Inconsequential "throw away" items I sometimes pick up from Leisure Pro. Things that, if they go bad, I just throw them away. Things that need to have a warranty, and that I would hope to last for many years, definitely from the Local Dive Shop.

Best,
-Tim

Going back six years to the original poster's question. Anything big, and anything that will need regular service, I buy from a Local Dive Shop. Inconsequential "throw away" items I sometimes pick up from Leisure Pro. Things that, if they go bad, I just throw them away. Things that need to have a warranty, and that I would hope to last for many years, definitely from the Local Dive Shop.

Six years ago Leisurepro was mostly known for selling grey market goods. At that time the major manufacturers frowned on internet sales. Now manufacturers have embraced internet sales and Leisurepro is an authorized dealer for most of the brands they sell. The only major brand they sell that they are not a dealer for is Aqualung. For the brands they are not authorized to sell they offer an equivalent Leisurepro warranty.

:blinking:Hello Everybody,

I wanted to see if I could get some help on where to best get some equipment at a reasonable cost. I have been looking around, checking ebay, talking to the local dive shop and searching online. Since I have some experience with Scubapro and really liked them...I want to purchase scubapro regs. Here is my dilema...

The local dive shop (which is scubapro certified) is very expensive and will not discount their prices. They even wanted $200.00 for a suunto wrist gecko dive computer-which was very scratched and heavily used. Besides that, the owner is very pushy and almost berates you if you purchase equipment somewhere else and bring it in to them to be serviced. He told me that If I buy anywhere else then with an approved dealer-the warranty for the parts for life is voided and they won't honor it.

I would really like to get some nice equipment but I am back in grad school, have a house and a 7 year old daughter to care for-hense my budget is limited. I started looking at Leisure Pro for their equipment as it is so much less than the local shop. Has anyone bought from them? Do you get a warranty card that still gives you free parts for life? What happens when you have a recall issue?

Any advice would be great! Thanks. :blinking:
Hey, I'm in Midland, MI. To avoid slander and all that crap, would you consider PMing me the Dive shop with the Disagreeable personel you are refering to? I'm looking into a couple different Shops for an Ice Class next winter. Thanks Ummm.....just noticed the date of the OP. Things will most likely be quite different now. Nevermind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom