Can anyone ID this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a couple of INERT rounds here at the house, but I can't seem to upload their picture to scuba board. Keeps saying that I've exceded my quota, but I don't have any loaded. Anyway, the reason that the tail is hollowed out is because, inside was the ignitor. Sometimes in the older rounds, this would be a shotgun shell filled with black powder and sometimes another simular device. On the bottom of the tail section is the primer. By striking the primer, by a firing pin at the bottom of a mortar tube, the primer would fire off the ignitor, inside of the hollow part. The hollow part has holes in it to reach the outside of the tail assmply. Wrapped on the outside of the tail would be the propellant charges. Those or what would shoot the round outside of the tube at ranges up to 3000 meters.

As someone said, this is not a firecracker and if its an HE round it will kill everthing within about 15 meters.

It's prob. 50-60s era and could be very unstable.

I got the messages calls are being made I'll let you all know the turnout

What were you diving?

I did some quick research with FM 23-90. This may be a training round M69 for a 60mm. I don’t remember ever firing one and I believe the Army may have stopped using them prior to the early 80s. I’m not sure if this had some type of explosive marking device upon impact or not. On some types of mortar rounds, upon impact, if they were training, they would produce smoke or a flash.

Better safe than sorry though. Let me know, if you would like a picture of a 60mm round in better condition. It would give you a better idea of how they are deployed.

The dummies are very common in this area. I look for them everytime I dive Alabama Piont, I've yet to be lucky enough to find one though.

Mine hbas a hollow ~1 inch tube from base to ogive. I believe training propellent and impact markers were inserted in this tube. All propellent was internal. No holes in tail for an igniter to set of propellent charges around the fins like a normal mortar. But your is in such bad shape that it is hard to tell.

A little background info on what I had notice the had part.

Orange beach use to be a practice drop zone in it’s earlier days the shell I had was called a Mark 124 in the head it had a percussion cap designed to ignite the tail which was normally filled with a smoke substance or flash. I have had several law enforcement here over the last few hours with one left to guard my little find. An email was sent to the navel base over in Florida to see what they had to say about it. It didn’t take long for a reply from them they were sending a man out to retrieve it.(SAFETY) The Navy gentleman just left taking the shell with him for disposal and explaining its purpose to all of us
The bottom line Suprbuman they are live and dangerous he did stress this

Now for a lighter note I now have several police officers wanting to get their C Cards any one local want me to send them their way?

Now it looks like I’ll have to change my name here to find dive buddies or I could build it up like a Shark dive I reckon :0)

Care to share the dive site?

Did you ask for the police and the navy to arrive or did they just show up? Did the Navy guy leave with it in a containment vessel or did he just throw it in the bed of his hummvee?

B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom