BUYING FROM LEISURE PRO vs. THE LOCAL DIVE SHOP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, there wasn't a price advertised, I just called them and asked if they had a particular vehicle, they said yes, I said I would buy it, they said for how much, and I said for whatever price is on the sticker from the manufacturer, and they said OK. Then I got a plane ticket, flew down there, bought the car, and drove it about 5000 miles home.

Yes. It was a great deal too.

In some cases, yes.

Not everyone enjoys or cares to engage in what they consider BS. They just want a price, and if they don't like it, they'll move on until they get one they do like, rather than engage in the back and forth game playing for price.

I have never had to haggle back and forth, I knew the products I wanted, I asked them to package it for me, and they gave me a price I like. And I purchased it. Not all phone calls require you to engage in what you consider BS.

Also on the website, LP has a link that allows you to tell them the product you want and they will package it for you and they will email you back with the price of your package. No BS in that process.

I am a LDS and realize the industry is changing quickly. We have found that being a SP and or AL dealer may have more disadvantages than advantages. Very good equipment but have relied on brand power to carry them and the industry has caught up. Atomic makes the best regs, end of discussion. Also check out TUSA and Sherwood. The LDS must be responsive to the changing realities. If not they won't be a LDS long. Online has improved and is here to stay. I have assisted some of our customers with online purchases when we couldn't meet the need and it has worked out well. They became loyal to us for the things we could do.

First I would like to say that professionally, I am system administrator for a major IT organisation, have bought stuff online, play and interact with people online professionally and for leisure. I have looked at mail order for me from Canada where I live and also from US sources and I go back and continue to choose my LDS. My LDS has the better overall price of which dollars is one of several factors.

I've bought all the stuff that saves my life (regs/bd/computer) & the littler stuff from my LDS. I do give them the business when I can.

But it's hard to beat some of the wetsuit/fin prices at leisure pro :). They have been fantastic to me!

Leisue Pro even let me return a suit with 36 dives that didn't hold up --for a full refund!

But all in all, it might make more financial sense to try the suits on before you order from Leisure Pro--just to save on return postage.

I am a LDS and realize the industry is changing quickly. We have found that being a SP and or AL dealer may have more disadvantages than advantages. Very good equipment but have relied on brand power to carry them and the industry has caught up. Atomic makes the best regs, end of discussion. Also check out TUSA and Sherwood. The LDS must be responsive to the changing realities. If not they won't be a LDS long. Online has improved and is here to stay. I have assisted some of our customers with online purchases when we couldn't meet the need and it has worked out well. They became loyal to us for the things we could do.

What is the name of your shop?? PM me if you wish. I live in bristol but I dive LLM sometimes.
thanks

As an authorized dealer, they need to adhear to the Minimum Advertise Price that the manufacturer set on their advertising. If you really look, ever online dealer are advertising MAP price. It is what it is.

You're right! There is no point in buying Oceanic from LP because they ARE an authorized dealer. Their price is no different that any other authorized online store or LDS.

But there is every reason to buy Scubapro or Aqualung for which they are NOT authorized dealers. The prices are much lower than any authorized LDS. And there are NO authorized online sellers.

If the economy keeps failing, this whole thing will sort itself out. Give it another year or so and we'll see how many LDSs survive. It ought to be interesting...

In fact, maybe the LDSs that walk away from Scubapro and Aqualung to peddle other quality brands that don't have MAP policies will be the winners.

But I really do have all my gear and plenty of backup so none of this matters to me.

Richard

Sure wish I could find one of these LDS people rave about. Where are they, Fantasy Island?
My LDS gives the typical song and dance that everything sold by LP is made by Chinese slave labor kids and will fail below ten feet.
Due to the limited selection, I've seen people buy stuff they were not happy with and heaven forbid you try to return something. Throw in price and that's why 90% of my purchases are online. And yes, lots of it is from LP.
Personally, I don't know why everyone is so wrapped around the axle about AL and SP. If you are worried about a warranty card, there are LOTS of other excellent regulators that you can get online (including LP) that come with a warranty card.

Last edited:
You're right! There is no point in buying Oceanic from LP because they ARE an authorized dealer. Their price is no different that any other authorized online store or LDS.

Richard

Sorry, Richard, but this is incorrect. While their ADVERTISED price may be no different than others, the selling price may be vastly different. Most companies who specify MAP for their dealers (except AL and Scubapro) do not care what the dealer actually sells the item for, so long as they do not ADVERTISE it a a lower price. LP and several others will sell, with mfg. warranty, considerably below MAP on many items for which they are authorized dealers if you call or go into the shop.

Sure wish I could find one of these LDS people rave about. Where are they, Fantasy Island?

Not Fantasy Island. My dive shop is Scuba Emporium in the suburbs of Chicago. I am very happy with them. I paid a tad bit more for my gear than LP quoted me but I got so much more than a few dollars in my pocket. I got great customer service and all of my questions answered. I got gear that fit me best and got to try it on in the pool to make sure. They assembled it for me (I am capable but don't want to do it), as well as assembled my computer hose for a computer that I did not purchase at their store. I am very happy with them. Additionally, they are a nice store and nice people. They have a large following and all I need to do it call the shop and ask if anyone wants to dive and can find a buddy with no problem. They train every other weekend and I can go also to have a great time and always have a buddy to dive with. No pressure to buy or take a class from them. I am very happy with this store and would recommend anyone in the area to come in and talk to them.

Sorry, Richard, but this is incorrect. While their ADVERTISED price may be no different than others, the selling price may be vastly different. Most companies who specify MAP for their dealers (except AL and Scubapro) do not care what the dealer actually sells the item for, so long as they do not ADVERTISE it a a lower price. LP and several others will sell, with mfg. warranty, considerably below MAP on many items for which they are authorized dealers if you call or go into the shop.

The advertised price is the only price I can consider. It is not in my nature to haggle over price. Either I like what I see or I don't.

My comments were directed specifically at AL and SP. They are the elephants in the living room. Oceanic allows online sales.

If LP wants people to call for enhanced pricing, they should say so on the home page. A phone call is cheap. Traveling to the shop is out of the question.

At the end of the day, I won't buy SP or AL stuff if I can avoid it. At the moment the only SP gear we have are masks and fins. I don't think I like the SP frameless mask and I won't repeat buying the fins. Although I would very much like to have the Mk17/G250V, I am determined to avoid SP.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom