Cablemas Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just dumped Cablemas for internet. They were great when we first got it, but it's been downhill from there. Telmex's maximum speed in my area (a few blocks SE of you, is not that great but I expect to get usable speeds. The higher-speed packages are only available a few meters away for now. I pay Cablemas for 20 Mbps service and get closer to 0.5 Mbps most of the time, so Telmex is still better. I don't watch TV, so we're keeping Cablemas for TV for now. I do have an Apple TV at the house, but all the usual caveats about geographically-limited service apply to streaming Netflix and other services on it. If you want to buy subscriptions to shows, it works great. I do not wish to do that.

I've been using Netflix Mexico and Amazon (VPN) this year and been happy with my tv offerings

I've been using Netflix Mexico and Amazon (VPN) this year and been happy with my tv offerings

How much English do you get with Netflix MX?

Tons

Mstevens, the claims of internet speeds made by service providers are very misleading. Speeds can only be guaranteed within the cable plants fiber/coax network between your modem and the service providers head end servers. That means you may get 20Mbps when you order a pizza online from the shop down the street from you but as soon as you go out of the service providers network there is no telling what horribly slow speeds you may get. Of course most of the time I'm online I am accessing sites all over the globe and rarely use the internet to order a pizza from the shop on the corner. My speeds suck most of the time too :-(

Mstevens, the claims of internet speeds made by service providers are very misleading. Speeds can only be guaranteed within the cable plants fiber/coax network between your modem and the service providers head end servers. That means you may get 20Mbps when you order a pizza online from the shop down the street from you but as soon as you go out of the service providers network there is no telling what horribly slow speeds you may get. Of course most of the time I'm online I am accessing sites all over the globe and rarely use the internet to order a pizza from the shop on the corner. My speeds suck most of the time too :-(

You don't know 'suck' until you try Cablemas.....

the claims of internet speeds made by service providers are very misleading

Ya think?

I was paying for 20 Mbps service and getting 0.5 Mbps service, tops. Now I pay for 5 Mbps and get 3.5 to 5 Mbps. When they build out fiber to my block, it'll go up considerably at no additional cost.

It gets worse. Finally closed out the Cablemas but by jumping through many hoops including being charged for set boxes I never had and coax cables which they never put in. $1400 but its done. They are harder to get rid of than herpes!

Dave Dillehay

Aldora

It gets worse. Finally closed out the Cablemas but by jumping through many hoops including being charged for set boxes I never had and coax cables which they never put in. $1400 but its done. They are harder to get rid of than herpes!

It's been 2 months and they haven't released our number so we can port it to Telmex.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom