Buying Online vs Overpriced LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I recall, "taking the piss" is akin to calling BS on someone. However, after watching several Man Vs. Wild episodes, this may mean drinking ones own piss.

I'm never sure what those blokes across the pond are thinking. I'll bet they buy lots of gear online though.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Yeah something like that...

I agree it's great to support your LDS but I live in a tourist trap and vacation "getaway" for those holiday folks, and the prices of LDS are just for those tourists. On the flip side, living in paradise and getting to know those who own that little LDS the prices tend to drop.....geez go figure!

I'll pay up to 15-20% plus sales tax (almost another 10%) over a listed online price, to keep the business with my LDS. Anymore money than that, and an online vendor gets my money.

This is pretty much my strategy, with the addition that I almost always offer the LDS the opportunity to match the price I have gotten elsewhere, and I buy my small stuff at the LDS. (Can't bear to think of the amount of money I have spent on boltsnaps there!)

I think the biggest issue is often what's available, especially if you aren't lucky enough to live in an area with a whole bunch of dive shops. If your LDS only carries a couple of brands (as many of them do) and, for example, their wetsuits simply don't fit you, you really don't have much recourse.

I think the biggest issue is often what's available, especially if you aren't lucky enough to live in an area with a whole bunch of dive shops. If your LDS only carries a couple of brands (as many of them do) and, for example, their wetsuits simply don't fit you, you really don't have much recourse.

Well said! I get weary when local versus online dive store debates always seem to descend into a question of economics. The kind of traditional snorkelling gear I like to collect and use isn't stocked by any of my local dive stores. It often has to be sourced abroad, which means that online stores are the only option. Unless local stores are prepared to offer a special-order service for unstocked items that I want, in the same way as bookstores do, this situation is unlikely to change.

That's pretty much where I am too.

My other problem is the convenient dive shops for me are run by some folks that are not-so-friendly. :mooner:

And the shop I really like is a 2hr drive round trip for me in the wrong direction of everything I do.

I still try and buy everything from the far away shop that I can, but sometimes my life just doesn't allow it and, being in Texas, Scubatoys free shipping for order over $50 gets here the next day for me. I do have to say they have excellent customer service and have always treated me VERY well.

However, the shop I frequent in Austin, Scubaland, has always treated me exceptionally well and I give them as much business as I can within reason.

I ain't made of money! :D

I am a little further South on I-35, all my equipment is from the mid 70's US Diver except for new BCs. I bought them over the INTERNET because I could not afford to pay over $600 for 1 Seaquest Pearl BC for my wife,$499 at Leisure Pro. I bought a Seaquest ProQD for $250 from a dive master in Utah that had been used in his dive classes in the pool. Very little Chlorine fading.
I was directed by my daughter in law who lives in Austin, to Toms Scuba in Austin. Kurt there serviced all my old regs,two, 1st stages and 4, 2nd stages, checked out all my hoses for around $218. I Also had both tanks, AL80's VIPed and hydroed for another $120. So if you need a closer shop and excellent work, Toms Scuba on Burnet near 2244 I think. Fast turn around as well. I also bought a US Diver 1st stage SE2,Kurt checked it out, did a pressure test and made and adjustment no charge. I can't say enough good about them. I also bought a new, no warranty, Gekko Computer off eBay that was made in May of 09 for $218. Too good to pass up. I even checked with Aqualung and they told me date shipped from their warehouse to LDS in Fla, and there was nothing stored in the computer memory. My guess is some employee at the LDS in Fla. stole it and pawned it.

:D

Last edited:
I tryed to see if my LDS would match the price for a whole regulator setup but they wouldn't. So I bought a brand new sherwood oasis setup for $400 on ebay (BRAND NEW) compared to $800 at my LDS for the same setup. I recieved it the other day and its perfect. In this day and time the LDS needs to work with us JUST A LITTLE!!!!

Regardless of where you decided to buy the gear I have one rule, NEVER EVER go to a LDS to "size" the equipment (wet suites, BCs, etc) and then order the stuff from an online store. Thats not fair to the LDS and it only fuels the issue. No LDS should be the "show room" for the online store you buy the gear from. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

2.- Is it safe to buy something like a BCD or a First stage-Regulator online in stores like LeisurePro, ScubaToys, etc..?
It's as safe as buying anywhere else. . . As long as you've done as much research as you can about the place.

Regardless of where you decided to buy the gear I have one rule, NEVER EVER go to a LDS to "size" the equipment (wet suites, BCs, etc) and then order the stuff from an online store. Thats not fair to the LDS and it only fuels the issue. No LDS should be the "show room" for the online store you buy the gear from. Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
You may just be talking to brick walls on this one. If a person didn't learn common decency as a kid, I doubt they're going to learn it as an adult from the internet! :wink:

My only problem with a lot of the LDS's (around here at least, not all but some) is they just have ridiculous pricing. I mean, almost to the point of insulting. And if you ask them if they will match online prices, they just more or less say "no, go away".

They aren't all like this, but more often than not it is what you get.

I also don't really consider buying from Scubatoys.com as "online". They are a real walk-in dive shop in Carrolltin, Texas, just too far for me to drive to. :wink:

My only problem with a lot of the LDS's (around here at least, not all but some) is they just have ridiculous pricing. I mean, almost to the point of insulting. And if you ask them if they will match online prices, they just more or less say "no, go away".

They aren't all like this, but more often than not it is what you get.

I also don't really consider buying from Scubatoys.com as "online". They are a real walk-in dive shop in Carrolltin, Texas, just too far for me to drive to. :wink:

the mom & pops LDS cant compete becuase they dont have the volume of sales an online/ chain store does, so they CANT get too much lower. I can buy tanks online cheaper than my LDS can order them from his distributor, and he has to make something on the deal..... just a fact of life these days

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom