Callin major BS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure they had stage bottles and they were just editing for the sake of brevity, but the way they described it was that it was important to deliver the specimen as fast as they could.

They may well have delivered the specimens to support divers at 20ft who brough the specimens up to the surface while the "deep divers" did a stop, breathing from surface supplied gas/02.

Note there were also probably safety divers in the water with them in case they or any of the film crew had issues.

But if I were the producer, I'd know that there would be a good chance that divers would watch the show, so I'd be a little more thorough explaining the nuances of the dive.

No you wouldn't.

:D

You think that way only because you're a diver. The show was about THE CORAL not THE DIVE.

There was also a chance that boat owners would watch the show, should they have been "a little more thorough explaining the nuances" of the boat they were diving from?

It's also possible that the various clips are not from that dive. It wouldn't surprise me if the editor didn't know much about diving (or assumed most of the viewers wouldn't notice) and just picked which ever "jumping into the water" shot he or she liked and found the matching "getting out of the water" shot to go with it.

You think that way only because you're a diver. The show was about THE CORAL not THE DIVE.

There was also a chance that boat owners would watch the show, should they have been "a little more thorough explaining the nuances" of the boat they were diving from?

True :cool2: But...it was 0230, my Keurig hadn't quite filled my first cup, and I needed something to b**** about.

sure can, been to 175 on an 80 & made a 50 min. dive out of it------In front of Inn of Last Resorts' Lagoon on Roatan, went out on a boat & 'swam' back to the little dock in the lagoon....Have a picture somewhere we took of a concrete cross dropped there @ 165 in memory of 2 local cousins that each lost out on in a 'deep dive' contest(they were shooting for 120 so 'everyone' could see it & missed the depth--it kept going over the wall)---back in the late 90's.....

In the past I've done at least 4 bounce dives to that depth per day to spear fish. We descend at probably 100 feet per minute, ascend from the deep portion at 60 feet per minute and start the ascent at a run time of around 8-9 minutes. These were high exertion, spearfishing dives and I always had enough air with an 80 cu-ft tank (although I would not do the dive without a pony bottle). We also usually hit some surface supplied oxygen for a few minutes on the stop at 20.

short hoses and they didnt die?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yes, but they had stainless steel hardware which offsets any danger of using a short hose on this particular dive.

No you wouldn't.

I agree. Directors and post production staff are trying to tell a story by connecting various clips together. "Here are the divers descending, here they collect the coral, here they ascend again. Adding deco or safety stops would, in most cases, just confuse the average viewer and wouldn't add to the story.

Post production is brutal on those who love every moment of footage they have shot. That is why most home movies are tedious.

Note there were also probably safety divers in the water with them in case they or any of the film crew had issues.

Maybe, maybe not. While many people here would consider this a difficult technical dive. To those who do these kinds of dives on a regular basis (experienced with this kind of diving), it's just a dive.

At the same time, I'd say that there's no doubt that the film crew was diving a different schedule than the actual working divers. Most likely, the film crew would have gone down a few minutes ahead of the working divers to set up their shots, and maybe even dived on rebreathers.

I agree. Directors and post production staff are trying to tell a story by connecting various clips together. "Here are the divers descending, here they collect the coral, here they ascend again. Adding deco or safety stops would, in most cases, just confuse the average viewer and wouldn't add to the story.

Definitely. This is a TV show, not a technical recap of a dive, that is just part of the story. The dive isn't the focus of the story. With divers making up a very small percentage of the viewing audience, and if the producer/director/writers aren't divers... Why would they even consider the technical aspects of the dive?

Having shot some video for a TV show that aired in Spain, we did "entry" shots about 10 times; over and over. We chose a nice day, when the water was calm, and the sun was in a good position in the sky. The final production had the best shot in the director's opinion.

Post production is brutal on those who love every moment of footage they have shot. That is why most home movies are tedious.

You ain't kidding! To take it to the extreme, I worked on a Super Bowl ad a few years ago. We had almost 30hrs of material from the original shoot and had to choose from that to edit down to a :60 and a :30. Very hard to do when you have EVERYTHING from the shoot in your head...

:shocked2:

In any case, aqualina coral grows at those depths, specifically on aqualina bank off the East coast of Florida and on Pulley Ridge off the west coast of the Dry Tortugas. Pulley Ridge gets as deep as 300 feet. Scientists like young, not-so-bright recreational divers to do these kinds of dives because they have a hard time passing these kinds of dives past their Dive Control Boards. When I was a young, not so bright recreational diver, I dove to those depths many times, solo, with a single 80 and a sherwood re-source hockey puck computer. Never put the computer in deco, either. Been bent more than once, too. It can be done, just not safely. YMMV

Frank

Back
Top Bottom