Can a first stage "overpower" a cheaper octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HOLY COW !!!!!

I'll bet he has good deals on left handed Smoke Shifter as well.

Too bad I need a right handed one
When one of your turn signals stops working call me and I'll give you a great deal on a quart of Blinker Fluid.

Will GM Blinker fluid work in a Honda or would it over power it?

I almost bought an Apeks ATX200 until I heard about this issue, initially from the LDS and from Apex. I emailed Apeks to confirm the statement. I heard at around 100 ft, the non "over balanced" octo would start to free flow as the IP pressure increased. In the end, I did not buy the reg. I did not like the concept and thought it would have problems over time.

I doubt Apeks is lying about this. (Is it possible I drank the kool-aid?) If they were, I suspect there would be more comments on the web on this topic. I am not willing to buy the reg, use my old octo and see what happens. However, it would be great if someone on SB ran into this issue and shared the experience. Apeks/Aqualung makes some good regs. I doubt they are lying about this.

There is another option, don't buy an "over balanced" regulator. There are plenty of great regs that match their performance.

Tom

I almost bought an Apeks ATX200 until I heard about this issue, initially from the LDS and from Apex. I emailed Apeks to confirm the statement. I heard at around 100 ft, the non "over balanced" octo would start to free flow as the IP pressure increased. In the end, I did not buy the reg. I did not like the concept and thought it would have problems over time.

I doubt Apeks is lying about this. (Is it possible I drank the kool-aid?) If they were, I suspect there would be more comments on the web on this topic. I am not willing to buy the reg, use my old octo and see what happens. However, it would be great if someone on SB ran into this issue and shared the experience. Apeks/Aqualung makes some good regs. I doubt they are lying about this.

There is another option, don't buy an "over balanced" regulator. There are plenty of great regs that match their performance.

Tom

Well, this is a tough one. First, you would need for Apeks to tell you what an "over balanced" octo second stage looks like? Exactly how do they claim to acheive this "over balancing" in the octo? Honestly, I have never heard such rubbish. I am not a regulator engineer, but then again I don't need to be. Any medium to high quality octopus will work with an Apeks regulator. Certainly, a balanced second stage is better, but even an unbalanced second stage will work. I know because I have installed HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of them on Apeks regulators.

Finally, would a company lie to you to get some sort of competitive advantage in a market were all of the produts are the same? Well, of course not!

Phil Ellis

You have got to be kidding.....

The only 1st I know of that would over pressure an octo need to be serviced anyway...

oh but wait there were some of the older Posiden 1st that would cause octos to flow due to higher Line Pressure.

Iworked in a store for YEARS sometimes I would pop into store while on vacation and would be SHOCKED by what I would hear people being told... I think sometimes the sales person was just making stuff up (what does the customer know anyway) it was real bad before the internet... yea I've been sellin scuba stuff that long.
Interesting conversation. Many years ago my first reg was a Poseidon cyclone 5ooo, I bought it used from a friend, the octo was a Sherwood. When I took it to be serviced the shop owner told me that I should never use anything with a Poseidon but Poseidon. He added. Sherwood was possibly the only exception. So, it may be OK, but don’t use any other brands or hoses of other brands with Poseidon they can’t handle the pressure. Since I already had Sherwood I didn’t think much about it. A year or so ago I bought the Extreme Deep 90 and the octo. Is there another octo that may have worked equally as well? Wow, this is why I must learn everything I can about my own reg.
Thanks
Bat

Will GM Blinker fluid work in a Honda or would it over power it?
Brand is not important, but 8 cylinder blinker fluid will definitely over power 4 or 6 cylinder blinkers. Drivers following you could be temporarily blinded from the resulting over powered blinker flash.

Interesting... I'm familiar with the market-speak of an 'over-balanced' 1st, but never gave it much thought since I don't presently dive one. What exactly does it mean in terms of IP psi/fsw? Or is it a more likely a curve? Has anyone actually seen a measurement or spec of IP delta @ depth for an 'over-balanced' reg?

Why create a design with this characteristic? It doesn't affect balanced 2nds and it could affect unbalanced 2nds.

Brand is not important, but 8 cylinder blinker fluid will definitely over power 4 or 6 cylinder blinkers. Drivers following you could be temporarily blinded from the resulting over powered blinker flash.

Not if you upgrade to titanium piston return springs. :wink:

Hmmm ... You OBVIOUSLY need THIS stuff!!!

53.gif

Hmmm ... You OBVIOUSLY need THIS stuff!!!

53.gif

You are endangering 90% of the denizens of SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom