Callin major BS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several have answered the direct question, however - the object of the experiment as described was to harvest coral at that depth to grow in shallows, so as to support a theory that dead shallow reefs can be repopulated by corals below. They were after the same kind, not a different kind.

Personally, I think the Ice Age connection leaks. Yes, the world's oceans have fallen and risen during intense Glacial periods, as evidenced by the stalactites at 150 ft in Belize's Blue Hole, and yes coral reefs exposed then died to be repopulated later. However the fall in ocean depths then was slow enough that coral populations on shallow reefs simply populated deeper on the submerged rocks as the water level dropped over the years. When the water finally rose slowly, the reverse migration of the population occurred.

I did not understand his theory either. I spent a summer as a geologist back ago in the Bahamas studying modern coral reefs as historical analogs. The Bahamas Banks have been exposed numerous times. The Flower Gardens Banks are another with an unusual history or perhaps not so unusual.

Atmospheric_CO2_with_glaciers_cycle.gif

Phanerozoic_Climate_Change.png

Holocene_Temperature_Variations.png

As a geologist and a one time working geologist, when we use "slow" or "fast" in a geological sense it is not the same usage as that of a lay person's meaning. Yep, the climate is changing, has been doing so for just over 4.5 Billion years with a B.

I would love to dive the Great Permian Reef:

http://www.eos.ubc.ca/resources/slidesets/guad/slidefiles/guadc0.html

When I get my time machine finished, that would be a dive to top them all. I spent a lot of time on the Permian outcrops, it was a wonder.

N

Flower Gardens have been exposed many times, the latest time was when there was civilization in North America. Bob Ballard spent a bunch of the Navy's bucks in 2006? to bring NR-1 to the Flower Gardens and look for signs of lost civilizations at about 250 feet (current depth). If the sea level were 250 feet lower now, the Flower Gardens would be quite tall islands located about 25 miles offshore. I don't know which river it is, but an ancient river channel runs just to the east of the Flower Gardens.

Here's my expert opinion on coral: I like the red ones, and the yeller ones. They really set off the blue background.
I don't like the white ones, with the greenish tint.

Hey Nemrod, do you have any more links detailing that Permian Reef? Especially graphics? Reason I ask is because I lived at Ft Hood Texas for a while when I was a kid, and anywhere I found exposed soil, I found these little fossils we called devil's toenails. So I knew the entire area was covered with water at one time, but now I'm wondering about the relative elevations between Ft Hood and Gualdalupe Peak, so I can figure out about how deep Ft Hood was back then.

I did not understand his theory either.
Eh, it was made for TV science, so maybe faulty from the get-go - just sounded good to the producer? I don't understand the graphs but I trust that you do. :thumb:
As a geologist and a one time working geologist, when we use "slow" or "fast" in a geological sense it is not the same usage as that of a lay person's meaning. Yep, the climate is changing, has been doing so for just over 4.5 Billion years with a B.

I would love to dive the Great Permian Reef:

The Permian Reef Complex (Delaware Basin) of West Texas-slide 1

When I get my time machine finished, that would be a dive to top them all. I spent a lot of time on the Permian outcrops, it was a wonder.

N
I wonder if off-gassing would be the same then? I don't suppose N2 values have changed much, but I wonder about O2? Got to wonder how different the new reefs would be then huh?
Flower Gardens have been exposed many times, the latest time was when there was civilization in North America. Bob Ballard spent a bunch of the Navy's bucks in 2006? to bring NR-1 to the Flower Gardens and look for signs of lost civilizations at about 250 feet (current depth). If the sea level were 250 feet lower now, the Flower Gardens would be quite tall islands located about 25 miles offshore. I don't know which river it is, but an ancient river channel runs just to the east of the Flower Gardens.
They were still a long ways from the mainland weren't they? Sounds like ambitious canoeing for the Stone Age populations around the Gulf.

Yep, about like that.

The Holocene (recent) begins about 11,500 years ago. This was essentially the end of the last glacial retreat. Folsom Man and Clovis Man were in North America between, oh, top of the head, 8,000 and 12,000 YBP, I am a geologist, not an anthropologist.

The Flower Gardens Banks rest on top of a rising pillar(s) of salt as does Stetson Banks and numerous other features in the Gulf, some forming petroleum traps. The Louann Salt, an evaporite deposit of Jurassic Period is the source. The salt being "lighter" than the overlying sediments/ rock, and more plastic, literally rises like a giant scale lava lamp through the strata pushing up a dome or cap rock upon which the reefs formed.

CO2 atmospheric ranges:

Phanerozoic_Carbon_Dioxide.jpg

The O2 level has been both higher and lower than current levels, the great age of insects there were dragonflies with three and four foot wingspans, this was facilitated by higher O2 levels, as much as 35% vs 21% now.

Did dinosaurs breath Nitrox?

N

Last edited:
Hey Nemrod, do you have any more links detailing that Permian Reef? Especially graphics? Reason I ask is because I lived at Ft Hood Texas for a while when I was a kid, and anywhere I found exposed soil, I found these little fossils we called devil's toenails. So I knew the entire area was covered with water at one time, but now I'm wondering about the relative elevations between Ft Hood and Gualdalupe Peak, so I can figure out about how deep Ft Hood was back then.
You mean the fossils of large snails?

Nemrod, you sure do post some pretty pictures. Mind explaining them to someone with only a High School education (minus a few brain cells), please??

Peace,
Greg

Nemrod, you sure do post some pretty pictures. Mind explaining them to someone with only a High School education (minus a few brain cells), please??

Peace,
Greg

Just stare at them long enough and they will make sense. I got them off of a website, I think it was the Long View. I don't know, I got interested in climate when I read Nigel Calder's "The Weather Machine" and everybody was worried about the "Snow Blitz" and now look where we are!

I love it, not being political, when Sean Hannity says things like, "it is cold and there is a huge storm, so much for global warming." He does not seem to understand the difference between weather and climate. Weather is to climate as a photograph would be to a feature length movie, an instant in time. The climate is always changing, however, which is what makes the Goron's equally stupid sounding.

Limestone formation, the various processes, CaCO3, Calcium Carbonate, now there is some CO2 locked away. This is the equation:

CaCO3 → CaO + CO2

Yep, simple erosion of limestones produces oodles of CO2 back to the atmosphere where it came from, not to mention volcanic activity. I guess we need to outlaw the "Rock Cycle" next. And to think, all of those little critters on the reef busily taking it back out of the water (in solution) and making more new little baby limestones (their shells, tests, skeletons). I guess we need to outlaw them too. Al and Obama gonna be busy.

N

Back
Top Bottom