Calling Cell Phones in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could not call my dive buddy from my US phone (verizon) to his US phone (verizon, I think) while we were both in Coz. I tried every imaginable combination of not using the country code to using +1 to 001, no luck at all. My phone would just quickly disconnect. What was going wrong?
Did you try just dialing the number like you would in the US? That worked a few years ago with Verizon phones. That said, there was a change made recently for dialing Mexican cell numbers.

Just to clarify, simply using his 10 digit number as you do at home wouldn't work?

Is that a Tracphone of Verizon prepaid?

My phone wanted to automatically do +1 and his number. I would dial in the ten digits, dial 13 digits, but I don't think I dialed 14 digits (1001 and number).

I have full Verizon service, but I bought the unlocked phone from Motorola.

Did you try just dialing the number like you would in the US? That worked a few years ago with Verizon phones. That said, there was a change made recently for dialing Mexican cell numbers.

Yes, but I want to think my phone recognized the number I was dialing, and would put a +1 in front of it.

Motorola G6. I could call Mexican cell phones. I could text and WhatsApp to phones inside and outside the country. I just couldn't call him. His was the only USA phone I tried to call.

You can voicecall within whatsapp. Or facetime. Or skype. Lots of voip calling methods.

Yes, but I want to think my phone recognized the number I was dialing, and would put a +1 in front of it.
I think that would not work. Mexican phones are weird though. Way back in the day we would try to make a phone call from a phone booth with a phone card without success. After awhile a businessman would stop to help us. They usually couldn't make it work either. We would end up paying a phone call store to place the call. I have seen my cell phone able to make a call dialing one way, and a few miles later I had to add digits to the front end of the number for it to work. Mexico!

I could not call my dive buddy from my US phone (verizon) to his US phone (verizon, I think) while we were both in Coz. I tried every imaginable combination of not using the country code to using +1 to 001, no luck at all. My phone would just quickly disconnect. What was going wrong?

Did you try powering down and then powering up your phone? I've found in other locales that this allows the local system and/or your phone to find each other and make a connection.

Did you try powering down and then powering up your phone? I've found in other locales that this allows the local system and/or your phone to find each other and make a connection.

I had powered it down more than once while there, but not in this specific instance.

As I had posted earlier, I could call local cell phones (taxi) and could text and WhatsApp with USA cell phones (and MX cell phones for WhatsApp).

Ignore Whatsapp. That’s altogether different.

Can anyone recommend a place in Coz where one can get a prepaid sim card from a local carrier? I'd like to use it for data more than anything since Sprint 3G sucks in Mexico and wifi is always a gamble. Thank you.

Get a Telcel sim card.
The main Telcel office is on the corner of Juarez and 45.
This is the best place for getting any problems straightened out.
Get the 100 peso, three week plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom