Cablemas Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
If you live, or moving to, or have a choice of where to stay and need/want internet—beware of any connection to what has been the standard for many years—Cablemas. That is the main cable provider here for many years but they have turned into a big mess.

Two weeks ago I lost all TV and internet at my house in Corpus Christi (near the Chedraui supermarket) ITs been two weeks and all they can say is they know they have technical problems and are "working on it". Today I evacuated back to the Villa Aldora where we have both cable (from them) and DSL. I am sending this by Telmex DSL.

I have NEVER before ran into such a screwed up organization as Cablemas. If you have a choice avoid those A** holes.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

When I was at Blue Angel in May, the internet connectivity was very spotty. It looks to me like the demand for internet service on the island has outstripped the capacity of the provider(s).

It does not just look like iit but for Cablemas-- iit has happened and they don't have the sense on how to handle the problem and it is clearly apparent that they just don't care. I usually don't get involved in such things but these are really BAD people in their organization.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

When 5G wireless speeds open up in 3-5 years, all the cable companies who don't own 'original programming content' will be gone.

I got tired of dealing with Cablemas (after about 7 years of assorted problems no one tried very hard to fix) and last year switched to Telmex. I can't get HBO in English on my TV, but at least everything works. And their head office is a 5 minute walk if I need to pay them a visit. I think I read somewhere that Cablemas is to be (or maybe has been) sold and they are purposely deferring expenditures until the new owners take over.

I got tired of dealing with Cablemas (after about 7 years of assorted problems no one tried very hard to fix) and last year switched to Telmex. I can't get HBO in English on my TV, but at least everything works. And their head office is a 5 minute walk if I need to pay them a visit. I think I read somewhere that Cablemas is to be (or maybe has been) sold and they are purposely deferring expenditures until the new owners take over.

They re-branded over a year ago on the mainland to IZZI, in order to unify the Cablemas and Cablevision brands. At that time they promised to improve and upgrade the infrastructure, but to my knowledge little has changed. It's quite possible that feeble attempts have been made, but as suggested, the growth in demand far outweighs any systemic improvements.

Dear MMM,

Do you get television from Telmex and does it include cable TV networks like CNN, Fox, CSNBC? Dr. Piccolo suggested apple TV, any thoughts?

Dave

Dave - I have felt that pain in the past. I have both Telmex and Cablemas - Telmes is definitely the lesser of the two evils. In fact, I've had Telmex for 15 years, all the way back to when they were dial up only. I got the Cablemas during one of Telmex's bad periods and still have it simply because I am afraid to be without internet for that long again. In the 15 years I have been with Telmex, I have to say I have never had anything but exceptional customer service from them. When I make a report, they are here within 24 hours - at least that has been my experience. With the exception of a few times, they've had my internet back up immediately once they sent a technician out.

Telmex is my default with Cablemas as my back-up - maybe an oxymoron - haha. I am actually logged into Cablemas right now - so it is good over here in "the hood."

I would recommend a Slingbox for your TV Dave. The box is $200ish and connects directly to your cable and modem back in the US so you can log on and watch your familiar stations from home. It requires a dedicated cable/dish receiver unless there is no one back home changing the channels while you're watching here :) I have a ROKU stick i($49usd) on my TV here which is compatible with slingbox. I log on to my slingbox from my ipad and connect wirelessly to my TV. With the Roku stick you can also get Amazon Prime, Netflix, hulu, etc.

Good luck and I hope your internet woes are resolved soon.

Dave, we live on Calle 17 Sur and Ave 10 Bis. We switched to Telmex a year ago. Recently my broadband speed went from 10mb to nearly 40mb overnight. No rate increase either. It's been that way for some 6 months ago. I heard it was because they connected fiber in this area.

We use UStvnow, a subscription service, for American stations.

Very happy with Telmex.

At my shop in the US we really have to have internet so I have 2 providers coming in by different methods with a box to divide them out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom