BUYING FROM LEISURE PRO vs. THE LOCAL DIVE SHOP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, I would not put up with a snooty LDS. They need my money more than I need their services. I'd drop a snooty and/or incompetent LDS like a bad habit without batting an eye.

Secondly, I do try to support a good LDS for as much as possible. As a matter of fact, I've already discussed it with them about selling me gears even if I were to move away.

Goods points. Thanks.

So it is not a matter for our courts but rather something our elected officials need to deal with if these actions do not reflect the will of the people. I don't see it happening. Surprisingly, European consumer protection legislation must be a bit more protective as such price manipulation is not legal in many European markets. It is my understanding that European laws also requires transferable warranties and the retail sale of repair parts.

Thats exactly the point. The job of the Supreme court is to check the law for constitutional conflicts for state laws and interpret the laws as written by the legislators for federal laws and check for constitutional conflicts. Doing otherwise goes beyond there constitutional power. The problem lies in the fact that coperate america has the money and uses it to control the laws that are passed.

So, buy your regulators from Dive Rite. I particularly like the Hurricane. Heck, Dive Rite makes the parts kits and the service manual available to end users.

Fins are fins and masks are masks. Buy whatever looks like it will work and is priced competitively. HOG fins seem attractively priced and there are BP/Ws that, while not cheap, are at least no made by AL or SP.

If people really didn't like the pricing policies of AquaLung and ScubaPro, all they would have to do is refuse to buy their products. The problem is that these products are perceived to be 'better' than others. Maybe they are! Maybe not...

This recession will probably change a lot of things in the scuba industry. Maybe these pricing schemes will get wiped out.

As to LP and 'gray market' product: nonsense! There is no doubt in my mind that the manufacturers are selling direct to LP because they are the largest retailer in the country. They buy by the truckload. All the manufacturer has to do is post a little disclaimer to make the LDSs believe the factory supports them and it's off to the races.

The worst possible situation: LP becomes an authorized dealer and prices accordingly. Unfortunately, they are an Oceanic dealer. Bummer...

Richard

RANT WARNING!!!!!!

Yeah, I buy from LP/Online. Now I'm so sick of the LDS-FUD. So to dispell the myth of them being "not authorized" I did some research and these are the brands I found LP authorized for so far:

Sherwood, Akona, Genesis
Oceanic, Hollis, Aeris
Tusa
Pinnacle
Mares/Dacor
Apollo
Zeagle
Underwater Kinetics
XS Scuba
Cressi
OMS
And I'm sure there are more but I think I have enough to make my point.

So anyone saying they are not authorized and you wil die if you buy from LP/Online I call BS! I work hard for my money and am not in the habit of throwing it away. It is your money, spend it how you see fit but STOP THE LIES!!!!

Rant over.

Thats exactly the point. The job of the Supreme court is to check the law for constitutional conflicts for state laws and interpret the laws as written by the legislators for federal laws and check for constitutional conflicts.
Yeah - and it's too bad they can't stick that function.

One thing I must comment on as I read this thread is the emphasis on some specific brands and some specific online retailers. I used to be affiliated with a lds, and nothing against them, but the more I got 'out there', the more I realized the diving world is a big place. Old and new manufacturers make some great products (and some crap), and some manufacturers make regs, computers, etc for multiple brands, who just package them with their own logo. There are also some smaller 'e-tailers' who will still spend the time to communicate about product lines, manufacturer specs, and offer you the mix of personal service and internet pricing (I know, because I have been working with a Training Center that also sells several retail lines.

There is a place for a LDS, but it's a brand new world out there. The next time you're sitting on a boat next to someone, look at their gear. See something you like? Strike up a conversation. Where did they get it, do they like it, what would they change? I have learned more about gear and different configurations from talking to other divers than I ever did walking into a LDS or browsing on the internet. In the end, buy and dive what works for you. Who do you know that still dives their BC like it was when they baought it. We might modify it with a BP from one manufacturer, and D-rings from another.

If a local shop who has you in their building can't close a deal due to rediculous prices... too bad.

Online ordering is a PITA sometimes, especially with sizing and returns, but a GOOD online retailer (like amazon.com for example) can make a bundle in sheer volume and advertising. I've bought some dive knives, mask, and snorkle from LP and love them. Online is THE way to purchase for those who research a product and KNOW what they want. Those who wander aimlessly looking for "a reg" obviously need professional help... THAT's what LDS's are for.

In the Puget Sound there are about 8 LDS within 40 min or so of me. One is outright irritating to even walk into. I went there with the intent of finding a set of split fins a few years back and yes, I expected to pay big for them (comparably) but the very mention of my mask brought up the "where'd you get it" question... so I told him. LP, and it's better than any mask here except maybe the one I was looking at... for $100 less. I will NEVER go back to that shop... EVER.

Maybe in the middle of no where, in the 50's, where the LDS is the ONLY LDS could you I expect a spoiled brat tantrum, but never in a place with so much LDS competition and such a huge internet-purchasing population.

Yes, a LDS has small shop and staff to employ, but if you think LP doesn't have overhead costs like a warehouse, a server building, and SHIPPING costs, you're an idiot. Even MORE important is the shipping TIME it takes for most purchases.

If I'm pushed for time an online order obviously isn't going to cut it... so the LDS gets the nod. As they do with maintenance and small replacement parts.

If you don't want to do research on a product and want someone to sell you want they have, or are in a rush, or actually need a SERVICE that requires experience then sure... LDS. Otherwise I'm going online and you can kiss my @ss if you don't like it. :)

RANT WARNING!!!!!!

Yeah, I buy from LP/Online. Now I'm so sick of the LDS-FUD. So to dispell the myth of them being "not authorized" I did some research and these are the brands I found LP authorized for so far:

Sherwood, Akona, Genesis
Oceanic, Hollis, Aeris
Tusa
Pinnacle
Mares/Dacor
Apollo
Zeagle
Underwater Kinetics
XS Scuba
Cressi
OMS
And I'm sure there are more but I think I have enough to make my point.

So anyone saying they are not authorized and you wil die if you buy from LP/Online I call BS! I work hard for my money and am not in the habit of throwing it away. It is your money, spend it how you see fit but STOP THE LIES!!!!

Rant over.

The problem is that as LP is now an Oceanic dealer, their prices are no different than the LDSs. We were better off before they became authorized. It's only that SP & AL are too stubborn to allow Internet sales that make LP look good for their products.

Given the CNN headline that 71,400 people lost their job today and figuring that each lost job equates to 4 people not spending money, there are about 300,000 less potential scuba students and equipment purchasers. That's just today!

Prices may come down one of these days.

Richard

its not all about pricing (it is important) but it is not everything. a "good" LDS should be helpful, reasonably priced and accommodating. it sounds like the shop in the original post is none of these. find another shop.

buying online is ok, but you should try and support your local dive shop (where did you learn to dive?) every shop is someone's local dive shop.

mahalo!

The problem is that as LP is now an Oceanic dealer, their prices are no different than the LDSs. We were better off before they became authorized. It's only that SP & AL are too stubborn to allow Internet sales that make LP look good for their products.

Given the CNN headline that 71,400 people lost their job today and figuring that each lost job equates to 4 people not spending money, there are about 300,000 less potential scuba students and equipment purchasers. That's just today!

Prices may come down one of these days.

Richard

Give them a call, you would be surprise the price you can get and I pretty sure you would like the price. I pretty much brought 90% if my gear from them, and have not had any complaint about the prices.

And as someone said it is a new world out there, and with the current economical down turn, how many really have the extra money to through away. So scuba needs to stop try to get crazy margins. People can not afford it.

Back
Top Bottom