Buying my first BC and Reg today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David The Gnome

Contributor
Reaction score
I got my certification about a month ago. I'm meeting my uncle at our local dive shop today at noon to purchase my first BC and regulator. My instructors all use Scubapro and are big supporters so I'm leaning towards them right now. I'm thinking about getting the Scubapro Knighthawk with the MK25 first stage and G250HP second stage. I've heard nothing but good things about either one. I was wondering if anyone here had either one and could tell me how they like it. :D

I'm also picking up some boots/fins today so any suggestions for those would be cool too. I made the beginner's mistake of buying full-foot fins when I signed up for the class.:shakehead

Have fun getting your new gear!

I have dove a Knighthawk, and it's a nice, if a bit expensive BC. If I weren't a fan of BP/W, I would get a Zeagle. Comparable to the Knighthawk are the Stilletto or Brigade, both of which can be had cheaper than a Knighthawk (see scubatoys). Scubapro is a good, long-lived brand and it'll treat you right if you go that way.

Those regs will be great.

I love Apollo Bio-fins. Try to find a dealer that will let you try them in a pool and I bet you'll like them. They feel effortless to kick but they really scoot you along. If you can get them with the optional C spring straps, do that. You can take a look at them at scubatoys if you want. Good deals can be had on them on ebay, and with Bios, used is usually fine because they are one piece of solid rubber and really don't wear out like a lot of the fins made of seperate pieces.

Have fun buying (and more importantly diving) your new gear! There's nothing so fun as getting new scuba gear :D

Get the Zeagle Brigade...A+

There is a guy on Ebay now selling his OMS IQ Pack and Dual Bladder 60lb Wing for $400.00 starting.

I recommend the Mares Volo Power fins. Flexible and really nice.

BTW, the Brigade is only available through Scubatoys. See if the LDS will let you try out a back inflate bc in their pool. It takes some getting used to, but it's great.

I've used some Scubapro regs in my pool stuff, no complaints.

Go with what you think is best. Nobody will look down their noses and say "oh you have a Scubapro reg? That's so last year!" and if they are, screw em!

Have fun! This is an exciting time! Dive safe!

The gear you're looking at is good, but have you looked around at anything else? The fact that your instructors use it doesn't mean anything and is a bad reason to choose it, it's very common for instructors to use whatever your local shop sells.

the knight hawk is awesome, if i could buy a BC right now i believe that would be the best to go with recreationally.

As for fins i agree with Humuhumunukunukuapua'a about the bio fins, number one according to Scuba Diver mag. If you cant get those babies shoot for the Atomics. There the fins i use and man ill never go back to a blade fin.

I have to respectfully disagree with the recommendation to simply go for the Bio Fins just because of a magazine or other person's rating. Please try a bunch of different fins in the water prior to purchase and decide what you want based on that.

Yes, I am one of those who hate splits...I find them floppy and hard to control (and yes, I tried the Bio Fins). My fin of choice is the Jet fin, which I have a lot of power and control with. However, the Jet fin isn't for everyone (a lot of folks get cramps) just as the Bio Fin isn't for everyone.

YOU won't know until you've tried the different types and brands.

Ok, here's my setup as of today:

Wet Suit:
ScubaPro 3M Full Wet Suit
Deep See High Top Boots
Deep See Gloves
Deep See Hood

Fins:
ScubaPro Nature's Wing

BCD/Regulator:
ScubaPro Knighthawk BCD
ScubaPro MK25 1st stage
ScubaPro G250HP 2nd stage
ScubaPro R190 Alternate

Mask/Snorkel:
ScubaPro Clear Vu 2
ScubaPro Nexus

Light:
Primary- Princeton Tec Shockwave 2
Secondary- None

Watch/Instruments:
St. Moritz Dive Watch
ScubaPro UWATEC Wrist Mount Compass
ScubaPro UWATEC Pressure gauge/Depth gauge/Temp gauge Pod

I have pretty much everything I need to dive recreationally except for a tank. I'm fine with renting my tanks for the present.

Sounds like you bought quality gear and it should see you through many years of diving. If you're like me, you may replace a couple of pieces after deciding you don't exactly like the original purchase. That won't happen with the regs. It probably won't happen with the BC unless you move toward a more technical diving style. All the other things can be replaced relatively inexpensively if need be.

Have fun with your new stuff!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom