Buying from local dive shop verse online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While we're on the "Buy Local" kick...I'd love to hear an intelligent and unemotional discussion of the complete ramifications of this concept as it relates to minimum wage laws and the race to the basement for cheap goods at the local Walmart.

In other words...:D One one end of the equation society is yelling and screaming about shipping jobs overseas...where the standard of living is lower and the wages, costs of living are a fraction of what we enjoy...hence the ability to produce goods at costs we can't even dream of matching. On the other hand, we have these fantastic discussions on boards like this of everyone trying to save a buck here and a buck there (I'm as guilty as anyone else on this front) and rushing to the "low cost leader" to make sure our dollar goes further.

Unfortunately, I think these two ideas are on polar opposite sides of the pole. We can't demand "made at home" products on one side while demanding the very lowest cost for what we buy while alternately screaming about increasing minimum wages and increasing the overall wealth and "success" of our society through better jobs. It is a true conundrum. Everyone wants to make more money, and everyone wants to pay less for what they but...making their earnings go further...and everyone likes the idea of producing stuff locally but...we need to realize that these ideas are in conflict.

bwerb:
While we're on the "Buy Local" kick...I'd love to hear an intelligent and unemotional discussion of the complete ramifications of this concept as it relates to minimum wage laws and the race to the basement for cheap goods at the local
blah, blah, blah...........
....... make more money, and everyone wants to pay less for what they but...making their earnings go further...and everyone likes the idea of producing stuff locally but...we need to realize that these ideas are in conflict.

I think the economy is changing and becoming global fast. Offshoring is not new, Intel has been doing it for years. Eventually, the cost of product development will go up overseas, and again become competative with our lowering costs........it's a good thing, we must just get through the growing pains.

bwerb:
While we're on the "Buy Local" kick...I'd love to hear an intelligent and unemotional discussion of the complete ramifications of this concept as it relates to minimum wage laws and the race to the basement for cheap goods at the local Walmart.

In other words...:D One one end of the equation society is yelling and screaming about shipping jobs overseas...where the standard of living is lower and the wages, costs of living are a fraction of what we enjoy...hence the ability to produce goods at costs we can't even dream of matching. On the other hand, we have these fantastic discussions on boards like this of everyone trying to save a buck here and a buck there (I'm as guilty as anyone else on this front) and rushing to the "low cost leader" to make sure our dollar goes further.

Unfortunately, I think these two ideas are on polar opposite sides of the pole. We can't demand "made at home" products on one side while demanding the very lowest cost for what we buy while alternately screaming about increasing minimum wages and increasing the overall wealth and "success" of our society through better jobs. It is a true conundrum. Everyone wants to make more money, and everyone wants to pay less for what they but...making their earnings go further...and everyone likes the idea of producing stuff locally but...we need to realize that these ideas are in conflict.

Very well said, A little off topic but oh well.
Everybody thinks that if they only had $1 more per hour they could live better. Unfortunately that $1 per hour means that the price of every product purchased will be correspondingly higher as well. Face it, in this world the rats have won :)

Exactly...we are currently going through a gigantic paradigm shift...(I can't believe I typed that...it's typically one of my favorites from BS Bingo!)...anyhow, we need to be able to observe and adapt to what is going on in the "big picture"...(man there's another one)...ahem...and realize that as much as we'd all like to have things going on the same as yesterday, "today is a new day"...(that's three)...and we need to learn to "intergrate"...(four)...our new knowledge in such a way to educate ourselves and prepare ourselves for the future. We can pine all day long for the "good old days" but the reality is that we are moving our society further and further away from the designed and built here model.

Whew...almost had to call BINGO on myself there...:D

perpet1:
I read all the talk about how dive shops need to change their business model to include an on-line presence. This is interesting because we all like to have local shops for things like air and last minute supplies. I do not think the two can be mutually inclusive. QUOTE]

In my post I suggested that IF they do not want to complete on retail products, find other ways.

The LDS's I use does NOT complete much with large volume retail sales chains, rather they provide instruction, service, air, etc...

Air fillups here is almost non-existant as there is NOPLACE great to dive. So each market is different, and can cater to the needs of that area and market. Denver actually would be a good place to launch an Online retail biz as it's centerally located, warehouse space is likely MUCH less expensive vs. say, LA or NY, and there is no shortage of the required Utility services, or educated population in need of jobs.

I'm personally amazed at the number of Thriving LDS's in Denver and CO since we have like ZERO great dive locations. OW Cert options include low viz, cold, boring resavoirs, or a minimum 5 hour drive to NM for Blue Hole which certainly looks better, but hardly a dream dive location.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom