BUYING FROM LEISURE PRO vs. THE LOCAL DIVE SHOP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am so glad that I have access to a good shop within a decent distance from me. If I had to pick from an online retailer I would have ended up going for prie alone (as I would have had no other way of figuring out what to get) and then I would have been back 6 months from now either here or on ebay trying to off load all of it so I could upgrade.

I also had my mother go into the store at christmas to pick up a few things and they were just lovely to her. This is my 65 year old mom whose last visit to water deeper than the tub was before I was born.

I also found out that I can pre-buy air fills at 10 fills for $50. I am damn lucky.

Find an LDS that will support you. Drop that LDS who was being an ass, one of the many problems in this sport these days. To also look at it from his point of view, he is scared of the internet and sees these prices on LP and wonders how he can possible compete with them. Everyone has bills, right?

In the end, look for better service. I for one agree with the statement " I would pay extra for the service." I also am a firm believer of supporting all local retailers versus the international ones like walmart and home depot as long as their service is better. A smile and a hello can go a long way.

Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer you might find this interesting as Aqualung and ScubaPro do not sell direct to LP. Also, as an Autorized Aqualung retailer I have a contract with Aqualung that stipulates minimum selling prices and the Suggusted Retail Price is set by Aqualung. The issue is really more with the CUSTOMER SERVICE one recieves in the LDS and while I can not discount to LP's pricing (and I buy at the best pricing that AL offers) I do offer that extra value of a local knowledgable and hopefully (or they are fired) staff along with other intangibles like locals and service(quick) and the other things that divers want in their local shop

I'd just like to add that I check the LDS for a M17/G250V scubapro reg set. $595. He offered 10% off, so subtract $59.50, then add CA sales tax, so $575.

LP has it for $359. How much do those annual "free" parts add up to?

Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer you might find this interesting as Aqualung and ScubaPro do not sell direct to LP. Also, as an Autorized Aqualung retailer I have a contract with Aqualung that stipulates minimum selling prices and the Suggusted Retail Price is set by Aqualung. The issue is really more with the CUSTOMER SERVICE one recieves in the LDS and while I can not discount to LP's pricing (and I buy at the best pricing that AL offers) I do offer that extra value of a local knowledgable and hopefully (or they are fired) staff along with other intangibles like locals and service(quick) and the other things that divers want in their local shop
Ah, but even if you can't discount the "regulated" item, you can discount something else. Free this, free that, free something else. You can EFFECTIVELY give the same price, if you choose. You also don't HAVE to pass on the sales tax to the customer. The store has to pay a tax on its sales to the government, sure. But whether you pass that on to the customer is up to you. You could just eat it as part of doing business if you wanted to.

Like anywhere else, there are good ones and bad ones. I've tried to use the local dive shops near my home. Most carry from different brands so I can pick and choose. Each gets a little miffed if they notice I bought elsewhere or go diving with a group from one of their competitors.

The shop with the supposed "Best Reg Tech" has twice in the last four years serviced a reg that preformed far worse after annual than before. Next time, I'm shipping them to Scubatoys.

In the end, it's your choice. If a local shop is determined to win your loyalty, you'll be able to tell. If not, Scubatoys, Leisure Pro, Scuba.com and others will give you options. Good luck.

Not to hijack the thread (still kinda related). Has anyone bought a agualung, scubapro or other non authorized brand from lp and then brought it to a local authorized dealer for annual service? If so did they refuse to service it, charge for parts, or service it and not charge for parts?

And most divers would pay the $150 more, too, if they had access to a LDS like the one you describe.

Sounds like my two LDS centers - Eugene Skin Divers and South Beach Scuba.

I always "window shop" on the net to research and I find that my LDS will do their best to get closer to the net's prices. I only buy from the internet if I need something in a hurry and cannot get to the LDS.

But the point is that I gladly pay a bit extra for the service and expertise at my LDS.

drdaddy

as an Autorized Aqualung retailer I have a contract with Aqualung that stipulates minimum selling prices and the Suggusted Retail Price is set by Aqualung

If the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price wasn't set by the manufacturer, it wouldn't be the MSRP

If you have a contract that says you have to sell at that price, it isn't the MSRP

Are you're saying there's an MSRP, and a minimum price?

I've read lots about AL and others forcing dealers to sell at a particular price, but I'm confused - isn't that what MSRP was introduced to avoid?

Not to hijack the thread (still kinda related). Has anyone bought a agualung, scubapro or other non authorized brand from lp and then brought it to a local authorized dealer for annual service? If so did they refuse to service it, charge for parts, or service it and not charge for parts?

We service both aqualung/scubapro and charge for the parts everytime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom