Can a first stage "overpower" a cheaper octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha! What a shock to see this post today, when just yesterday i was told the same thing when I purchased a new APEX XTX200, first and 2nd. I have a new Oceanic octo which was $149.00 and the LDS said my octo would probably freeflow with the new APEX, so I'd have to take it to an Oceanic Dealer to have it adjusted before I could go diving with it, or of course take the octo back and buy a better one from this LDS. Now, I am concerned if I really need to go to the other dive shop and have it adjusted before the dive. Do they pressure test them or something?

Renee, the person who gave you that info either-

A. Does not have a clue what they are talking about, or

B. Is attempting to sell you an octo you don't need.

The solution in both cases is very simple though- find a new LDS.

Ha! What a shock to see this post today, when just yesterday i was told the same thing when I purchased a new APEX XTX200, first and 2nd. I have a new Oceanic octo which was $149.00 and the LDS said my octo would probably freeflow with the new APEX, so I'd have to take it to an Oceanic Dealer to have it adjusted before I could go diving with it, or of course take the octo back and buy a better one from this LDS. Now, I am concerned if I really need to go to the other dive shop and have it adjusted before the dive. Do they pressure test them or something?

Let me get this straight.........you purchased a BRAND NEW XTX200 and he wanted you to go to ANOTHER store to get your octo adjusted? He wouldn't even do it for you? (of course, this assumes it even needed any adjustments) Not even for the big bucks you paid for the XTX?

I think you do need to take something back....the XTX200!

D@*n, why am I not a millionaire in this environment?

Phil Ellis

If the apeks is "overbalanced" and the octo is an unbalanced downstream, which most are, in THEORY the increase in IP at depth could contribute to a freeflow; DA Aquamaster already posted about this. Since the LDS guy might know the supposed theory, having been fed that from the manufacturer, he is now regurgitating it to you. This is why the makers and some dealers of "overbalanced" 1st stages say you should buy (from them of course!) a balanced octo so that the IP increase does not affect the pressure on the closed orifice/seat. In PRACTICE, though, the IP increase is probably very small, and I have never read about anyone that has actually experienced this problem.

I have had a shop tell me the same thing. I looked the guy straight in the eye and told him he was full of crap. I have had some training in gear repair and overhaul and told him so. He backpedaled a bit, but then told me he didn't want me in his store any longer since I didn't respect his opinion. Little did he know, I would never have crossed the threshold of that shop again any way. People lose customers because of dishonesty, badmouthing other shops, talking down to the customer, and a whole variety of poor business practices. Is this why shops are going out of business or are they under so much pressure that they lose sight of their customer needs and only look at their business situation? I go to a shop here in Hampton and will pay a little bit more because I know they are honest and care for their customers.

HOLY COW !!!!!

I'll bet he has good deals on left handed Smoke Shifter as well.

Too bad I need a right handed one

.... People lose customers because of dishonesty, badmouthing other shops, talking down to the customer, and a whole variety of poor business practices. ...

Nail right on the head DennisW (should be an emoticon for that)

So does this mean LDS are putting themselves out of business and it is not the fault of on line retailers? Do you think we should tell them or let them figure it out on their own?

Why bother, since you are not providing their products, they won't listen anyway.

I think the real question here is can a first stage, if swung hard enough by the LP hose overpower a lying salesman?

:D

And yes, I'm just kidding, don't go whacking any salesmen with a first stage, or even a second stage for that matter. Maybe an inflated safety sausage, that might be ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom